Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter two

“Here you go honey, I saved it for you just as I was putting away food and closing shop. I knew you’d be coming by.” The owner of the shop I was currently in said, as she sent me a wink and handed me a plastic bag, a meal inside it.

“Thanks Natasha, you’re a legend.” I beamed at the middle-aged woman, handing her the exact change, as I had made this transaction so many times before.

I said goodbye as I walked out of the small shop. I knew this woman quite well; I came to this shop a few times a week. I’d usually stop and make small talk but I could tell she was in a rush tonight, she had packed away everything early and although she was polite as usual she was quite brief towards me.

I was too lazy to dig my Walkman out of my schoolbag again, as I now had a plastic bag in one hand, with my school bag slung over the other shoulder. The walk to the 27th precinct was only a few minutes, one of the reasons why I first started coming to the shop.

I tried to dart through the crowds walking down the street, being a little impatient. As it was after five, peak hour was in full swing, with many crowds beginning their commute home. It was the middle of January and I was freezing. I was only coming home from school now, and our uniforms were designed to look good not for warmth. I wanted to get into the police station as quickly as I could.

After accidentally hitting someone with my schoolbag on the way in and apologising profusely, I made my way up the stairs and into the station.

I waited patiently at the front desk, waiting for someone to acknowledge me. I knew most of the uniformed police officers who had shifts manning the front desk, but not all. I was hoping someone I knew would be working it today; I couldn’t be bothered explaining who I was and why I needed to see my father.

Luckily I was greeted with a regular, who was in a rush so they greeted me with a smile and said they’d grab dad for me. Score! Didn’t have to explain myself or socialise.

I only had to wait no more than a minute, as my dad came out the door that led through to the rest of the police station.

“Hey sweetheart, how was your day?” Dad asked me, engulfing my figure into an awkward hug, as my big schoolbag made it difficult.

“Not too bad. I decided to stay back and study in the library for a while, so when I get home I can crank up the heater and watch television tonight. I’m looking forward to it.” I brightly beamed.

Dad sent me a frown, and I cocked my head to the side. Was that a bad thing? Was he saying he wanted me to study when I got home?

“Have you rolled up your school skirt again to make it shorter? Emma you don’t need to do that.” My dad lectured, and I looked down so he wouldn’t see me roll my eyes.

“It gets in the way walking home from school, so I roll it up because it’s more comfortable.” I lied quickly, using my usual excuse and earned the same old blank stare from my dad.

“Good evening Horatio, Emma.” I heard a familiar voice greet, and I turned around to see Lennie Briscoe standing there.

Lennie used to be partners with my dad, a long time ago. They were definitely closer in their youth and partnership, but they were still on friendly terms and occasionally caught up outside work. Due to my father being catholic, and Lennie’s second wife being catholic, Lennie sent his daughter to the same schools that I attended. Jessica Briscoe, she was my absolute best friend and Lennie’s daughter and my longest friend. Therefore I knew Lennie quite well.

However, a second man was standing next to him. He looked a little younger than my dad, and I turned bright red about the previous conversation with my dad.

“Hi Lennie, Logan.” Dad greeted, just as I called out a polite ‘hello’ as well.

“Mike, this is Horatio’s daughter Emma. She’s Jessica’s best friend.” Lennie said, introducing me to the second man. I then remembered Jessica mentioning her father’s partner a few times, and realised this was him.

“Nice to meet you.” Mike said, offering his hand. Although his actions were polite, he said it with complete apathy that showed he wasn’t really interested.

From the corner of my eyes I could see my dad give Mike a disapproving stare, obviously unimpressed with the way it was said. I on the other hand gave him a smirk.

Although there were lots of staff at this precinct and dad was in no senior position whatsoever, everyone thought very highly of my dad. He was polite to everyone including the uniformed staff, and he was good at what he did. Therefore everyone would always gush over me in respect of my father. ‘Oh Horatio she’s so pretty!’ ‘Your daughter is absolutely lovely’ ‘I wish my kids were like you’ it was refreshing that for once, someone didn’t really care about me enough to not extend conversation.

“Likewise.” I replied, adding a little bit more tone in my voice than he did, but still using a near vacant reply, taking his hand.

“So Dad, here’s your chicken salad. Not only is it important for your health to have a balanced diet, how are you to catch criminals without a healthy dinner?” I said to my father, handing him the plastic bag with the boxed up meal.

“Thanks sweetheart” Dad responded, giving me a kiss on my cheek.

“This is what I was telling you about that one time. Emma constantly brings in dinner for her father, worried about his health and eating habits.” Lennie explained to Mike.

“Well that’s nice.” Mike responded, keeping it brief.

I only nodded as a response, not really sure of how to reply vocally.

“Where are you two off to, anyway? I heard you have two priority cases, times are pretty tough at the moment.” My father asked Lennie.

“There must be something in the water.” Mike responded, and I only gave a small smile at his joke, something I realised he had caught, making me blush a little.

“We have a witness we need to question, just around the corner from your block actually. She’s refused to be questioned until tonight, saying this is the only time she’s free to answer questions. Must be such a stressful life she leads, right?” Lennie responded to dad’s question, adding a twist onto the end.

“Oh! If it’s not too much to ask, would you be able to drop Emma off on the way? It’s quite cold outside, and she has to roll up her skirt apparently as it gets in the way of her walking. I’d hate for her to get sick.” Dad asked Lennie.

“Of course. Would that be okay Mike?” Lennie turned to his partner.

Mike only gave a shrug as a response, but beforehand had snickered at my father’s comment at my skirt.

“Oh, you guys don’t have to. It’s okay; it’s only a fifteen-minute walk from here. I could even get the subway, it’s only two stops and that would get me out of the cold.” I quickly protested.

I felt a little uncomfortable accepting a ride from Lennie. If it were only him I wouldn’t feel bad, especially considering it’s meant to be on the way. But I could tell Mike was a certain kind of person. I couldn’t read him well, but he wasn’t warm and friendly. Definitely not the kind of person who likes having the presence of an eighteen year old high school senior around whilst he was meant to be working.

“Nonsense, I wouldn’t let you catch the subway when it’s no trouble to drive you. We don’t mind, honestly. But are you ready to go now?” Lennie asked me.

I slowly nodded, not wanting to waste any time arguing as it was obvious he wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

I hugged my father goodbye, and told him I’d see him later and then followed Lennie and Mike.
♠ ♠ ♠
Obviously this is the real start.