Are You Locked Up in a World That's Been Planned Out for You?

Chapter twenty five

The prom had been going really well. I had met most of Eric’s friends who were in the limousine, but there were a few who I hadn’t. Either way, they were all very friendly, and I got to know them a little bit better on the way to prom. Someone had also smuggled in a few bottles of Champagne, which gave us all a little buzz before entering the prom.

There were twelve people seated in the limo, however a few of the girls were sitting on their prom dates lap as it wasn’t big enough to comfortably fit all of us sitting down. I wasn’t on Eric’s lap, but we were sitting very close to each other, all snug up.

I also managed to convince all other eleven people (including Eric) to come to Millie and Amanda’s party, as well as quite a lot of people at prom, even people who weren’t technically in Eric’s group, it was going to be a good night.

I had danced the night away with Eric, and we socialised with a lot of people. Even though Eric still had about two months left of school (Apparently his school organised prom during spring break so it would encourage them all to stay in Miami and study) he treated it like it was his last night, and socialised with people he had never socialised with, as if he would never see them again.

I thought the slow dance songs would be awkward, but they weren’t at all. They were sweet, Eric was a very sweet date and the only thing wrong was that I found my heart beating way too fast for someone who’s date lives in another city, and someone who was seeing someone back home who wanted to have ‘the official’ talk when I got back.

“Alright everybody, grab your dates because this is the last song before we play before lights go back on and it’s time to go home. Make sure it’s someone very special, because this is the dance you’ll remember for the rest of your life.” The MC announced, and before I could even turn to Eric, he had grabbed my hand and spun me onto the dance floor.

(I’ve had) The Time of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes started playing, the song from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, and I groaned.

“Isn’t this cliché? I’m sure in the seven years since this song was released there’s a better fitting song for us.” I moaned, as Eric put his hands on my waist and I put mine on his shoulders.

“At least it’s not a really slow song, that would be lame and cliché.” Eric said, and I grinned and then immediately changed our position, so I could grab his hands and we could swing around.

Throughout the song, he would twirl me around; we would move and swing our arms however we felt it. It probably looked a little lame, but to me it felt magical. We ignored every other person there like it was just us in the room, and I felt selfish as I just wanted it to be Eric and I.

“I know this is cliché as well, but you really look beautiful tonight.” Eric complimented me, as he twirled me around towards the end of the song.

“That is, yes. However, it’s only truthful if I say that you look quite dashing tonight, Eric Delko.” I smirked, as I became stationary, his hands still in mine.

“Oh, if we’re using full names now, then Emma Caine, I simply cannot resist doing this…” Eric said, and I became confused, as I didn’t know what he was doing…

Seconds later, he moved his hands to my shoulders, and leaned down to softly engulf me into a kiss. We started making out, and I was the one to deepen the kiss by wrapping my arms around his shoulders. Even then, he kept the kisses really light. I felt weird and creepy for comparing Eric to Mike, but his kisses were light, whereas Mike’s were always rough and demanding. It was nice to experience this.

We ended up kissing for the rest of the song, and didn’t stop until the lights came on. The second we stopped, a lot of people came up to pat Eric on the back.

I blushed, and was unable to meet his eyes. He cocked my head up by the chin with his finger, in order to speak to me.

“Look I know you’re seeing someone back home, and I should care, but right now I really don’t. If you were official I wouldn’t be doing this, but this is his fault that he doesn’t want to be exclusive with such a beautiful girl such as yourself. Tonight will be ours, tomorrow will be goodbye and Sunday you’ll return to him. Let’s just be a couple, even just for tonight.”

I should have hesitated, but I found myself agreeing the second he finished his statement.

***

Eric and I arrived with a cab load full of people who wanted to get the party started. Some people were going home to freshen up or get changed; others were going to get a bite to eat first. Some were keen to start drinking straight away, and they arrived with us at the Downtown Miami Hilton.

There were about ten of us, and we all were able to comfortably fit into the elevator, and we went to the top floor where Millie’s filthy rich father had let them stay in the penthouse for the weekend.

We got to the room, and knocked loudly. Eric quickly put his arm around my waist, and I looked up at him to send him a smile, as I heard Millie squeal as she answered the door.

“Yay! People are here! All come in, there’s plenty of drinks in the fridge!” She excitingly said, standing aside and waving us all inside.

Everyone shuffled inside and stayed in the hallway, and then stood around feeling awkward. I saw Millie’s face fall as she realised a lot of ice would have to be broken.

Eric then sent me a wink as he picked up on this too.

“I’m sure you girls have a lot to catch up on, so everybody follow me into the kitchen, let’s get this party started in the living…section and admire the view and amazing hotel room whilst these two catch up.” Eric grinned, waving every body to follow him.

“So, he is SO cute! Who’s he? Was he the guy you bought to prom? I knew when you would finally end up with a guy he would be really hot.” Millie smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes, at the second hand backhanded compliment. Whilst tonight was meant to be Eric’s night, and mine I would also have to deal with everything that came with it, including everyone making a big deal out of it. Luckily no one knew about Mike and I, or it would be an even bigger thing.