‹ Prequel: Taking a Chance
Status: The Second Installment is finally Here!

When We Stand Together

The Waiting Game

Fear and worry swell in your chest and stomach like a sponge absorbing water, the not knowing killing you as you wait in the waiting area next to reception. You had tried your hardest to rouse Jeremy from his unconscious state and finally broke down when the paramedics arrived, taking over. He had been perfectly fine until you had started arguing and the next thing you knew, he was on the floor.

Time seems to have stopped, every passing minute as painful as the last. Hope builds every time a nurse or doctor approaches the waiting area, calling in a new patient to be seen and then the cycle starts again. It's hard to remain patient while Jeremy is unwell, maybe even dead for all you know. You squeeze your eyes shut and tell yourself that he's going to be fine.

"Susie Mercer?" A nurse calls.

You jump up, practically running towards the middle-aged woman in pale blue scrubs.

"How's Jeremy?" You stutter "Was it a heart attack?"

"His heart is perfectly healthy" She smiles.

"Why did he collapse?"

"His blood sugar level was alarmingly low. How has his appetite been?" She asks as she leads you into the treatment areas.

"It's a battle."

"Of course, having a bad stomach will make anyone lose their appetite" She says and pulls back the curtain to a cubicle.

"Bad stomach?"

"Oh yes." She says quite
clinically."Mr Renner told us he's been experiencing unusual symptoms when we asked if he normally kept well. The doctor has ordered some routine tests. Originally we suspected he may be suffering from appendicitis, but some of his symptoms aren't matching the criteria. He may not feel like talking because of the pain medication."

"Why didn't you tell me you've been so unwell?" You ask Jeremy, angry at the fact that he hasn't told you how he's been feeling.

"I didn't want to worry you,mama"

"Worry me? Right now, I'm angry as hell at you for not telling me." You say, your tone even."How long have you been feeling like this?"

"Halfway into the shoot. Listen, it's nothing to worry about. It's probably some bacterial infection from some bad take-out I ate in Chicago."

"I'm still mad at you" You say in a matter of fact tone.

"I know, mama. You can kick my ass later." He says and blinks wildly a few times."Oh, I feel woozy"

"The nurse said you had been given something for the pain. It's probably too strong for you. Do you want me to call Valerie?"

You had spoken to his mom a few times on the phone, the first time in years to be exact and she is still as kind and caring as ever.

"It's okay. She'll just want to fly out here and I'm in safe hands" he winks at you which puts your mind at ease.

You are trying your best not to giggle as he tries to keep his eyes open, the pain medication making him sleepy.

"Susie?" He says, clearing his throat."All my stuff...uh...just throw it into my suitcase or something"

"I really don't want you to leave, you know" You say, tears burning your eyes."I shouldn't have gotten so jealous and I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions."

"It's okay." He replies softly.

"It's not okay, Jeremy. I accused you of..."

The tears come and dribble down your cheeks.

"Susie..." Jeremy pulls you against him and strokes your hair, his lips in your hair."It's okay."

"Aren't you mad at me?" You sniff.

"No, baby. I'm not mad"

******** Four Days Later*******

You feel bad about leaving Jeremy at the end of visiting time, but there's nothing you can do. You can't stand to see the sad glint in his eyes when you kiss him goodbye and promise that you will see him later or the next day. Every time you left, he just looked more depressed and seeing him like that upset you.

You and Jeremy had talked, and he had apologised for not telling you about the kissing scene in the movie and he reassured you that there wasn't anything in it. You believed him and apologised for overreacting. In true Jeremy Renner style, he had brushed it off and said you had every right to be mad at him.

"How are you feeling?" You ask, dumping the holdall on the floor and taking the seat next to him.

You giggle at the look he's giving you.

"I'm okay. Can't wait until they give me some pills and then I can..."

You know what he was going to say.

"You really don't need to find a hotel, Jer" You say, running your fingers over the back of his hand."I want you to come home with me. I'm sorry I didn't let you explain"

"Are you sure you want me there?"
He asks, bringing your hand up to his lips and kissing the back of your hand.

"Of course I do" You smile"I hate seeing you unwell"

"I know, mama."

"Sorry to interrupt" The doctor says, knocking on the door."Can I steal Jeremy for a few minutes?"

"Of course" You reply and peck him on the lips."I'll go get a coffee"
♠ ♠ ♠
So, how many of you cursed at me for the way the first part ended? Mwhahahaha