Status: Progress Completed :)

UpSide Down Alice

Wonderland in Bloom

Alice and I have formed a bond, as close as a cat and a fleshy could get. So I knew when Wonderland began to get restless, that the time was nearing. The time in which Alice would soon starting asking questions and seeking the answers to them. I allow my claws to release from the tension, here it comes. The change from the silence to the noise, when things would have to be faced head on before Wonderland will calm again.

"Cheshire is there anyone here besides us?" Alice's face was somber, as if the eeriness of a two person world was starting to get to her.

Her feet dangled from the branch we occupied. The tree towering high into the sky, neon leaves painting the sky strange hues as they fell. A small pink dyed lake lay still in front of us. Not even a ripple crossed over its surface. It was as if all that had once lived here had died. I suppose it was a bit eerie, but I rather enjoyed it myself. Silence filled the air like a mute story, one that seemed to weigh heavily on Alice’s shoulders. Alice wanted to know now. She wants to her the story. She wants Wonderland to truly be revealed. I resigned to this fact and smiled.

"Of course there are others Alice." I move aside to reveal who was sitting beside me.

Wendy sat with a gentle smile tugging at her lips while Alice fell backwards. From the shock of the whole thing I suppose, or perhaps from leaning to forward. With a sigh I snag her up with my tail.

"How many times well we go through this Alice, hmmm? I told you I hate messes. Besides she was always here Alice."

I look over her ash brown pigtails with doll perfect curls spilling out, and I know to whom she belongs. This was Alice's. She wore a red Lolita-style dress that fell at knee length. The frilly details of that dress catching my attention, I knew it would be something fun to paw at. I entertain myself with the thought of pulling at the edges apart when Alice speaks.

"How did you find me?" She eyed Wendy, sweeping her whole being in shock.

"I have never left you." The sweet voice replied.

With those very words life begins to bloom in Wonderland and I cringe back. I don’t like the crowd, that’s why I have my own forest. I knew for a fact that for Alice I would have to deal with what is to come. I am her guide after all. I could feel the life crawling out of the spaces in Wonderland. They will be coming now, I thought, the others.

"Wendy-lee!" Alice grabbed her hand and for a brief moment they became one.

Images of Alice in her fleshy world flashed. Alice sitting on a park swing, her hair flying back as she was pushed higher and higher by Wendy, their laughter filling the air. Alice much older now seated on a couch eyes glued to the floor avoiding Wendy's gaze. Wendy holding Alice close to her body as she cried uncontrollably and reluctantly into her arms. And then there was just Wendy. Then there was just Alice.

Their hands parted and you could hear the change in Wonderland. Birds flew by singing tunes of joy; signs of life beginning to bloom in the world around us. Now she could experience insects, flowers, laughter, and the chatter of frogs walking by, a dragon making circles in the sky and diving into the water becoming a fish. Neon fish jumped out of the once still lake. They filled the once hushed lake with the noise of constant splashing. Alice's eyes widen in shock from the sudden change.

"Where did all this come from?" Her voice was breathy; she was in awe of the beauty.

I laughed, "Haven’t you learned anything yet? This was always here."

I threw myself into the pink lake and I knew for a moment she saw me as a fleshy. Young and full of a distant joy. My eyes narrowed as I watch her stare at me. Her eyes fixed on mine. She was trying to place me in her memories of an old world, her fleshy world.

"Cheshire. I know you." I heard her loud and clear, even 20 feet under the surface.

"Well of course you do dear. You've been here quite a while." My response floated up to her ears in a bubble and popped when reaching earshot.

"No, that’s not what I mean. I mean from before." Her mind was in flight trying to place me.

___________________

Mitchell sat on a park swing. Her feet just barely touching the ground below, as she gently rocked back and forth. A sound causes her to look up. A pink and purple kitten played in and out of view. She jumps off the swing chase the curious creature. She followed the pink and purple blur to a tall, out of place tree. Its branches held blue leaves at its end. When she got closed to the tree and the kitten seemed to have vanished as if they were never here at all.

_______________

"You're the cat from the park!"

I was already gone. My paws were parting the water as I continued to swim miles under the water. This watery world which is filled with cloud fish and coco birds that swarm around me and chanting. I ignore everything they say and peer back up at Alice. Your eyes are opening Alice. Don't be in such a rush to see it all.

I could see her sitting on the branch talking to where Wendy should be according to the reflection on the water.