Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter twenty one

It was now Friday night, the night that Eric and I had agreed to hang out.

I had been speaking to Eric every night on the phone, and it was something that was beginning to cure my boredom. Because Eric was in Miami, and I was in Miami it was only a local call so I could chat to him for hours and our respective families would only need to spend twenty-five cents, it was grand.

Uncle Raymond and Aunty Yelina had a cordless phone so I could take it into my guest room without being interrupted. I didn’t have to worry about waking anyone up either as the top storey of the house was only shared with Ray junior, the other guest room and Uncle Raymond and Aunty Yelina’s room was on the bottom floor. Which meant that Eric and I always stayed up late talking to each other.

I learned a lot about him in a short amount of time, and it was strange yet normal I had only met him once.

His full name was Eric Delektorsky, and he was born in Miami not too long after his family came here from Cuba. He has three elder sisters, Abigail, Leah and Marisol. His father owned an engineering firm in downtown Miami. His mother volunteered helping out other Cuban immigrants. He was on the senior swim team and was pretty sure he would get a swimming scholarship for the University of Miami. He was Roman Catholic like everyone I seemed to know, but he described himself as ‘not devout, but I still follow the basic rules and consider myself catholic’ and to be honest it was quite nice to not hear about someone say how their family was catholic but they were rebelling. Eric liked the nice values and morals of Catholicism and followed it if only to be a nice guy.

As much as I liked Mike, it was nice to be able to bond with a member of the opposite sex my own age for once. It felt normal, and I was completely at ease with Eric. Even though my father had not met him, he knew all about him and everything was out in the open.

I tried to push all thoughts of Mike to the back of my mind. We weren’t official, and besides it’s not like anything would come out of what Eric and I had. We were friends, and I’d be going back home to Manhattan in just over a week. Everything would go back to normal and none of this would matter.

I had the house to myself until Eric was going to pick me up. Uncle Raymond, Aunty Yelina and Dad had gone out for dinner and a movie. Ray Junior was dropped off at a family friend’s house. I was invited to go along for the dinner and movie but I told them I had plans with Eric. Dad of course was a little sceptical as he had not met Eric, but Aunty Yelina convinced Dad that Eric was a fine young man and he reluctantly agreed.

Just as they were out the door, Uncle Raymond told me I was allowed to call Jessica and talk to her for a while whilst they were out. I had decided to take him up on his offer after I had a bath, which I just finished.

I towelled myself off, put on my pyjamas and threw my wet hair up into a towel before I dialled Jessica’s number, including the code. Her extension rang out, and it became obvious to me she was probably at Lennie’s for the holidays.

I found my address book, punched in his number and jumped onto the bed to get myself comfortable. After a few rings, Lennie answered the phone.

“Oh hi Lennie, it’s Emma here. I was just wondering if Jessica was spending the holidays at your apartment?” I asked Lennie.

“Oh hi sweetie, I hope you’re having a wonderful time in Miami and I’d love to hear all about your vacation when you get back. Hang on a minute, I’ll just go grab Jessica for you.” Lennie said to me.

I heard him put down the receiver and shout ‘Jessica! Emma is on the phone to you from Miami!’ and I heard her shout something inaudible back. A few moments later she stated she was taking the phone into her room ‘because the cable is long enough’ and I heard her move the phone, and a door slamming shut. A few moments later, she was finally able to talk.

“So a certain detective that is partnered with my father is over right now discussing a case, who’s head shot up the second your name was mentioned.” Jessica giggled to me.

“R-really?” I stuttered.

“Yep! I’ve also been closely watching the two work. I don’t know how he’s been the rest of the week, but he’s been really distracted today. When I’ve seen them work together, he usually has his full attention on the case, almost as if he’s waiting for an opportunity to say a cocky remark. But he’s been distant, he hasn’t said any cocky remarks and he’s been staring into space and tapping his leg a lot. Even Dad has noticed, he asked him but Mike gave a crappy ‘I’m tired’ excuse, which I don’t know if dad believes or not. He almost said something too when I took the phone into my room, but quickly shut his mouth as he probably knew how weird it would look. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was trying really hard to listen in right now.” Jessica stated, and I could hear the smirk in her voice.

I didn’t know what to feel of this. I had thought about Mike a few times on this trip, but after about day three I stopped letting it affect me. It all seemed to mellow out once I found Eric to distract me, even though it was meant to be something completely platonic. I felt happy that he clearly missed me, but that guilt that stabbed me when I first met Eric had returned. I also felt a little sorry for him, my feelings for him were strong and I didn’t like hearing about him being like this.

“Great, now I feel guilty.” I confessed, letting a sigh at the end.

“…Why do you feel guilty? What have you gotten up to? Made out with a few cute boys?” Jessica asked me.

“Stop trying to live vicariously through me, my trip to Miami has been fairly boring. But um, well Mike and I are non-official; I think that gives me a license to look and not touch. I might have also met a very attractive Cuban boy that is very tanned and has a great body.” I admitted, my face heating up even though this conversation was over the phone and not in person.

“Oh? What has been going on with this cute Cuban boy?” Jessica asked me.

“Nothing! In fact, I’ve already told him I’m already seeing someone. But he’s a nice guy, we met at a café and we’ve been talking on the phone every night. We’re also catching up tonight. His attractiveness makes me feel a little nervous though, like he’s really, really hot.” I said, not being able to contain my squeal at the end.

“You bought your camera yeah? Take photos, get them developed and send them to me ASAP. I’d get them in a day or two if you sent them on Monday.” Jessica said to me.

“I will, I’ll be at the post office first thing Monday morning in order to send you photos.” I beamed.

“So what’s on the agenda tonight? You guys are hanging out, that sounds suspiciously like a date…” Jessica concluded, trailing off.

“It’s not a date. I told him I’m seeing someone, he said he wants to be just friends. I mean, sure he’s picking me up, and taking me out and stuff, but it’s not a date!” I protested, my face heating up.

“Uh huh, riiiight. I’m looking forward to hearing what your thoughts are after this date happens. On another note though, urgh, you won’t believe the week I’ve had.” Jessica whined.

***

“So my spring fling turns out to have a boyfriend back home in Alaska! I mean, couldn’t he have told me at the end of spring break instead that he’s gay?” Jessica concluded, and I let out a snort.

“Who goes to Manhattan for spring break? I mean, come on. Miami wouldn’t be too bad if I was college aged, so that should have been an option for him, but he should be at Tijuana or at least California or something. You should have known something was up with his poor choice of destination.” I giggled to Jessica, who let out a less than amused grunt.

On the other end I heard a knock at her door. She screamed for the person to come in, and I heard a barely audible male voice come in.

“Your Dad has gone to the café for a coffee run in case you’re wondering where’s he’s gone. He said he would bring you back a slice of cake or something. Also, when you’re done talking can I speak to Emma for a moment? It’s regarding her dad, that’s all.” I heard Mike say to Jessica, and I had to hold down a cackle at how absolutely fake his excuse was.

“Um, alright. You know what? I’m running late anyway. Simon from school is holding a party tonight and I need a new spring fling, so I need to shower and look hot. Seeya Emma, send me those photos and write to me or something and I’ll see you in about a week. Mike needs to speak to you about Horatio.” Jessica said, and I heard her bound out of the room as Mike grabbed the phone.

“So what’s wrong with Dad? Hope he’s okay.” I snickered to Mike.

“Well what was I meant to say? But god, it sounds amazing to hear your voice. You know I don’t like talking about feelings and all that crap, but I really do miss you.” Mike said to me.

A smile then appeared on my face, and all my guilt melted away. All that mattered right now was Mike and I were talking. I didn’t care that I was about to meet up with Eric, or that I less than secretly found him attractive.

“It’s good to speak to you too. I’ve missed you a lot; it’s absolutely wonderful to hear from you. What have you been up to?” I asked Mike, the smile on my voice clearly evident in my voice.

“I…really haven’t been doing much. We need to have a talk when you get back, and not in the breaking up with way. Actually, the opposite. There’s just too many emotions involved that I think are best said face to face.” Mike said to me, and he said so many things at once I had to take a second to let it all sink in.

When it did, I smiled to myself. It was nice to feel well and truly missed, and to know that Mike definitely did care about me, the same way that I cared about him.

“But please, do tell me what you’ve been up to. I’m sure your week has been much more exciting than mine.” Mike stated to me.

I then froze for a few seconds. If I was going to tell Mike about Eric, now would probably be the right time. Well, perhaps not. It’s probably better to tell him face to face after I get back, so he doesn’t jump to conclusions or spend his time worrying about what I might be getting up to with a boy of the opposite sex.

“Eh, not much really. As I told you one of the first times I met you, there’s nothing here for an eighteen year old to do. I don’t even know anyone here, so it’s so boring,” I huffed, then quickly added on “I also miss you a lot, so that isn’t contributing.”

“Aw, Emma, I cannot even put it into words how much I miss you. Unfortunately I have to go, Lennie is due back any second and I don’t even have to make a sarcastic remark about how he would think should he-“ Mike started, but I finished.

“See you in his daughter’s room chatting to her best friend on the phone? Yeah, yeah I know. Take care, okay? I worry about you.” I frowned.

“I will. You take care too, I’ve bee worried about you.” Mike said, and I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“I will. Alright, seeya.” I quickly said, cutting off the phone as I found the whole goodbye think awkward.

I giggled to myself as I collapsed onto my bed. That was such a great conversation with Mike, and I could tell he really cared about me and missed me. He wasn’t his usual sarcastic and cold self, he was sounding like he was lovesick. It had put me into a really good mood.

I looked over at the clock that was placed on the bedside table. I noticed that Eric would be here soon, so I quickly jumped up to finish getting ready.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had such an amazing day of writing today, haha. I had a nice shower and washed my hair, watched an episode of Law & Order and then wrote this in my bathrobe in my five-star hotel room that looked over the Sydney harbour. It was great.