‹ Prequel: Taking a Chance
Status: The Second Installment is finally Here!

When We Stand Together

Hell On The Heart

Jeremy had made love to you like it would be his last and as you held him against your chest, you could feel the silent tears trickle down his cheeks. Eventually he had cried himself to sleep while you ran your fingers through his hair, massaging his scalp. You finally fall into a light sleep where every moment makes you check on Jeremy, whose head is lying on you chest.

********

"Are you ready to go?" You ask from the bedroom doorway.

You have already taken down Jeremy's holdall and loaded it into the car. Jeremy is sitting on the edge of the bed, just needing a few minutes before he takes that hour journey to the hospital. He's dressed in cargo pants and a t-shirt, his hair sticking up and damp from his shower.

"Jeremy?" You say gently and touch
his shoulder.

He let's out a deep sigh and rubs his eyes, looking around your room sadly.

"Sorry. I was miles away"

"Anywhere nice?" You ask, threading your fingers through his as he pulls you into his lap.

There isn't time for fooling around, but you don't have the heart to rush him.

Sadly, he shakes his head and looks away.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous" he eventually says and you hug him tightly as he stands up.

"It's okay. Come on."

You had given up trying to talk to Jeremy in the car and decided it would probably be best to leave him alone until he collected his thoughts. He had fiddled with the radio like a bored teenager and gazed out the window at the passing scenery, his eyes darker than normal and his forehead creased with worry. Even the crows feet at the side of his eyes are more prominent.

Parking in an available slot, you turn to Jeremy as the siren of an ambulance shrieks loudly. You can feel your own stomach churning anxiously and you know you need to remain positive for Jeremy's sake. Your own thoughts cloud your senses as Jeremy's voice breaks through.

"Susie?" He says quietly and you look at him."I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Probably have a lot more parties" You tease.

"I mean it, mama. I really don't know what I would do without you." He says in a whisper, his hand cupping your cheek."I love you"

"I love you too, Jer" You reply, feeling his lips kiss yours sweetly."We better get you booked in."

The nurse had taken Jeremy to his room and told you to go have a coffee while she got him settled in and filled in all the relevant paperwork. You decided to call Valerie who had confided in you that she suspected that Jeremy would change his mind last minute and you admit to yourself, that thought had also crossed your mind. It didn't occur to you that while you were gone maybe Jeremy had sweet-talked the nurse, telling her that he had changed his mind.

Quickly you squeeze past patients, nurses and doctors, avoiding being hit with gurney's and the motorised carts that transfer food from the kitchen to the rest of the hospital.
The elevator moves painfully slow and as soon as the doors are open, you are taking off down the corridor until you run into the same nurse who had sent you for a coffee.

Silently, you open the door to the private room and you feel a wave of relief sweep over you at the sight of Jeremy. He's lying on the bed in a fabric gown, a blanket pulled over his legs and you can leg shaking underneath the blanket . Already an IV is in the back of his hand and a machine is monitoring his pre-ops vitals. You take the seat next to the bed and you simply watch him as he inspects the IV in his hand.

"I don't like these things" He says, frowning.

"I know, baby, but it's only for a few days."

"That's a few days too many" he answers."I'm going to miss you"

"You won't be thinking that when you have pretty young nurses to look after you"

"I guess there is one perk of this thing" He winks at you, taunting you."I'm kidding."

"Sure you are"

As you get up from the seat, he grabs your hand and pulls you onto the side of the bed. His hands gently stroke your sides and you cup his cheeks. He kisses your lips softly and a contented sigh escapes your throat, his tongue pushing against your own as you grip his hair.

"I love you" he says against your lips.

"I love you too" You reply, feeling his arms wrap around you.

"I know you two are gonna be apart for a little while, but having almost sex in a hospital bed ain't comfy"

You both fly apart and look like two teenagers who have been caught doing something they shouldn't.

The voice comes from a middle-aged nurse in royal blue scrubs.

"Sorry, we just-" You stutter out.

Jeremy is trying his damnedest not to laugh.

"Don't worry about it. I'm Beryl and I'm going to be your nurse." She laughs."So, Mr Renner are you ready for surgery?"

"Not really" He mumbles.

"Nervous, huh?" Beryl turns to look at you with an easy smile."You'll be back up here in no time, sweets. How about something to make you a little more comfortable before going down to pre-op?"

"That would be great" Jeremy answers and you give Beryl a warm smile as she leaves.

A few minutes later she comes back and pushes some saline through the IV and administers the sedative and a little more saline. The medicine quickly gets to work as Jeremy leans back against the pillow, his eyes heavy.

"Don't you want to go under the cover?" You ask, brushing his messy fringe off his forehead. He definitely looks more relaxed and your own anxiety has settled.

"Sure" He says and sits up on the edge of the bed.

You watch him as he untucks the cover and sheet from under the mattress and as he turns, you get a good look at his naked ass under the gown.

"Stop looking at my ass" He grins.

"Don't flash it in my face" You reply, giving his ass a quick slap. You just couldn't help yourself, it's just so taught and needs slapped.

Beryl comes back into the room.

"Sorry to break up the party, but we're ready to take you down to theatre. You ready to go?"

Panic flashes in Jeremy's eyes and doing the only thing you can think of, you cup his cheek and kiss him gently on the lips. He returns the kiss and you can feel his hand shake slightly.

"Will you wait for me coming out?" He asks, his voice in a low whisper.

"I'll be right there waiting for you, Jer"

"Promise?" He asks.

He looks like a scared kid who is just waiting to be snatched from his happy place.

"I promise" You kiss his forehead and the trolley starts to move.

You take a step back from Jeremy as Beryl and another nurse pull up the metal sides to stop the patient from rolling off the bed. Jeremy gives you a worried look and you give him a warm smile, trying to reassure him as he is slowly rolled down the corridor and taken to theatre. Beryl let's a porter take over and asks you to put anything valuable in the drawer in the cabinet.

All the emotions you have been holding back overwhelm's you as you feel yourself being ushered into the seat. Beryl rubs your shoulder softly.

"He's going to be just fine, sweet. He's going to be just fine. Why don't you go home and get some rest?"

"I want to be here when he wakes up" You say quietly."I promised"