‹ Prequel: Taking a Chance
Status: The Second Installment is finally Here!

When We Stand Together

Pillow Talk

Jeremy tosses and turns restlessly next to you and he huffs and puffs with exertion as he tries to get comfortable, fluffing the pillow one minute and then pulling up the duvet the next and then pushing it down again.

You let out a giggle as he rolls onto his back again with a groan, muttering under his breath.

"What’s so funny?" He asks and you can tell he’s smiling.

"You puffing and huffing"

"I can’t get comfy" He replies, fluffing his pillow for the tenth time.

"Is something bothering you?" You ask and suddenly the room stills to a deathly quiet and you don’t like it."Jer?"

"I’ve been thinking"

"I bet that hurt" You tease, turning to face him."What’s on your mind, baby?"

"About everything. Us mostly"

"And?" You ask, stroking his smooth cheek with your fingertips."What about us?"

You feel Jeremy shifting and turning the bedside lamp on, you squint at the sudden burst of light and you notice how indecisive he looks. You decide not to rush him as you plant small kisses along his jaw and chin.

"I’ve been trying to find the right time" He says softly."To ask you to marry me"

"You want to marry me?"

"Course I do." He answers with a smile and doubt mixed with fear grows in his eyes and suddenly he’s less sure."Don’t you?"

"Are you insane?" You ask with a laugh."Of course I do. Jeremy, I really do want to marry you but I just didn’t think it would be this soon"

"Oh"

"That’s not what I meant." You say, correcting yourself."Baby, I would love to marry you, but don’t you think it’s better that we talk about this once you’re better? I mean, you might have changed your mind by then"

"Now you’re the one whose being crazy" He chuckles “Susie, I would never change my mind about being with you. Not ever."

"You’re sure?"

"I’m sure. I’m more than sure." He says softly."Susie, I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

You sniff and you feel happy tears stream down your cheeks and then you are a sobbing mess. Jeremy wraps his arms around you and his eyes are filled with concern.

"Hey, come on it’s not that bad"

"It’s not that" You say, trying to compose yourself."I love you so much and I’m just so overwhelmed"

He gives you the most beautiful smile and it warms your heart, making you feel all fuzzy inside. It’s been a while since you’ve seen that lopsided smile and you can tell instantly by the twinkle in his eyes how happy he really is.

"So, will you marry me?"

"Of course I’ll marry you" You beam, tears starting to stream down your face with happiness. “Of course I’ll marry you, Jeremy. I love you"

“I love you, too."

*****

The next morning, you and Jeremy wake up a lot later than usual and as you go into the kitchen, you are both pleasantly surprised to find Valerie making breakfast. Plates of fresh fruit sit at each placing, ready to be devoured.

"Mom?" Jeremy says from your side, still half-asleep.

"Good morning you two" She beams."I was wondering when you two were going to get up"

"Is there something we should know about?" He asks.

"No, of course not. I just thought it would be nice to treat you two to a nice breakfast"

"Thanks, Val" You say with a warm smile and you all take your seats at the table and start eating."These blueberries are amazing"

"I picked them up at the market in town. One of those farmers markets that they have now and again."

"All that’s missing is your oatmeal" Jeremy says to his mother.

Valerie winks at you and grabs her empty plate and takes it to the sink.

"I must have known because I have what I need to make it" she reaches across and caresses his cheek."Apple and cinnamon always was your favourite and I blame my mother for that"

"Grandma always did make the best oatmeal" He answers.

"I need to try some of this" You add with enthusiasm.

"Of course. There always is plenty when I make it. Enough to feed an army and their mothers and probably half the city"

Everyone giggles and Jeremy backs up her claim and you can always remember her inability for portion control.

"Mom, we were talking last night and we’ve made a really big decision and we want to know what you think about it" Jeremy says, winking at you and grabbing your hand.

"What’s that, dear?"

You are finding it hard to contain your excitement.

"Well, we want to get married" He answers.

A piercing, ear deafening scream of
excitement bounces off the walls as Valerie throws herself at you both, hugging you as tears of joy and happiness slide down her cheeks.

"My boy’s finally going to get married. I knew you would meet the right woman and Susie, I am so proud to call you my daughter-in-law"

You can feel yourself tearing up as Valerie finally let’s go of you and then you both start crying.

"You need to call your father" She says to her son and pulls him into another tight hug.

"I’ll go call him or do you need me to stay and mop up your tears?" He answers with a playful smile.

"Very funny" You reply, grabbing some tissue for you and Valerie.

Once Jeremy leaves the room to call his dad, Valerie grabs onto your arm with a sincere expression and love just pooling in her eyes.

"When did all this happen?"

"Last night. He was restless, so I asked him what was on his mind and he asked me to marry him" You beam."He said he would never get married. I’m still really….surprised"

"He loves you and you make him so happy. I’ve never seen Jeremy this happy."

"I was worried that he was having some sort of mid-life crisis" You state with a giggle.

"Susie, I know when Jeremy’s serious about something and he’s absolutely serious about marrying you. He loves you, like we all do."

"Is it really bad that I still can’t believe what’s happening?" You ask seriously.

"I didn’t really believe I was married until Lee took me to a hotel on the night of our wedding. The day went so quickly it was almost like a dream. But I loved every second of it and I wouldn’t change it for the world"

"I remember you and Lee being very happy" You say as you refill the mugs with coffee. “I used to wish you were my parents"

"We were very happy, but it was easier to fall out of love than it was to stay in love. I still love Lee in my own way, but we couldn’t be together for the sake of the kids. We decided it would have been unfair to bring them into that kind of turmoil and we were right. They’ve turned out to be happy with their own lives and that’s all we ever wanted for them"

"You and Lee did a great job, Val." You say, giving the woman a tight hug."Thank you for everything"

"It was my pleasure. I think I’m going to take a nice relaxing walk before lunch. I’ll see you when I get back"

Out of all the things to happen in your life, you never once imagined you would be in a relationship with the man of your dreams and it perplexed you to think that you would be actually marrying him. Excited, you call Michelle and tell her the good news, but Jeremy calls you from the sitting room.

"You ready to go out?" He asks.

"Where are we going?"

"I’ll tell you when we get there" He replies with a mischievous grin that melts your insides.

You are definitely ready to marry Jeremy, the love of your life.