Do Or Die!

It's Back

It was already six in the afternoon. Billie tried to drive as fast as he could but it wasn’t going so well in California traffic. He couldn’t fathom where all his time had gone. Yeah he woke up at one in the afternoon but five hours were gone.

Upon his arrival at home, he saw Adrienne’s car in the driveway. She must have picked up Joey and Jake too because there were toys strewn all across the lawn. He ran inside to find her cooking dinner and his two boys playing video games in the living room. Knowing this might be the last day he sees her as himself, he walked up and placed his arms around her waist and rested his head on her shoulder.

She turned around and returned his smile and he playfully kissed her on the cheek. Oh, how he wished that this hour could last forever, but it was going by at the speed of light.

Before he knew it he was laying next to her in their bed and ready to fall asleep. His eyes shut tight and with Adrienne in his arms, he drifted off to sleep.

Billie woke up in cold sweats from a terrible dream he just had, but oddly couldn’t remember. He was alone in his bed. He stole a glance at the clock that lay on the bedside table next to him. It was half-passed midnight.

“Great.” He thought out loud to himself. He knew that Adrienne had gone to bed with him because she laid there in his arms only hours ago, but he could also be mistaken.
He unwrapped himself from the tangle of bed sheets and walked slowly into the hallway.

There was no noise within the household. He proceeded down the stairs and into the kitchen, but there was nothing. He noticed a note on the counter that was, no doubt, from Adrienne. It read: ‘Billie, your night screams were starting to freak me out. I took Joey and Jake to a hotel for the night. Sorry, see you tomorrow. Love Adie,’

Billie sighed in relief. “Maybe this voice has all been a bad dream.” He thought once again.

“You have to stop guessing that my boy.” Jimmy’s voice was like ice going through Billie’s body. It rang in his ears. “See even your wife can’t stand to be with you, she left. Know why? It’s because you’re a freak, my dear.” Something about Jimmy’s statement tied Billie’s stomach into knots.