New American Classic

In The Shadows

Don’t ask me how I already was feeding my demon when I had just touched down in the UK a little over an hour ago. I did though, and I couldn’t be happier. It took me forever to find the stupid apartment that was provided for me, and took me even longer to haul all of my things to the 8th floor by myself. It wasn’t a shabby apartment it was very modern. The walls were all white, the floors a dark greyish color & tiled, and the furniture was split between black and the same dark greyish tint. The view from the living room window was absolutely gorgeous, a balcony stuck out from it too. I stood out there for a while, trying to take everything all in. Sirens blared obnoxiously as my head swam with thoughts.

I’m here. I thought to myself. I’m really freakin here. All this worrying, and self-doubt and here I am in the dead center of London…one of the greatest cities of all time. A slight breeze gave me goose bumps and I decided it was time to make myself feel welcome now that I’d be spending the next forever here.

The sun was quickly starting to set, the once hot summer air dropping to a cool relaxing temperature. I threw on something very dark knowing I couldn’t be seen and headed out on my adventure for some of the UK’s version of euphoria. I wasn’t really sure where to check considering I’d never been over here before, but I remember passing some pretty sketchy areas on my way to the apartment so I figured checking there would be the best bet. I know I was being stupid, I know this whole thing was probably one of the most dangerous decisions I could make but when you’re in as far as I am…danger and fear don’t become part of the equation anymore. Dogs were barking from random houses up and down the streets & just like when I was at the apartment sirens rang not too far in the distance.

”This is crazy Lola, go back.”

I ignored my thoughts quickly and pulled my hoodie tighter around my shrinking frame. It was crazy I know, but I didn’t care I needed what I needed and nothing was going to stop me. As I kept walking deeper and deeper into the dark decrepit neighborhood I finally saw what looked like the outline of a person standing underneath a bare tree on the corner. My eyes widened and my heart start to flutter; FINALLY. I wanted to run to him, wanted to just get my fix and leave but I couldn’t just attack him then that would be a stupid move. So I slowed my pace a bit, and threw my hood up over my head. I got closer and once I came into the stranger’s vision he shifted on his feet slightly preparing to run.

“I’m on your side.” I whispered, trying to sound calm.

No matter how many times I had done this, I still always got a little nervous. The man said nothing he just turned towards me; relaxed.

“How much?” I asked having no clue what the difference would be here.

“40.” He mumbled never looking up at me.

I didn’t detest. I quickly grabbed my Euro converted money from my back pocket and forced it into his hand. Slickly he put the baggy in mine then without another word walked away. My heart was slowly going back to its normal rate, and my limbs stopped shaking. I put the baggy along with my hands into my pockets and looked for a place to use my new purchase; the urge to get high overpowering the will to wait til I arrived home. I headed back the way I came and finally found a desolate alley. I checked my surroundings for any suspicious people but only came in contact with an orange ratty tomcat and some garbage cans.

“Good.” I whispered to myself, full of satisfaction.

Quickly I made my way into the alley and hid myself behind a dumpster. My hands started to shake with anticipation, and I couldn’t get my “equipment” out fast enough. I tied the rubber band around my bicep tightly, and searched endlessly for a “good”, hungry vein.

“That’s it.” I purred to my arm as I found what I was looking for.

I shoved the needle in securely and let out a slight moan as I rested my head back against the grimy brick wall. Quickly I slid into a state of the unknown. All of my senses were heightened, and I could hear my heart in my ears. I couldn’t help but let out a long, slow, breathy cackle my current position apparently comical. After staying slumped against the wall for what seemed like forever I decided to hike it back home before I nodded off and looked like a homeless person. It took me awhile but eventually I remembered the right way home. By now it was really late, I was in the alley longer then I thought. No one was around and the sirens finally died down.

Sluggishly I made my way inside the huge apartment building, shuddering at the chill from the still running air conditioner. Impatiently I waited for the elevator and once inside I rested my back up against the door.

This was perfect.

I thought to myself as I started drifting into sleep. The elevator dinged but I paid no attention, I was too far-gone now. Suddenly everything shifted around me and I felt myself falling backwards, landing a lot softer then expected.

“Shit!” A voice came from below me.

As quickly as I could I flew up off of whomever I had apparently smashed. To my surprise a boy around my age was sprawled on the ground trying to gain composure.

“Oh my god!” I yelped, instantly sticking out my hand. “I’m so sorry.”

Reluctantly the boy took my hand sending shivers down my entire spine. When he stood straight he was at least a foot taller then me with soft shaggy brown hair, and all black attire. Our eyes met briefly and I felt flames of embarrassment fill my cheeks as I looked down at my feet.

“It’s ok.” He said with a slight chuckle. “I didn’t expect anyone to be out this late.”

I finally got the balls to look back up at him, his dazzling brown eyes focused on my face. My face burned a deeper crimson and I felt my stomach drop.

“I just…I…” I choked on my words, trying not to be obvious. “I couldn’t sleep.”

The boy laughed awkwardly obviously searching for something to say.

“Yeah those damn sirens keep me up constantly.” He said.

By now my head was spinning, my high taking a turn for the worst.

“I’m Dan, by the way.” He introduced himself, sensing the tension.

I attempted a smile.

“Lola.” I responded.

“American?” He poked, not recognizing my accent.

“Yeah.” I responded really not wanting conversation. “I’m here for school.”

Dan smiled then looked down at his shoes.

“Well I’ll let you go.” He finally said. “It was nice meeting you er Lola…hopefully I’ll see you around.”

Something about him made my heart fumble around itself. He was absolutely stunning, his accent adding to it.

“Yeah.” I said, “My apartment’s right there if you ever need company.”

My response shocked both of us…confidence usually didn’t come this easily to me. Dan nodded then waved goodbye shuffling past me. I waited until he got on the elevator to let out a slight sigh of relief. My high was fading quickly and I felt myself grow tired.

”I bet he doesn’t like addicts.”

What he doesn’t know won’t kill him…
♠ ♠ ♠
Lola's little adventure outfit

so i can't quit writing.
i hope y'all like this.
comment//recommend//subscribe
<3