Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter twelve

I was surprised later on that night to find the apartment warm, with the aroma of cooking hitting my nostrils. I found dad cooking in the kitchen and a huge smile hit my face.

“Hey, you’re back early.” I beamed as I set my bag onto the kitchen bench.

“Hi sweetie. Yep, Hawthorne called me at MDPD. Apparently Briscoe and Logan got called to a homicide last night. This means their case load is enormous, as is every other detective’s load. He warned me that Van Buren may beg me to come home early in case anything comes up, so it was probably best to make arrangements early.” Dad stated.

“Why were you at MDPD if you went to Miami to visit Uncle Raymond, Aunty Yelina and Ray junior?” I smiled, knowing I had now caught out his true intentions.

Noticing this, dad put his hands in the air as if embracing arrest and he matched my wide smile.

“You’re a smart girl. I know you’ve been catching into all of this. I’ve cooked spaghetti bolognaise, and it’s ready to be dished up. Take a seat at the table and we’ll discuss everything.” Dad said to me softly, cocking his head to the side which was a habit of his.

I only nodded in response and went to the table to take a seat. Shortly after dad came with two plates, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.

I began to feel increasingly nervous. I always pushed the thought of dad relocating to Miami to the back of my mind. It was something that would literally change the rest of my life and that seriously scared me considering I was only eighteen. But now I was faced with that confronting possibility. At least I had delicious food.

“So I’ll be honest with you. I did have an offer for another undercover assignment, this time with the Bomb Squad. An old friend is the task leader.” Dad informed me.

I only sent him a nod to show that I understood. I wanted all the facts before me as soon as possible.

“Just remember that you were my first worry. I told him you were now in senior year, so giving up the apartment for you to live with Jessica, Karen and her step dad was out of the question and you certainly couldn’t relocate with me even if it was temporary. So they offered me accommodation, the rent for this apartment for you to live in while I was gone, an allowance plus a nice pay check too.” Dad said to me.

My eyes widened in shock. It would only be temporary, plus that wasn’t a bad deal. Last time Dad did undercover work for MDPD I was fourteen, so we had to move out and I had to live with Jessica and her mother for a few months. Then when dad finished his assignment we had to find a new apartment, which was a bit of an unnecessary hassle.

“However I didn’t end up accepting the assignment. Last time I returned from that undercover assignment in Miami, Cragen was so relieved. He told me that the day I leave NYPD will be a sad day for New York. Then Hawthorne called and said Van Buren needed me. It confirmed that at least right now I’m required in New York, no matter what pay Miami-Dade Police Department may offer me.” Dad informed me.

I then broke out my biggest smile all day. I was so proud of the hunger for justice that my dad had. With cops, there were usually only two categories, good or bad. But even the good cops could become unmotivated and lazy, which in turn affects performance. Not dad though – just pursuing the course of justice and taking bad guys off the street was enough motivation for him. He was a rare breed, that was for sure.

“So now that is out of the way and we’ve established that I’ll be staying in New York…what did you get up to today?” Dad asked me.

“Jessica and I got coffee and then went to the skate park. Jessica is having issues with her current crush so she dragged me to the skate park to help her find a new one. Didn’t work.” I giggled.

“Oh dear, is it the one in Queens you used to always go to when she had a boyfriend there?” Dad asked me.

“Nah we stopped going to Queens altogether when Jessica and Shane broke up. She’s too scared she’ll run into him so we went to-“ I began to explain, but the phone ringing cut me off.

I sent dad a sympathetic look. It was pretty obvious who was calling at this time of night. Dad did have many friends, acquaintances and contacts and our phone was quite busy. But considering the time of night and the fact that he was expecting Van Buren to call, it was obvious that it was most probably going to be her.

“We’ll finish this conversation soon, okay?” Dad asked me.

I nodded, and began to eat slowly. If I put my fork down it’d be too obvious I was eavesdropping, but if I continued to eat at the pace I was eating at I wouldn’t be able to hear the conversation. I was curious.

“Caine residence, Horatio speaking.” Dad answered formally.

“No, it’s no problem at all. I returned early because I know you’ve been stating that every detective team have too many cases at the moment. When Roger told me that the last case went to Briscoe and Logan, I knew we’d be called to the next one. So I’m not fussed in the slightest I had to come home early.” I heard dad state.

There was silence for a few moments, obviously whoever was on the other end of the phone was speaking.

“Not a problem. I’ll go down to the precinct now, and I’ll give you a call at home later tonight, or if it’s too late I’ll speak to you tomorrow at the precinct. Please try and enjoy your family dinner.” Dad said, before saying goodbye to the person on the other line and then hanging up.

“That was Anita. There’s been a homicide, both Roger and I have been called in. I’m really sorry that our dinner needs to be cut short. I can’t say when I’ll be back, but we’ll have another dinner sometimes soon, okay?” Dad said to me.

I only nodded, as I began twirling the spaghetti around my plate with my fork.

I wasn’t mad, I was used to my father being called away on short notice when a homicide, rape or another serious case had been called in. It also got a little easier with time as I learned to anticipate it and make the most of the time I had with him. It still sucked, though.

I guess I was also worried that Lennie and Mike would be at the precinct working on one of their cases, and I was worried how Mike would now act around my father.

I grabbed my dad’s coat and keys for him, to which he thanked me as he walked out.

Sighing, I went over and turned on the tv as I took the two plates to the kitchen sink. Dad’s was still half full, so I put it into a plastic container in the fridge. I then began on the dishes in the sink.

I felt sorry for my father; because of his job he never had time for any romances. He had been seeing a few women since my mother died but nothing ever really blossomed due to his work schedule. Nothing had even become serious enough for me to meet them.

At least the kids at my school who had big shot businessmen, or lawyers as dads who were always busy had nice incomes coming in.

I guess the pursuit and application of justice was considered a good income for my father, and I smiled proudly as I began putting the dishes away.