‹ Prequel: Taking a Chance
Status: The Second Installment is finally Here!

When We Stand Together

Happily Reunited

Between visiting Jeremy in hospital in the afternoons and evenings, you still spent the mornings at work and occasionally turned up late at the hospital because you were booked in for a photo shoot. Jeremy, as always understood and you felt even more guilty because he's always so kind, compassionate and understanding.

You pour yourself another strong coffee and head back to your work station where you had been organising a wedding album for a couple. Engrossed in your work, you don't even realise that Michelle is standing next to you, having come back from the lunch run.

"You look like shit"

"Gee, thanks" You reply sarcastically, but you know she's right."I didn't get much sleep last night."

"Jeremy's still in the hospital so he isn't the reason" she gives you a sly smirk "What's on your mind?"

"Just everything" You sigh."I'm just tired."

"Go home"

"You know I can't" You reply."I've got this album to do and then a consultation at twelve-thirty and-"

"Stop, right there. You're going home. Not after the consultation, now" Michelle cuts you off.

"Mich, I need to be here to go over the package."

"I'll do it. I'm more than capable of showing them a few albums, some photographic previews and book them in for the big day. You need to rest." She says and practically pulls you out of your chair by your arm."You're not going to be any good to Jeremy if you're exhausted and you know I'm right."

Grudgingly, you take Michelle's advice and head home, the idea of having a nap sounded better with every passing second. Your eyes feel heavy and it feels as though you have got shampoo in them, the hot stingy feeling unrelenting and burning away.

Shrugging off your coat, you lock the front door and settle down on the sofa. You feel your eyes closing as the television hums away in the background.

Bleary eyed and half asleep, you glare at your cellphone that is dancing across the coffee table. You've only managed a blessed half hour and you wish it had been longer. A smile creeps onto your face when you realise it's Jeremy.

"Hey, mama" He says, slightly cheery.

"Hey. Don't you sound cheery or have they just given you your painkillers?" You tease.

"Both, actually. So, how's your day been?" He replies, chuckling and it melts your heart.

"Michelle sent me home. I'm a bit tired. Wait, why are you calling me when I'll be visiting you in a little while?"

Jeremy chuckles again and you wonder if something has happened and he's calling to break the bad news.

"Well, the consultant came around this morning and he's happy for me to check out. That's if you still want me to come back"

"Jeremy, of course I want you to come stay with me and I think that's great news. So, when are you allowed to leave" You ask, stretching your legs out.

"I'm just waiting for my prescription at the pharmacy and then I can call a cab-"

"You're calling a cab?" You aren't entirely sure why he wouldn't have called you first.

"Yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to let you get some rest." He replies.

"I'm fine, baby. Or at least I will be as soon as you are back in my bed again" You tease

"That's the best offer I've had all day. I'll give you a text once I have my prescription and I'll meet you outside?"

"You just want to have a cigarette" You reply, laughing.

"Something like that."

"Good. I'll see you soon. Just remember and text me, okay?" You say, feeling a little excited that Jeremy's coming home.

"I'll try to, mama. Love you"

"Love you too" You reply.

Pulling into the pick-up and drop-off zone, you notice Jeremy straight away, sitting on the stone bench smoking a cigarette with his holdall between his feet. Getting out, you casually stroll over to him and you can tell his mind had been somewhere else as he looks up at you, smiling around his cigarette.

"Does it feel good to be free?" You ask, smiling.

"It feels amazing, but I know something that feels even better"
He replies with a wink and bends down to pick up the holdall.

He groans and you rest your hand on his shoulder.

"I'll get it. Come on, let's get you home and settled in"

You watch Jeremy as he slides into the passenger seat and it's obvious he's still uncomfortable and sore from the operation. You help him with his seatbelt because twisting pulls on his wounds and you can't stand to see the pain in his face.

Jeremy is sitting quite comfortably in the corner of the sofa, his feet propped up on the coffee table with a cushion under heels. His hands are resting motionless in his lap, his head titled back against the back of the sofa and he looks so peaceful.

Touching his shoulder makes him flinch, his eyes scanning your living room wildly.

"Hey, you okay?" You ask.

"Shit. I didn't mean to fall asleep"
He says, his voice thick and sleepy.

"It's okay" You say, perching yourself on the arm of the sofa.

You run your fingers through his hair and his head tips back. He's looking at you through sleepy blue eyes.

"How about a sandwich?" You suggest."You need to eat something before you can have your painkillers. Ham, cheese and pickle?"

"That sounds really good" He agrees and scoots himself to the edge of the sofa and you gently push him back.

"What happened to listening to the doctors and resting?"

"Sitting around is driving me crazy, mama. I promised I would take it easy, but I need to do something. Anything" he says, sighing in frustration.

Beryl had told you how restless Jeremy had been at the hospital, even after surgery he was still irritable and she finally gave in and let him go for a cigarette, as long as she knew where he was.

"Okay." You say, caressing his forearm "I just don't want you over doing it and I don't want to have to take you back because you've done something you're not supposed to and burst your stitches"

He follows you into the kitchen and continues talking. He's reassuring you that he's fine and turns you around in his arms, pressing his lips to yours.

"The only way I'm going to burst my stitches is if you jump me. Again" He says, smirking.

"Oh, is that right, Renner?"

"Yeah, that's right." He wraps brings his arms up and rests his forearms on your shoulders."What you going to do about it?"

You tuck your hands down the back of his track pants, squeezing his firm ass.

"I'm supposed to be taking it easy and resting, and here you are, touching me up"

You are both smiling and your lips are edging closer.

"Are you complaining?" You ask, groaning as his tongue lightly laps at your bottom lip.

"Maybe I am"

"Really?" You ask and you can't help but raise your eyebrows, Sceptically.

"Never"
♠ ♠ ♠
How are you guy's liking this?