Restraint

The Day After

It's the worst feeling anyone could ever experience. Waking up the day after. Not unlike having an intense hangover, but much worse. The stale taste of blood on your breath knowing you'd killed again but being too afraid to open your eyes and see the carnage. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. That is, if any of my enemies lived longer than a month.
I forced my eyes open and screamed when I came face-to-face with Makira. Her near flawless face lay barely touched mere inches from my own, despite a few drips of blood that'd rolled down from her hairline and crusted onto her face. Her body was the exact opposite, if you could call the limbs strewn around the room a body. I sighed and hoisted myself up of the ground. I wonder where I was this time. The room had no windows but light shone through the cracks in the walls. The sharp smell of salty water drifted my way. I closed my eyes and paid enough attention to hear the waves lapping calmly at the beach roughly a hundred feet away. If I were a wave that had spent the entire night hearing a woman be ripped apart by a beast I'd probably lap at the beach roughly not calmly. Then again it's not like the wave has a choice... Or a brain. I sigh and sit up completely this time. It was one of the old warehouses in Marks. Marks was a poor neighborhood on the complete other side of the city from my apartment. I groaned, I knew to expect a long walk home by now but every month I was equally bummed out by it. I glanced around the room trying to see if any of Makira's clothes had made it through. The pieces of what might have been a shirt at one time were scattered in the corner. I got up and scanned for a door. I pushed it open and cringed at just how badly I'd been this time. There was blood on the roof! The building was at least six of me high. I shook my head and decided my best bet of getting home unnoticed would be to swim.
The good part of the city being on an island is that I'm pretty much confined to only the island when I go crazy. There's only been one time I woke up off the island and it was because the man that I hated the most at the time had been out of town so I stalked him three states over and killed him there. A noise around the corner of the building made me jump I darted to the water before even turning my head and in less time than it would have taken to. The water was the perfect temperature. It felt good to get the blood all over me off and for my hair to no longer feel crunchy. A scream from behind me alerted that some unfortunate soul had found the body. I turned it into speedboat style and ironically dog paddled my way home.