Sometimes We Must Grow Stronger

Let Me Be The One To Save You

Gerard handled all the suitcases. He absolutely insisted, which Cass was fine with. She took the passenger's seat in the car, and put her headphones in. Audrey, however, quickly grabbed their carry-on bags before he could say anything. Cass immediately snatched her own, continuing to act like an absolute child. Audrey simply shrugged it off and sat in the back with her own, pulling it onto her lap.

When Gerard returned, he sat next to Audrey and struck up a conversation. "So, Audrey, seeing as you know quite a bit about me already, do you want to tell me a little about yourself?"

"Not much to tell you, to be honest." She shrugged, "I like to read, I like to write. I'm kind of a shut-in, to be honest. If she wasn't acting this way, Cass would probably be more interesting to you. She absolutely loves your band, and I could only name a handful of songs that you've done. If it weren't for her posters, I wouldn't know who you are."

"It's alright." He said quietly, smiling gently, "I really don't care whether or not you like my band or my comics. I just want you to like me."

"I'm pretty neutral to you right now." Audrey frowned, sighing, "I have every reason in the world to hate you, but I'm going to give you a chance. I don't know what happened with you and my mother, and I don't want to know right now. I just want this horrible day to end."

Gerard nodded, his smile dropping slightly, "I'll tell you my side when you're ready. Is that alright with you?"

Audrey nodded, not sure if she really wanted to know.

Within five minutes, Christa parked the car and said, "It looks like we're here."

.

Aunt Christa stood with the girls outside the security gates. Gerard was busy getting their tickets and checking in their luggage, knowing that they probably wanted to say their goodbyes in private.

"Listen up, you two." The aunt told her nieces, "I know this is hard to believe, but he does care about you two."

"He has a shitty way of showing it." Cass murmured, earning a glare from Christa.

"Anyways, try not to cause too much trouble. If you both stay out of trouble, you can move in with me as soon as you're eighteen." Both of the girls lit up, and Christa hugged them as she continued, "Audrey, watch Cass. Let me know if she's giving Gerard hell. I'm going to go now, so I don't have to deal with him. Keep in touch!"

The girls watched as she left, and it wasn't long before Gerard came back.

.

"The flight will board in an hour." He said, handing the girls their tickets, "We're lucky: we were able to find three seats together. Now, do you want to get something to eat while we wait?"

Cass rolled her eyes and said, "Let's just get through security and get this over with. I'm not hungry, I bet she's not hungry. Let's just...go."

"Cassandra, be nice." Audrey glared. Cass rolled her eyes and started to walk towards security. Gerard and Audrey just stared for a second, watching her.

"She'll warm up eventually." The younger twin said softly. Gerard sighed.

"Yeah, I know. I fucked up." He grumbled.

"Her mother just died. Our mother. She's going to be a bit of a jerk for a while." Audrey defended, leading him towards security, "Try to see it through her eyes."

"I'll try not to say anything. I just hope Bandit doesn't start to copy her."

"Bandit?" Audrey asked, taking off her shoes and jacket, going through the security process.

"Yeah. She's my other daughter. She's about four." He said, as he was scanned, too, "Do you'll think there might be any problems?"

"No." Audrey said, putting her shoes back on, "Cassandra might give you and I hell, but I doubt she'll be rude to your family. Are you still with Bandit's mother?"

"We've been married since '07." He smiled, "Lindsey can't wait to meet you. We wish it wasn't under these circumstances."

"It's best not to worry about that." Audrey said simply, "I think I've found Cassandra."

They caught up to her, and found a place to sit until it was time to board the plane.
.

The flight wasn't very long, which was good for Cassandra. She hated to fly, and it was the last thing she needed on the day when her mom was buried. Sighing, Cass flipped through her ipod, ignoring her sister and Gerard, who were busily chatting away. It was obvious to her that Audrey didn't care about how he hasn't made an effort to talk to them in years, let alone bother to meet them until today.

She just felt so betrayed. During times when she felt so alone, she could always listen to My Chemical Romance and feel so much better. Gerard Way was her hero, and it really hurt her to know that someone that she could look up to that much could just simply abandon his daughters.

Well, she didn't know if he tried to communicate with them or not, but their mother never had anything nice to say about him.

She cursed herself as she felt tears well up in her eyes. Keeping her head down, she waited for herself to calm down, but they still fell. She couldn't help it: her mother was dead, and she had to live with this complete stranger, and she didn't even have her sister to help her through this.

Cassandra kept her head down until they landed, and quickly got out as the passengers started to get off the plane. Gerard and Audrey weren't too far behind.