Playing With Fire

Chapter One

“This place it pretty cool,” Chelsea Aborn said as she walked into a bar and grill with her best friend.

“I told you,” Amber Stewart responded, leading Chelsea towards the bar.

After ordering their drinks, Amber and Chelsea sat down to wait. Chelsea looked around, seeing many familiar faces. “Weren’t a lot of these guys at the track today?” She asked.

Amber glanced around. “Yeah. A lot of the drivers and crew guys come here after testing is over to hang out. Its actually a little surprising to not have Dad here, he usually comes every year. I’ve been coming here with he and his guys for the last few years. After we find a booth you should order something. Their food is awesome.”

Chelsea’s attention shifted. “I’m a little more interested in that guy in the corner than I am the food,” She sent a smile in the man’s direction. “Does everyone always go out after Pre-Season thunder?”

Amber rolled her eyes. “Not everyone. Its just a good chance to blow off some steam. The season pretty much started Thursday.”

“But speed weeks is still a few weeks away.”

“Doesn’t matter. Its time to get ready. I’m already working on Dad’s schedule for speed weeks.”

“Weren’t you just in Vegas?”

“Seems that way,” Amber took the drinks from the bartender with a smile. After handing Chelsea her drink, she paid the bartender. “Lets go sit down. I really don’t want to stand here all night.”

Chelsea continued to look around as they headed for the open booth. As soon as they sat down, she leaned across the table and whispered, “Truex, nine o’clock.”

“Huh?” Amber responded.

Chelsea groaned, “You’re looking at me so I’m at twelve o’clock. You’re sitting at six o’clock. He’s at nine o’clock!”

“I understand the directions but you didn’t say at!” Amber looked to her left and it only took a few seconds before her eyes landed on him.

Amber had had a crush on Martin Truex Jr since she was seventeen. Something had been happening slowly during the months following her seventeenth birthday but when they showed up at speedweeks 2009 she’d developed a full blown crush on him. She’d never had issues controlling herself around him, which was a good thing because he was one of Tony’s friends and she saw him a lot, but her crush had grown slightly over the years.

She’d always thought Martin was a nice guy. She’d met him the first time when she was fourteen but never actually spent any time around him until she was fifteen when he started hanging out with her dad more. Even though she thought he was a nice guy her crush had originally just been based on his appearance. Over the next year or so her crush shifted to include his personality as well.

By far the event that had the biggest impact on her crush had happened when she was nineteen. Tony was having a barbeque at his house and she’d brought her then boyfriend to it. They got into a small disagreement outside and it had carried over into a fight in the kitchen. He’d reached out and grabbed her arm a little too hard and it had been the only time Amber had ever been scared by the look in the eyes of someone she knew. Martin had came in to grab the hamburger buns in the middle of the argument and had immediately stuck up for Amber. After that day she’d always viewed him in a slightly different light.

“Well at least there’s something for me to look at while you’re ogling at the guy in the corner,” Amber quipped.

“I promise I won’t ogle all night. I’ll come back with you for speedweeks and do my ogling then.”

“Good plan.” Amber clinked her glass against Chelsea’s.

The friends talked while they enjoyed their dinner and drinks. Amber waited until Chelsea had had another two drinks before she suggested they leave their booth. “How about a game of pool?”

“Sure! I didn’t know they had a pool table here!”

“Its on the other side of the room. Follow me.”

They hadn’t be playing for very long when they heard voices coming from behind them. Amber assumed they were heading for the second pool table and she was proven right when they walked over to the pool table next to the one she and Chelsea were using. “I think I just might beat you this time,” Amber said, watching as Chelsea took a shot.

“I wouldn’t count on it.”

“Amber?” A voice interrupted.

Amber turned in the direction the voice had came from. “Hey, Martin.”

“Is your dad here or is it just you?”

“Its just me and Chelsea. You remember her from Dad’s birthday party last year right?”

Martin looked over. “Yeah. Its nice to see you again.”

“You too. Amber, your turn.”

Amber took her turn and then turned back to Martin. “You here with your crew?”

“The rest of the guys were here but they already left. Its just me and Dale now. After you guys finish your game you want to play with us?”

“Sure. Its been a while since I’ve played pool on a team.”

“We’re going to play a game and warm up then.”

After Amber and had finished their game they watched the men. Chelsea elbowed Amber, giving her a look that she’d seen many times before. Amber gave Chelsea a look to cut it out, knowing they’d talk about it later. Amber had told her friend about her crush on Martin when it had first happened and Chelsea never forgot it.

“I’m just pointing out that you are hanging out with him without your dad,” Chelsea whispered.

“And? We’re just playing pool in a bar. Its not like he called me and said we should go do something. Now hush before you draw their attention over here.”

“So how do you want to do this?” Martin asked when he and Dale finished their game.

“Battle of the sexes?” Chelsea suggested.

Amber rolled her eyes and Martin chuckled, “I guess that works. Everyone good with that?”

“Yeah, works for me,” Amber said.

“So how often do you two play?” Dale asked as Martin took the first shot.

“Not very often. Maybe once every six months or so. I think Chelsea plays more often than I do,” Amber answered.

“Well maybe if you’d go out a little more often you’d play more,” Chelsea quipped.

“Tell you what then, I’ll switch you jobs for a month. Lets see how often you feel like going out if you have my schedule.”

Martin chuckled, “There’s a lot of time away from home. And if your last name is Stewart there is even more time away from home.”

“No kidding. Dad’s schedule is unreal. How was your off season?”

“Good. Short but good. Yours? Did you get away for a few days?”

Amber laughed, “Not a chance. My biggest accomplishment was getting new stuff for my apartment and sleeping until eleven twice a week.”

“I told her we should go somewhere tropical but she said she didn’t want to fly. Shut up and take your shot,” Chelsea interrupted.

“I’m on planes ten months a year! Besides I don’t want to take a vacation with someone that bosses me around.”

The banter slowly changed so that each team were trading playful barbs as they played. Amber knew who was going to win about halfway through the game but she continued the banter and attempted to bluff her way through the game. She knew there was no way she and Chelsea were going to beat the men.

When the game was over, Dale and Chelsea both looked at their watches. “If we’re going to spend any time at the beach tomorrow we should probably get going,” Chelsea said.

“I’m ready to go. I’ve got an early flight outta here in the morning,” Dale chimed in.

Amber was looking at her friend. “You can go if you want to. I want to stay here a while longer.”

Martin chuckled and looked over at Dale, “I don’t have an early flight so I don’t have that problem.”

A few minutes later, Martin and Amber found themselves at the bar. Chelsea and Dale had both headed back to their hotel rooms leaving the pair alone. As they waited for their drinks, Martin turned to look at Amber. “You didn’t fly out with your Dad today?”

“No. I decided I wanted to stay in Daytona another night. Why didn’t you head back to North Carolina already?”

“I just wanted to stay down here a little while longer. Get some fishing in.”

Before Amber had a chance to respond, their drinks arrived. “Sounds like fun. You heading back tomorrow?”

“Monday actually.”

“I’m gonna head outside to the patio. I need away from the crowd for a little while.”

“I’ll come with you.”

Amber waited to smile until she’d turned around and Martin couldn’t see her. She’d never been alone with him away from a race track before. She’d been alone with him at the track a few times, mostly when they were both waiting for Tony, but she’d never spent any time with him like this before.

Once outside they found a table and sat down. Amber ran her fingers through her hair, quickly removing the hair tie and fixing her pony tail. Martin watched from the corner of his eyes, a feeling of guilt washing over him.

Amber had always just been Tony’s daughter to him. But now she was all grown up and he could see that. Late in the previous season he’d started having trouble seeing her as just Tony’s daughter. He had hoped that the off season would end that but he was still having the same issue.

As he watched her pull her hair up his attention was drawn to her. He wasn’t seeing her as Tony’s daughter any longer. He was seeing her as a grown woman. He diverted his attention away from her and onto his beer.

“So do you like the new cars?” Amber asked, recapturing his attention.

“Yeah. I was really pleased with it. You’re excited for the season to start again aren’t you?”

“Yes. I get bored easy. I’m so used to always being on the go that I have a hard time slowing down.”

Their conversation went back and forth between talking about their lives and racing. Both were enjoying the company and the fresh air. Amber was surprised that she was having no trouble keeping her composure around Martin. She’d never expected to be in this situation and she was a little bit in disbelief.

As the night dragged on, Martin was having a harder time keeping his thoughts straight. He kept reminding himself that she was the daughter of one of his friends. The more they talked the more he found out that he liked her views on life and racing. Against his better judgment, he decided to cross over the one line that they’d left untouched in their conversation. “You don’t have a boyfriend do you?”

“No,” Amber answered. “Why do you ask that?”

“Because Tony hasn’t been making any threats directed at guys in your life.”

Amber laughed, “He tells you guys too?”

Martin laughed with her. “Oh yeah. The entire garage knows when you’re dating someone he doesn’t like or when things go sour with someone you’re dating.”

Amber rolled her eyes. “I feel like I should bitch about that but I’m sorta used to it by now. Do you have a girlfriend?”

“No.”

“Why not?” Amber asked, taking a sip of her drink.

“I have trouble finding someone that can deal with my lifestyle.”

“And by lifestyle you mean your schedule?”

“Yes, exactly.”

“I know what that’s like.”

“You’ve got the same problem?”

“I’ve tried to date two guys that weren’t involved in the sport and the schedule killed that pretty quickly.”

Martin scoffed, “Maybe we should just go out,” Immediately he regretted the joke. “I was joking of course.”

Amber forced a laugh. “I know that.”

They fell silent for several minutes, each concentrating on their drinks. Deciding that he needed to say something, Martin cleared his throat, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have made that joke. It was completely inappropriate.”

“No, it was fine. I knew it was a joke.”

“Then what’s wrong? You’re quiet.”

“Nothings wrong,” She forced a smile. “I just got lost in my own thoughts for a minute.”

“You sure about that? Because you seemed fine until I made that stupid remark.”

“Its not important. Lets just forget it.”

Martin studied Amber’s face for a moment. There was something going on but he couldn’t put his finger on it. He knew what he was about to say was crossing a line but he figured it might as well be said, “Is whatever we say tonight strictly between us? No one else ever finds out?”

“I don’t know where this is going but I can agree to that. No one else will ever know what we talked about tonight.”

“I always just saw you as Tony’s daughter but you’re not that teenage girl anymore. You’re an adult now. You’re a grown woman. You’re old enough to drink and everything. When did that happen?”

“Um, last July.”

Martin chuckled, “Its just I don’t see you as my friend’s daughter any more.”

“How do you see me then?”

“As a woman I’d like to ask out to dinner. And I feel guilty about it because I shouldn’t see you the way I’m seeing you now.”

“Why? Martin, I’m more than Tony Stewart’s daughter! I’m my own person.”

“I know you are. But I still shouldn’t look at you way I am now. Not only are you one my friend’s daughter you’re also eleven years younger than me!”

“I’ve had a crush on you since I was seventeen years old. I can admit that. It doesn’t matter that you’re one of my dad’s friends and you are eleven years older than I am, I can’t control it. But God almighty it feels good to say that out loud to someone other than one of my friends!”

Martin couldn’t help but laugh as she sighed in relief. “It does feel good to get it out doesn’t it?”

“It really does. Listen, I don’t expect anything to happen. But it feels good to tell you and get it out. And I’m not going to lie, I love the fact that you see me as a person and not just your friend’s daughter,” she glanced at her watch. “I know this seems abrupt but I guess I should head back to the hotel. Its getting late.”

Martin glanced at his own watch. “You want to share a cab?”

“Might as well. I’ll call one now.”

Martin watched as she pulled out her cell phone. When the phone call was over she finished the little bit of drink left in her glass. Martin did the same. “You wanna wait out front?”

“I think we better. It would suck to miss the cab.”

While they stood in front of the bar and grill they remained mostly silent. Things weren’t awkward but it seemed like there really wasn’t anything else they needed to say. Both of their minds were still working overtime. The cab ride and walk into the hotel were also mostly silent, a few comments about racing or Florida sprinkled in to keep the silence from becoming awkward.

“What floor are you on?” Martin asked when they reached the hotel elevator.

“Ten,” Amber answered, watching as he pressed the ten and twelve buttons.

As the elevator began to climb upwards, both Martin and Amber kept their eyes locked on the screen telling them where they were. As it reached six Martin decided there was something he wanted to do. “Is whatever happens in the elevator covered in the pact of silence?”

She laughed a little, “Sure. Why not.”

“Awesome.” Martin moved closer to her and her attention was directed towards his eyes. He bent down a little and pressed his lips against hers, taking her by surprise. After a few seconds, Amber realized what was happening and kissed him back. She’d dreamed about this for four years and she was going to make the most of it.

They pulled apart when the elevator dinged, signaling the elevator had reached the tenth floor. “Um here’s my stop,” Amber said, trying to regain her composure.

“I guess so. Well, uh, good night,” Martin gave her a sheepish smile.

“Yeah, good night.” The elevator doors opened and Amber walked out, heading towards her room. When she reached the door, she leaned her back against it and tried to catch her breath. She was still in a daze, having to reassure herself that it wasn’t a dream.

You can’t tell anyone. Its a secret, she reminded herself. Then with a sigh, she thought, Things just got a whole lot more complicated.