‹ Prequel: Taking a Chance
Status: The Second Installment is finally Here!

When We Stand Together

The Diagnosis

"Jeremy, how are we feeling today?" Dr Redfield asks as he closes over the room door, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Like I've been knocked over by a truck a few times" Jeremy replies.

"Well, we've got your test results back" He says."I'm afraid it's bad news. Would you like your partner to be here?"

"No" Jeremy decides quickly."I don't want to worry her. So, what's wrong with me?"

"The CT scan and colonoscopy confirmed our original suspicions. Jeremy, I'm afraid that the rectal bleeding, abdominal pain and change in bowl movements indicate a serious condition"

"What like a bowl infection or something?" Jeremy asks."I'll be honest with you, doc. I'm sick of feeling like I have a constant hangover"

"You told the department doctor downstairs that you've had these symptoms for some time. How long is some time?"

"I was in the middle of the shoot when i first started to feel sick" Jeremy says quietly."Around thirteen weeks"

"Okay. Jeremy, there's no easy way to say this, but I'm afraid the test results confirm that you have grade 3 colon cancer. I'm sorry"

Jeremy's eyebrows furrow as he swallows the lump in his throat. His mind has started to spin, his stomach churning.

"I...uh..how.." He stutters.

"Cancerous tissue grows from a polyp that hasn't been removed and a lot of the time, the polyps are harmless and are found when tests are conducted to identify other causes."

Jeremy nods, sadly.

"However, even at stage two, the chances of remission is very good. Given that the appropriate treatment is used to fit the case"

"What's..the...uh.." Jeremy clears his throat "What can you do?"

"I've studied your scans and the best course of action is to cut out the cancerous piece of the colon and then have you undergo some chemotherapy"

Jeremy rubs his face with his rough hands and sighs heavily. He hadn't realised he had been holding his breath.

"I would suggest undergoing treatment as soon as possible"

"What if I don't want treatment?" Jeremy asks."What are my chances?"

"This is a very daunting and confusing time to make such a decision, so normally we allow a minimum of four weeks for our patients to make a decision" Dr Redfield says slowly"Unfortunately, at this stage I can't tell you how long you would live or what quality of life you would have, should you decide against treatment."

"I don't want it" Jeremy says."And I don't want anyone else to find out about this. Not even my partner"

"Jeremy, no one will know of your diagnosis unless you make that decision to tell them. But, I will arrange an appointment for you to come and see me in four weeks time, once you've thought things over and had time to adjust to this news"

"I've made my decision,doc" Jeremy says.

"I don't doubt that, but go home and think about it properly."
♠ ♠ ♠
This explains everything, doesn't it?