Playing With Fire

Chapter Three

"Amber!" Tony raised his voice, trying to get his daughter's attention.

Amber jumped. "Huh? I was thinking about what time I need to go pick up Chelsea."

"You sure there isn't something else going on?"

"Just thinking. Now what did you ask?"

"Who looks good for the race Sunday?"

"Well everyone at HMS looks good. The MWR cars, especially Martin and Mark. Michael looked good. And Denny and Matt looked good. Kyle didn't look bad but I couldn't really tell how good the car was either."

"Hopefully we can finally get one of these on Sunday."

"I hope so, Dad."

Tony glanced at the clock. "You better head to the airport. When you get back the three of us will go grab some dinner somewhere."

Amber hugged Tony. "See you in a little bit, Dad."

"Be careful!" Tony called as she walked out the door.

"Always!"

Tony's eyes narrowed. There was something different about Amber and he couldn't put his finger on it. She hadn't lied to him, he could tell that much from her eyes, but something new was going on with her. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on his door.

"Its open!" He yelled, turning his attention to the television.

"Hey, man. What's up?" Martin asked, noticing the uncomfortable look on his face.

"Something is going on with Amber," Tony shrugged. "She'll tell me when she's ready."

"She tells you everything?"

"She is a firm believer in 'Thou shall honor thy mother and father' and she's never lied to me or disobeyed me."

Martin felt his heart lurch into his throat. He stayed silent for a minute. "I'm sure you've made it easy. As long as I've known you you've always wanted her to be happy. Even when you hated her boyfriend you didn't say anything."

"No because I do want her to be happy. I'm sure it's nothing anyway. So what brings you by?"

"I'm just making sure you're still in for poker tonight at Earnhardt's place."

"Yeah. Nine right?"

"Yup."

When Amber walked into the airport there was still about fifteen minutes before Chelsea's plane was scheduled to land. She sat down and looked out the window and watched the planes in the distance. Her favorite thing about Daytona was how close the track and airport were to each other. As she waited her mind began to wonder.

She and Martin had talked for well over an hour the previous night. Although they didn’t know a ton about each other’s personal life they knew enough about each other they didn’t know where to start with getting to know the rest. There was a lot they didn’t know about each other but Amber wasn’t sure where to start considering what she’d typically start asking were questions she already knew the answers to.

She sighed, her mind drifting to her father. Tony would figure it out. She knew he would figure it out. The part that worried her was keeping it a secret from him. She had never kept anything from her dad before and she refused to out and out lie to him.

Just as she was starting to worry, her cell phone went off. Pulling it out of her pocket, she saw it was a text from Martin. I just talked to your dad. He thinks there is something up with you but doesn't seem too worried.

She hit reply. Did he say anything else?

It took a few minutes before he replied. He wants you to be happy.

He always has. He is going to figure it out.

I know. Let's just figure things out between us and then we'll tell him.

I won't lie to him if he asks.

I would never ask you to do anything that goes against your morals.

Amber looked up at the clock and noticed that the plane currently landing was probably Chealsea’s. She sent one final text message to Martin. Thank you. I’ll try and text or call you when I can.

She returned her cell phone to her pocket and turned her focus to where her friend would walk in. As people started filing in, she carefully watched for Chelsea. Chelsea was the fifth person to walk into the airport and the second she saw Amber she let out a squeal.

Amber laughed, “You’d think we haven’t seen each other in months judging by your reaction.”

“I’m excited. I love the 500 and I love Florida. I’m going to the beach tomorrow. You coming with me?”

“Of course. Don’t I always?”

“Good point.”

“Now hurry up. Dad wants us all to have dinner together and he’s got a poker game at nine. Lets go.”

“Any idea where we’re going for dinner?”

“Probably a steakhouse if I had to guess.”

They were walking through the parking lot when Chelsea broke the silence, “You’ve been busy today huh?”

“Yeah but what made you ask?”

“You haven’t even changed out of your Stewart-Haas polo yet.”

“Why would I? Changing takes time I don’t have and this shirt is comfortable. You should try wearing one now and then and you’ll be in love.”

“I’m not even going to say how badly you need a life.”

“A life? Do you mean where you get to rest and work 9 to 5 and have a social life with people that don’t work around cars pretty much all the time? Because I think I’ll pass on that. I am perfectly happy I’ll have you know.”

***

“So, Chelsea, anything new happening in your life?” Tony asked, cutting his steak.

“Nope. Just work, go to the gym, go out and come home,” Chelsea answered, grabbing one of her steak fries.

“The gym? I’ve heard of this place before but I’ve never actually been in one,” Amber quipped with a grin.

Tony chuckled, “Try going with Jimmie.”

“Nah, I’m good. I’m not going to pay someone to let me into a building to do something I could either do at home or on sidewalks.”

“You should at least come with me once in a while. You can take all kinds of classes.”

“I’ll make you a deal. I’ll go with you as soon as I witness fire freeze.”

Chelsea rolled her eyes, knowing it was a lost battle. “Maybe you’ll change your mind.”

“You girls going to go to the beach tomorrow?” Tony asked, glancing between his daughter and her friend. He knew their usual routine when they were in Daytona but he wanted to make sure nothing had changed.

“Yeah, that’s our plan,” Amber answered, thankful that Tony didn’t seem to have anymore questions about what was going on with her.

“I think I’m going to go for a jog through the infield tonight. You wanna come with me?”

“We’ll see. I might but I’m making no promises.” Amber’s mind immediately went to having a moment alone. She’d told Martin that she’d try and talk to him later and this might be her chance. If they got back to the track in time and Chelsea took off for her jog early enough, Amber might be able to catch Martin before the poker game. “You gonna go as soon as we get back to the track?”

“I might. That way I can relax the rest of the night.”

Amber had to stop herself from breathing a sigh of relief. If her friend left as soon as they got back she’d get the chance to talk to Martin and they really needed to talk. As she thought, she noticed Tony was looking at her with concerned eyes. Her heart sunk as she diverted her eyes away from her father. He knew something was going on and he could read her like an open book. She had to figure out what to tell him and she needed to do it quick.

“So what have I missed so far?” Chelsea asked, drawing both Tony and Amber back into small talk.

As soon as dinner was over they headed back to the track. Chelsea was the first to get out of the car and head for Amber’s motor home. Both Amber and Tony sat still for a minute. “Are you alright?” He asked, shutting the car off.

“Yeah, Dad, I’m good. There is just something going on in my life that is complicated. Its not that I don’t want to tell you but I haven’t figured it out myself yet. Give me some time to figure it out and as soon as I have then I’ll tell you alright?”

“Okay, as long as you’re alright. I’m here if you need to talk.”

“I know. Would you be mad at me if when I tell you there isn’t much detail?”

“No. You’re a big girl and I’m not going to demand you tell me everything that is happening in your life the second it happens. I’d like to know everything but it has to be your decision to tell me.”

Amber leaned over, giving her dad the best hug possible considering they were still in the front seat of his car. “Thank you, I appreciate it.”

“If its someone that has hurt you all you’ve gotta do is tell me and their ass is grass.”

Opening the car door, Amber laughed, “I know.”

By the time she arrived at her motor home, Chelsea was already inside. Amber headed straight for the couch and sat down. “You going jogging?” She asked out.

Chelsea walked out of the bathroom in jogging pants and a light hoodie. “Yup. You wanna come with me?”

“Nah, I’ll pass. Its been a long day and I just want to relax for a while before bed.”

“Suit yourself. I’ll be back in about an hour.”

Amber waited for a few minutes after Chelsea left before she pulled out her cell phone. It was a little after eight so there was still enough time to talk to Martin. She punched in his number and listened as the line rang. “Hello?” He answered after several rings.

“I got a moment of alone time. You still alright with our current arrangement?”

He chuckled, “Yeah. I’m just worried your dad is going to find out and kill me.”

“I bet you thought you were long past those days huh?”

“I did actually. Funny how things work out.”

“I’m going to tell Dad something. Not any specifics but if I explain the gist of what is happening he’ll back off and leave it at that.”

“Are you sure about that?”

“About seventy-five percent. Its better than the alternative which is tell him nothing and then I’m one hundred percent sure he’ll keep asking questions.”

“That’s a good point. So I was thinking that maybe sometime this week before we have to leave for Phoenix that you might come over for dinner?”

“I like the sound of that. Just let me know when.”

“Tuesday and seven?”

Amber thought for a minute, going through her schedule in her mind. “Works for me.”

Meanwhile, as Amber and Martin’s conversation turned more towards getting to know each other, Tony was heading for the Harvick’s motor home. He knew DeLana was there and he thought she was just the person to talk to. Because Amber had grown up without a mother and had been on the road so often with him, she’d bonded to DeLana shortly after they’d met. DeLana was the closest thing she’d had to a mother over the years and even now she still went to her with problems if she needed a woman’s advice.

When Tony reached the Harvicks’ motor home he walked right in without knocking, like he always did. Kevin was stretched out on the couch, playing with the baby. “Your wife here?” Tony asked, giving the little boy a smile.

“She’s in the back. I’m sure she’ll be back in here soon,” Kevin looked over with a cheeky grin. “Hey Stewart, I think you missed the memo. The game is at Earnhardt’s and its for the men.”

“Shut it, Harvick. I need to talk to DeLana about Amber.”

“Everything alright?”

“I think so. She says it is. I just want to know if she’s said anything about it.”

DeLana walked back into the living room, greeting Tony with a smile. “What’s going on?”

“Something is going on with Amber. She said she’d tell me when she figures it out but I was wondering if she’s said anything to you. I don’t know if its she needs to figure out what is going on or if she needs to figure out what to tell me.”

DeLana sat down. “She hasn’t said anything to me. Are you worried about her?”

“I was but she seems alright. Confused but alright.”

“Then I wouldn’t worry about it. She’ll tell you when she’s ready.”

“I know.”

“Are you in a hurry to know?”

“No, I just want to make sure she isn’t afraid to tell me. Its not like I’m going to tell her she can’t do something. She’s an adult.”

DeLana narrowed her eyes on Tony and laughed, “You give everyone advice. Just because you don’t tell her she can’t do it doesn’t mean she doesn’t know you don’t like it. Remember her last boyfriend? You didn’t tell her you didn’t like him or tell her to break up with him but she still knew how you felt.”

“She did?”

“Anyone with a set of eyes and an ounce of common sense knew!”