Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter twenty four

The second week in Miami definitely went by a lot faster than the first. This week I had seen Eric every day, so having something to do rather than sit at Aunty Yelina and Uncle Raymond’s home definitely made things a lot more fun. We had been roller-skating, we had been bowling, and we were down at the beach everyday. I had bought a disposal camera and had sent Jessica a few snaps, with a note attached begging her to make sure Mike never saw those pictures.

The one time Eric came to hang out here, Dad was out at a dinner networking with his Miami contacts in order to maintain the existing ones and to attempt to create new ones. Aunty Yelina and Uncle Raymond liked him so much they asked him to stay for dinner. After he went home, Aunty Yelina and I had a cup of tea in the lounge room, whilst Uncle Raymond went to his study to do some work.

“You like him, I can tell. The way every time you looked at him with adoration when he spoke, and your body language towards him the entire time. You can argue all you want, but it’s my job to observe people like this.” Aunty Yelina said to me.

I sighed, but just smiled at her. There was no point arguing with her, she had a point. Besides, she didn’t know about Mike, so I didn’t have to defend with her.

“Maybe just a small crush. But I’m not naïve enough to let it become anything serious. Nothing can happen, I’m going back to Manhattan, and I’m not prepared to do something long distance and I don’t think he is either.” I swiftly replied, to the best I could without mentioning that I was seeing someone back home.

“Yes, it is such a shame. You two would be a perfect couple. Oh well, if things fall through with NYU, you’re considering University of Miami. Let’s see where fate takes you.” Aunty Yelina said to me, before going to attend to Ray Junior as he began crying loudly upstairs.

But tonight it was the night of the prom.

Eric’s dad had ended up giving me some cash for my expenses. I went over to his house for dinner one night as well, and Eric announced to his parents that I was going to accompany him to prom. Whilst his mother squealed in delight, his dad was impressed the most. He said that by taking a ‘beautiful’ date to prom, it would improve his social standings during university and would help with his scholarship. He also said photos with a pretty date for high school prom could do wonders during his life, and as his father he would proudly display photos in his office.

Eric’s Dad ended up paying for my ticket, paying my way towards the limo and gave me quite a nice sum towards buying me a dress, with my auntie and uncle, and even dad contributing just a little more so I could buy a really nice dress. I would use the same dress for my own prom; I was thrifty (and dad wasn’t as well off) like that.

The dress was silky black and strapless, and hugged my chest and upper torso tightly. There was a big white bow that tied up on the left side, and underneath the bow the dress flowed out down to my knee.

Aunty Yelina was doing my hair and make-up, while Dad and Uncle Raymond were downstairs drinking some scotch. Eric was due to come over anytime, he was picking me up to drive me to his house so we could both have some photos with our respective families before the limousine would pick us up with all of Eric’s friends to take us to prom.

Another interesting event was happening tonight. Two friends from school – Millie and Amanda had been on a cruise all of spring break. The cruise ported in Miami this afternoon, and their parents had paid for them to stay in a penthouse at the downtown Miami Hilton for the weekend. They had called my Uncle’s house today from their hotel room, and I told them all about how I was going to Eric’s prom today. They begged me to recruit people to come around afterwards for a massive party in their hotel room, and after calling Eric, it was confirmed we could at least get numbers for a ‘gathering’ I was hoping to round up more people at prom because hey, although I was usually shy, I was still a Caine, and we all had lots of charm.

Aunty Yelina had curled my hair with her expensive curling iron, and used expensive make-up to give me natural looking make-up. Jessica and I never caked on our make-up, however we usually made our cheeks quite rosy and our eyes either light or dark, so it was different to what I usually wore but it was nice for a change.

Just as I heard the doorbell ring, Aunty Yelina had turned me around to face her, as she looked me up and down.

“You look very pretty, but something’s missing, give me a moment.” Aunty Yelina said to me, and quickly rushed away leaving me to wonder what was going on for a few moments until she returned.

“Your beautiful dress deserves a pretty necklace, and because your uncle likes to spoil me with jewellery I can spare a necklace. Please keep it, you can use it for your own prom as well.” Aunty Yelina said to me, and approached me to put it on.

“Oh no, I can’t take it from you. It’s really nice, and it’s so kind of you to offer but I’d feel too guilty. Besides, it was a present from Uncle Raymond. I don’t know if he would approve.” I frowned, trying my hardest not to admire the beautiful necklace.

“Don’t be silly. I was talking to him about giving it to you before you went home so you’d have a nice piece of jewellery to wear to your own prom in May, and he thought it was a great idea. Go on, take it.” Aunty Yelina smiled, and I smiled back to show I was ready for her to put it on me.

It was made of white gold, and the pendent was heart shaped. In the middle was a moderate sized diamond, and my guesses were that it’s real.

“Now you should probably go grab your purse and save your date from your overbearing father being protective of his only daughter.” Aunty Yelina joked at me, and I smiled and grabbed my purse off the bathroom counter before bounding down the stairs.

I was expecting dad to be grilling Eric, but instead I saw Eric, Uncle Raymond and dad in the lounge room, laughing and talking.

“Emma, you’ve picked a good friend. Out of everyone in Miami for you to be spending time with, I’m glad it’s this gentleman. You know I’m a good judge of character, and I’m getting a great vibe from Eric here.” Dad smiled at me.

“See, I told you he’s a good guy. We’ve had this discussion before, I inherited good judgment from you.” I smiled brightly at my dad.

“Well, I’m glad it’s improved since. You used to complain you got a bad vibe from Profaci, he’s just an over enthusiastic young detective at the precinct who doesn’t realise he can get on people’s nerves. I’m sure you’d say the same about any other young detective.” Dad shrugged.

“Maybe I’m just older, but I didn’t get the same vibe from Lennie’s partner, Mike Logan.” I shrugged, wanting to test dad’s waters, but immediately regretted it as Eric’s head shot up, as he immediately understood exactly what I was doing.

Lucky for me, Dad did not think bringing Mike up out of nowhere was weird.

“Ah yes, but you’re biased. You’ve known Lennie your entire life, and he was my partner once upon a time, so you immediately think any partner of his must be trusted. I don’t disagree with you, Logan is a good detective and has very good priorities, and he upholds justice to an admirable standard. However he is a little hot-headed and gets agitated very easily, even if it once paid off when rescuing you.” Dad explained to me.

I only sent him a smile and a nod; afraid any answer I may say might make him suspicious about anything that’s happened between Mike and I.

“Emma, Horatio, you can discuss 27th precinct politics later, but you’re boring poor Eric over here. I’m guessing he’s also running on a fairly tight schedule, so let’s grab Ray Junior and Yelina, and take some photos before you both scuttle off.” Uncle Raymond loudly stated.

Phew, saved by my uncle.