The Symphony of the Bugs

The Symphony

The wildfire just about wrecked the whole Savannah.

-

Ryan found Spencer out of pure luck. Or, Spencer found Ryan. Either way Spencer was able to lick the matted fur clean on Ryan's back, that tiny patch on Ryan's shoulder he couldn't reach himself, and Ryan was able to curl up next to Spencer and stop the younger cub from shivering.

They slept, too tired to fight their exhaustion, but poorly. Every sound made Spencer twitch, made Ryan peak his eyes open and just look through the black soot for predators. By the ninth time Ryan was awakened he curled in tighter next to Spencer. He figured if something were to come kill them, at least they’d be together.

-

Brendon was trying to find water. He had long ago given up on trying to find his family. They wouldn’t even notice he was gone. They wouldn’t care. His brothers always said he was just slowing the pride down. Stopping his family from covering more ground, gaining more territory. He was a hindrance in their fight for survival.

Brendon couldn’t understand why everyone just couldn’t be friends. Why did they always have to move all the time? Why couldn’t they share that tiny area of shaded grass with that other pride? Was it really all that big of a deal?

His mouth was dry by the time he came to the conclusion that no, it was not that big of a deal. And if everyone learned to get along they could all work together, be a giant team. Sharing food and watering holes would make life so much easier. More lions meant more team members, and Brendon thought they could all take shifts. That way everyone would get a break at times. Maybe then his mom wouldn’t be so annoyed every time his dad said he was hungry. And as an afterthought, Brendon noted that more lions meant more protection against snakes. That made him smile.

Brendon was sluggish by the time he came to the conclusion that he could start his own team. He could show his family how much easier life would be once they were nicer to the others. Once he got his own team together he’d bring them back to his family. Brendon would then be able to convince them he was right.

-

Spencer bit Ryan’s ear, making the older cub wake from his sleep.

Ryan asked, “What’s wrong?”

Spencer nudged Ryan’s side. “I’m hungry, Ry. We should go look for food.” As an afterthought Spencer added, “Together.”

Before standing Ryan flexed his claws in the dirt and stretched his legs. He looked at the dark plains before them. Ryan couldn’t recognize where they were. It was all black patches that didn’t look familiar. It all smelled of smoke, the puffs lingering to taint the sky. It all looked too different. A huge contrast between the before and after. He spent most of the fire under a couple rocks, hiding from the heat. He wouldn’t ask Spencer where he hid, knowing it had to be similar. Except Spencer undoubtedly cried his voice raw, whimpering for his family. So, neither of them thought to pay attention to where they ended up.

Ryan took a few strides forward before glancing back at Spencer. “Anything in mind?”

Spencer jumped to him, and then suggested, “Bugs?”

-

Brendon clawed at the tree, whimpering, desperately trying to climb up. He lost his footing on a small branch, one he couldn’t rest on because it was too close to the ground. Too close to the snake hissing at the bottom. He yelped when he hit the dirt, struggling through his panic to properly stand.

The snake let out another hiss, curling up and baring its fangs, ready to strike. It was about to snap when something from the tree pounced and landed on it. Brendon jumped back, scared and shaking. He watched as another lion cub, a little bigger than him, stuck its claws in the snake and killed it.

The lion cub bit it, just to be sure, and looked at Brendon. Brendon was still trembling, so he asked, “Are you okay? I killed it.”

Brendon shivered, and nodded. Snakes freaked him out, to the point where he doesn’t notice things because he’s too focused on getting away. He just realized the cub must have been in the tree he was trying to climb, so he said, “Thanks.”

The lion cub took a careful step forward. “You scared of snakes?”

“Terrified,” Brendon corrected. “I didn’t mean to step on him though! It was an accident, I swear!”

The cub chuckled. “It’s okay. He was probably just scared too.”

Brendon titled his head to the side, curious. “You think so?”

The cub took another step closer. “Well, you are a lion. If I was as small as the snake I would have been scared.”

Brendon smiled in awe. He jumped, landing on the other cub. “You’re so smart!” Brendon beamed, unintentionally pinning the other lion to the ground. “I’m Brendon, we should be friends.”

The cub only sniffed Brendon’s chest, not seeming to care that he just got knocked over. “Okay. I’m Jon.”

-

It rained for three days. So, Spencer and Ryan hid under rocks as the thunder shook the ground and the lighting flashed in the sky. They were dry by the time two other cubs stumbled under their hideout, unaware that Spencer and Ryan were huddled in the corner.

Unknowingly, one cub stepped on Ryan’s tail, and he jumped when Ryan snapped. The other cub was quick to react, and snarled at Ryan and Spencer, baring teeth and crouching down next to his companion, who gave a small hiss but mostly retreated behind his friend. Spencer looked at the snarling cub and pounced on him, knocking them both into the rain. They rolled in the mud, scratching and growling between claps of thunder.

Ryan edged further into the corner, glancing between Spencer fighting and the other cub still inside the cove. The cub seemed not to notice Ryan’s attempts at hissing; he only kept his eyes on Spencer and his companion.

When Spencer finally pinned the cub, he went to bite its neck. He was ready to really hurt the lion cub, ready to scare him off. No one snarled at Ryan, and especially not since the fire. Ryan was all he had left. But when he got closer to the unfamiliar fur, he heard the other intruder gasp, “Jon, no!”

Spencer froze, recognizing the desperation in the cub’s voice. It was all too familiar. It sounded too much like Ryan when they first met, when Spencer brought Ryan back to his pride, when he asked his mom and dad if Ryan could stay. It sounded too much like Ryan when Spencer got in trouble on account of him. It sounded too much like Ryan when they got separated during the fire.

Using Spencer’s hesitation, Jon regained the upper hand and pinned him down. He too was going to bite Spencer, but lighting hit the ground feet away, and not a second later thunder struck his ears with the loudest crack he ever heard. Jon jumped off the cub, and they both scrambled into the cave.

All four of them shook as the rain pounded harder, and frequent clips of thunder and lighting crashed and flashed before them. Ryan curled into Spencer, and Brendon licked at Jon’s wounds, doing his best to block out the storm.

“We’re all lost aren’t we?” Spencer finally whispered.

In a voice etched with sleep Brendon murmured, “We should stick together.”

-

The next time Brendon spotted a snake, they were out looking for the small prey that were reappearing in the growing grass. He only shook a little, because Jon killed it before Brendon could fully react.

-

Brendon jumped on Ryan, forgetting all the boundaries. He licked the older cub, who just tried to free himself. Ryan cried of help, letting a smile slip through when Spencer refused to move.

Ryan sighed, “Not fair,” so Spencer followed Brendon’s tact, and jumped on Ryan to groom the cub too. Jon just laughed and joined the pile, and soon enough when Ryan was soaked they all fell on each other.

Ryan whispered, “Are we friends?” when he noticed the color slipping back into the Savannah.

Jon playfully tugged his ear, answering, “Yeah. I think so.”

-

As their habitat was slowly growing back, they took turns staying up to watch for predators. The four cubs quickly adjusted to the system, praising Brendon for suggesting it. He just smiled and knew his parents would be proud.

-

“I got a bird!” Spencer yelled when he dropped the carcass at his feet.

Ryan walked over, and rubbed his head against Spencer’s shoulder. He purred, “You’re amazing.”

Spencer pushed into Ryan’s side and picked up his prize. They all shared it that night, and huddled under a tree to rest. Jon licked Brendon’s fur and said, “I’ll take the shift tonight for you, Spencer.”

Spencer smiled and buried his face in Ryan’s coat.

-

Brendon found his family rotting away in the dry heat, with flies buzzing around the dead flesh. He took a step back, quivering at the sight. That was his dad, still and dead. Out of the corner of his eye Brendon saw his mom, but he couldn’t stop looking at his dad. His dad’s eyes bore into Brendon’s, unnerving and cold and lifeless.

Jon tried to step closer to Brendon, let his body brush Brendon’s comfortingly, but Brendon let out a cry, stopping Jon in his tracks. Brendon pounced forward, striking a snake that had begun to slither it’s way closer to his dad. In a blind rage of sickness, heartbreak, and anger, Brendon killed the snake. He whimpered when he was done, and nudged his dad’s paw.

“Are you proud of me dad?” Brendon asked. He curled next to his father, whimpering loudly.

After a second or two, Jon was biting Brendon’s side. He nipped at Brendon, who turned to let out a growl.

Jon cried, “Brendon, c’mon! Look, they’re hunters over there!”

Brendon looked over his shoulder, saw the humans walking closer. He growled, but Jon was biting at him again, and soon enough two other mouths were joining in. They got him to his feet, and they all ran off.

Brendon didn’t spare a last glance at his dad, knowing he would never get an answer.

-

With Jon curled protectively next to him, Brendon fell asleep to the symphony of the bugs. All the humming and buzzing was filling the silence in his ears. It was the backdrop to Jon’s even breathing next to him, to Spencer’s, to Ryan’s.

When he woke up the next sunrise, Jon shared a look with Spencer and Ryan, before turning to Brendon. Jon licked Brendon’s head, before purring, “We are proud of you.”