Status: Progress Completed :)

UpSide Down Alice

Alice's Lory

“I keep having this dream,” Alice starts. “There’s a girl in a cliché white dress spinning. There are people around her when her eyes close, they are watching as she turns gracefully like a figure on a music box. With her eyes closed, she goes on a journey; much like Alice did in Wonderland and awakens to find that her life is not as she wishes because no one is watching. At least those are the words she is repeating over and over. When I go to reach for her, she vanishes, and I feel a desperate need to find her again. I feel like I somehow failed in saving her.”

Alice lays down frustrated with this dream she couldn't seem to understand. I am silent from my perch in a high tree branch. She knew I couldn't explain a thing to her; it was against Wonderland’s rules. She tossed the grass she was uprooting about, deep in thought.

“Does anyone else have dreams here?”

“No one else sleeps here Alice.” I got up as I saw the colored lightening strike right by Alice.

She didn't even flinch; in fact she took no note of the lightening at all. She was so lost in thought, her eyes hazing over. I knew very soon Alice would be seeing through the other’s eyes again. Her episodes were growing frequent again, she freeing all her thoughts into Wonderland’s soil. It was feeding off her, and she was becoming weaker as each day passed more slowly than the next.

“Lory,” she whispered.
_________________________________________________________

Mitchell woke up reaching out for Lory. She knew that her hand would never again feel Lory’s fingertips brushing hers. She would never again grab Lory’s arms and draw stars on her milky white flesh again. They would never break out into water fights on her old front lawn ever again. The thought of her death weighed down briefly against her chest, and for a moment it was hard to breath. She couldn't move under its weight, so she waited for it to pass, knowing that it never really would. She rose from her bed in silence, passing the purple and pink shape that watched her and went into the bathroom. She splashed cold water on her face, hearing Lory’s laughter echo in her head. She let her mind wander just for a moment to a time they once shared.

“You are a butt monkey, you know that right.” Lory laughed as she tossed red bull in Mitchells' hair.

“Then how come I am so stunningly attractive?” Mitchell waggles her brows at Lory and they both laugh so hard that they fall onto the grass.

“Hey Mich, what do you think it would be like to live in the stars?” Lory’s voice held a small serious note.

“They same way it is here, I guess. Only prettier and away from all the people who live here.”

“Sounds perfect, we should go there.” She laced her fingers into Mitchell, “just me and you. We could live on the moon.”

“How would we get there?” Lory was silent and Mitchell could read into the unsaid words. “Maybe we can both stay here a little while longer. I can deal with life here as long as I have you.”

“Me too Mich, me too.”

Mitchell felt an ache at the echo of Lory’s long past words. Why did you leave then Lory? She thought to herself. We could have made it together. Mitchell climbs in the showers and ignores the little lines on her legs like she always does. She fought the urge to make a new one because of promise she made two very special people. It was so hard; all of this was so hard. She wished that she could explain to them the raw need to cut; instead she put the water scolding so it could burn the thoughts away. I am going to live for both of us Lory, she thought for the umpteenth time. I will laugh enough for both of us, you just wait and see. She swore to Lory in her mind. She climbed out of the shower and got ready to face another day without Lory in the world.
_________________________________________________

Alice sat up, a small stream of tears coming down her face.

“Where do the dead go Cheshire?”

“Nowhere Alice. That's why they say ‘I am heading nowhere fast’ because that’s where all fleshies go.”

“What about if someone chose not to live?”

“Then she will become a star in Wonderland because that’s where you want her to be.”

I left Alice in thought, nowhere; we are all going nowhere Alice. Why don’t you imagine a pretty place for us all before time runs out?