Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter fourteen

“…and don’t get me started on girls who then complain their Valentines Day wasn’t perfect. Bitch please; did you do anything special for your man? No. I’m sure dishing out hundreds of dollars to keep your shallow ass happy wasn’t his idea of a special day either sunshine!” I ranted loudly, after ranting for ten whole minutes about how much I hated Valentines Day.

It started with Tony and I discussing it, when a few detectives came into the previously empty room to work on paperwork. Two people were also in the cell lockup who were listening intently and ended up joining in.

I now had a full room full of criminals, uniforms and detectives all agreeing with my rant on why Valentines Day sucks.

“Beauty brains and humour. What’s this one doing in a police station?” I heard a criminal call from the lockup.

“She’s not a criminal obviously or she’d be in there with you. Her dad’s a detective.” Tony called out to the criminal.

The criminal let out a low whistle before continuing.

“Damn, too bad your daddy’s a cop. You’re seriously hot, daddy shouldn’t let you out of his sight. If you like I’ll be your daddy, come over here and I’ll spank you.” The criminal winked at me.

Before I could coolly reply ‘no thanks’ a certain detective who had entered the room a few minutes ago and was using the photocopier strode over to the cell bars quickly, and gave them a big thwack to scare the criminal in there.

“What did you say about her? She’s a high school senior, and saying that in a room full of cops who happen to think quite highly of her father is a stupid move. Do you want to try that again?” Mike snarled at the criminal.

“She’s barely legal? Daaaaaaamn. Come here girl, I’ll give you such a good time you’ll wake up in hospital screaming my name.” the criminal said, making direct eye contact with me.

I shuddered, feeling dirty. I no longer cared about what Mike would think of me anymore, I just wanted to get out of there. Coming down here was stupid, I should have just told Tony I was more than happy to wait outside no matter how long dad took with the suspect.

Mike then went to strike the criminal from the other side of the bars, but every detective in the room ran over and grabbed him and restrained him. They let him go after a few seconds when he had calmed down enough to not continue to attempt to attack the criminal. He then took his frustrations out on Tony.

“You’re an idiot.” Mike snarled at him.

Lennie walked over to Mike and put his hand on his shoulder.

“Mike, I’ll finish up this paperwork. I think Emma is a bit shaken up and needs a lift home. You take Emma home, I don’t think Horatio will be back for a while.” Lennie said to Mike.

I sprung up out of my chair quickly.

“You know what? I’m going for a walk. It’s nice, it’s peaceful and it’ll clear my head of things.” I said quickly, making a beeline for the door, shoving into people accidentally as I didn’t bother looking back, or hearing what remark the criminal was going to make.

I thought I had made it out of the precinct safely, but I heard my name being called as I exited down the steps quickly and assumed it would be Mike as I turned around.

“Don’t be ridiculous, there’s no way in hell I’m letting you walk home after that episode.” Mike snarled at me.

“Are you here to lecture me about how I deserved it because I let myself be so close to criminals? And poor dainty me needs a ride home because I’ll just get myself in trouble again? Whatever Mike, just go home!” I argued.

“Don’t be a moron, you’re better than that. Just let me drive you, okay?” Mike said to me, and I said nothing but began to follow him to the locked parking lot of the station.

I got into his car and he started it up. I bit my lip, the tension was so thick in the air you could slice it with a knife. I knew Mike felt awkward too, which made me feel a little easier knowing I wasn’t the only one and I didn’t feel as if he felt I was obsessing.

“I must say I did enjoy your rant on Valentines Day. It gives me hope that some of the female population out there see the truth about Hallmark Day.” Mike chuckled.

“That’s what I call it too,” I smiled “At least it stimulates the local economy, we have one thing to be thankful for.”

Mike took one look at me, and immediately swung his car into the left lane, earning a few honks from disgruntled drivers on the road. As immediate as his lane change was, he took a quick left down the next street too.

“Why are we going this way? I’m sure you’re aware my apartment was further straight.” I asked Mike.

“We’re going to a coffeehouse. We have a few things we need to discuss.” Mike said to me, not taking his eyes off the road as he ventured down the street.

I stayed silent, unsure about how to answer. He seemed adamant on the fact that we needed to discuss whatever it was, and I knew it would be futile to probe into what he wanted to discuss until we got to the destination.

At the same time, I felt really anxious and had to stop myself from biting my nails. I instead opted to bite my lip, and I had to be careful as if I bit any harder I would be drawing blood. What did he want to discuss so badly, anyway?

He eventually settled on his target, finding a busy coffeehouse a while away from the precinct. It was obvious he wanted to find something that was far away enough from the precinct that no one we knew would be a regular in here, and the chances of running into someone you know in Manhattan at a coffeehouse a while away from your place of work/residence was really low.

We ordered our coffees, and before I could at least offer to pay for mine Mike slammed a bill onto the counter, and dragged me to the corner of the busy coffeehouse, where the odds of being seen were even slimmer.

I knew now my curiousity would be quashed, as Mike would now be open to discuss whatever he needed to talk about.