Status: Progress Completed :)

UpSide Down Alice

The Red Queen's insecurities

“Why does the Red Queen need doctors like that? And where did they take Wendy?”

I had pulled Alice far away enough from the scene of the kidnapping for her to feel safe. So now she was just bursting with questions. I wasn't sure if I wanted to delve right into the details of Wonderland’s underbelly. I didn't want to think about it at all to be honest. I thought I would have more time, that I would be able to keep her from getting sucked into this place. Once she knows about this place, then she will really never be able to leave. I climbed into a dark cave and she followed me. Her eyes filled with worry, confusion, dread but primarily fear. She sat on the wet ground next to me, silently a waiting for me to tell her the story behind the men in the forest.

“Alice, leave here." I looked away from her, staring at some cave drawings. "Remember who you are and go before the Queen realizes your presence too. She hates new people, especially beautiful females. She has them taken to a dungeon, where they are tortured and mutilated. I wasn't always a humanoid, but the Red Queen sent her doctors to get me when I first got here. I didn't have a guide like you do, I was alone and scared. At least she had the courtesy to change me into a pleasant animal. The flowers, the white rabbit, the march hare, the mock turtle, once upon a time we were all fleshies like you. We live by her laws and if anyone over steps her boundaries they die. There are no more trails in Wonderland, she did away with those after... well that's another story. She has low tolerance for anyone or anything. You and I may have more power over Wonderland itself, so we can hide from her but she has power over Wonderland's darkest creatures.”

"We can’t hide Cheshire. We have to save Wendy!” Alice grabbed my chin forcing me to look at her.

“We can’t Alice, no one knows where the dungeons are. She drugs her victims before they get there and after they leave. The only ones who know are the doctors and the Queen herself. It’s impossible, but don't worry she won’t kill Wendy, she will just change her. Her beauty will threaten the Queen; the real reason stems from her unfaithful husband. He has wandering eyes, and hands. The King likes the company of beautiful docile women, the Queen is neither. Alice, Wendy will be no worse for wear. The rest of us survived just fine.”

“That’s unacceptable Cheshire, we have to get her! That woman can't use her pathetic insecurities and incapability to hold her husband's attention as an excuse to hurt others. Especially not when it concerns someone who belongs to me! I want answers, are you going to help me or not? ” She stomped towards the exit of the cave.

I felt my mischievous nature bubble up, “fine, we can ask around. I am sure if we piece the stories together we will find Wendy.”

“Well, let’s start with your story first. Tell me what you can remember Cheshire.” Alice turns towards me.

“Not much I am a afraid. I know it was dark, with the constant sound of dripping filling the empty room. I knew that there were other cells in the dungeon because I heard constant whispers. I was kept blindfolded most of the time, so I didn't see much other then the doctors. Through electro shock therapy they try and purge you of all ill thoughts towards the Queen. That’s all I can remember, that and constant fear.” I shrugged and exited the cave. “I hate talking about me Alice, this is your story not mine, so let’s find Wendy.”

I watched as Alice spoke with everyone she could find. Most were unwilling to talk; others spoke softly with their eyes roaming to find the Queen’s spies. I knew that it would not be long before the Queen discovered our intentions and decided how to react to such. I knew that Alice would no longer be safe, her long black hair and glowing green eyes would be make the Queen hate her. Her curiosity would make the Queen kill her. All I could do is step in when the time is right, as I have done once before. I didn't say another word as the day proceeded. When the moon was high in the sky I found us a safe place to sleep. Alice was wide awake deep into the night. She kept muttering that Wendy had to be saved. We both knew that time was running out, for Wendy and maybe even for us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, subscribe and recommend! This not only motivates me to update but it also makes me happy! ♥ Thank you