Sometimes We Must Grow Stronger

I would say I’m sorry

The funeral came and went to the girls. Audrey tried to look at least somewhat composed. She even managed to return the hugs and sad smiles that her mother's friends and coworkers showered on her.

Cassandra, however, remained furious about the news that Christa had brought them.

"Let's just get out of here." She told Audrey as soon as the services ended, "Maybe we can run away and find someplace to hide out, at least until we're eighteen."

"We can't." Her sister snapped, slightly irritated, "There's nothing we can do. I know you're trying to do what you think is best for us, but it's probably better if we just go along with it. It's only six months."

Cass glared at her sister, but before she could speak, Christa had approached them.

"I just got a text from your father." She said, cutting in, "He says that the plane landed early. He's taking a cab, and he'll be there in half an hour. We should get going."

They followed her back to the car, and they went off. The drive back was awkward and silent.

When they got back to the house, the girls went up to their bedroom to finish packing.

"Come on, let's go." Cass sighed, grabbing Audrey's hand.

"No, Cassandra. I told you, we can't. Come on, he might not be that bad."

"Not that bad?! He fucking left our pregnant teenage mother broke and alone! But please, enlighten me: how is he not that bad?"

Audrey kept her head down, not willing to justify her sister's childish behaviour with an answer.

"Exactly." Cass murmured, "Now, are you done packing?"

Audrey nodded, feeling a lump in her throat and tears in her eyes. Cassandra sighed.

"Come here. I don't mean to take it out on you," She said, pulling Audrey into a hug, "I know it wouldn't work out. I guess I just don't want to believe this is happening."

"I know, Cass." Audrey sighed, embracing her, "But it's only six months. We can deal with this without causing any unnecessary trouble."

"You don't want to cause any trouble?" Cassandra asked, breaking the hug and raising an eyebrow, "That bastard left us and you don't want to make his life a living hell?"

"I just want to graduate and move on. I mean, I don't hate him."

"Why not?" Cass asked, "You have every reason to. I hate him."

"I don't know. I just can't."

Cassandra was about to say something, but she was interrupted by a voice.

"Girls, your father is here." Aunt Christa called from downstairs.

Cassandra looked absolutely furious as she pulled her sister up and to their aunt, who stood next to a man they presumed to be their father.

He stood at a little under six feet tall, with dark hair, and hazel eyes. His smile was bright but shy. Audrey recognized him immediately, but got over her shock and glanced over at Cassandra, knowing full well that she was probably not going to take this well.

Cass just stared at him in disbelief for a moment, before quietly asking, "Are you really who I think you are? Are you really Gerard Way?"

He nodded, apprehensively anticipating her next reaction.

"I'll go wait in the car." Christa mumbled, desperate for a chance to leave.

When she left, Cassandra continued, still trying to process the situation. "No, you're not. You can't be." She said slowly, "There's no way. Gerard Way saves people's lives, not ruins them. There's no way in hell you could be him."

He sighed, before finally speaking up, "Look, I was a teenager. I was scared. It's no excuse, but I would do anything to make it up to you both."

He stepped forward, trying to make peace. Cassandra immediately stepped back.

"Get away from me, creep." She snarled, "You may be my biological father, but you're not my dad. I'd rather die than be with you, but it looks like I have no choice. But keep in mind, the second I turn eighteen, I'm out."

"Come on," Gerard said, desperately, "Give me a chance."

"Fuck you. I'm going to get a few suitcases." Cass said finally, quickly leaving the room.

As she left, Gerard turned hopelessly to Audrey.

"She'll get used to it," She said softly, "She's just a little angry at you, and she has every right to be."

"Are you?" Gerard asked, feeling genuinely shitty.

Audrey sighed, "A bit, yeah. It's hard not to be. But you need someone on your side right now. Cass hates your guts. I'll give you a chance, though, even if she won't."

He smiled softly, "My name's Gerard Way. I'm your father."

"I know who you are," She replied, returning the smile, "And I'm Audrey Morgan."

He stepped forward, and she could finally see the tears in his bloodshot eyes. "You look just like your mother, freckles and all."

"Yeah, and her unmanagable hair." She chuckled, afraid that if she didn't joke around, she'd start crying. He just stared at her, smiling and crying.

Cass entered the room, a suitcase in each hand.

"I hate to break up the reunion of the deadbeat father and the naive daughter, but there are two more suitcases and four boxes. What are we supposed to do about the boxes?"

"Your aunt and uncle are going to ship them tomorrow. As for tonight, we need to get to the airport soon. Are you both ready?" Gerard asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be." Cass said, rolling her eyes. Audrey nodded, not wanting to speak up and upset Cass even further.

"Well, girls," He said as he grabbed the suitcases from Cass, "let's go."