Status: Progress Completed :)

UpSide Down Alice

The Mock Hatter

The life blooming around Alice made her glow to life. She allowed a smile light up her ivory face, causing her green eyes to sparkle like gems. What a crooked smile it was, as lopsided as Wonderland, with all the splendor and beauty. From beneath the surface of the night sky sea, I watch Alice speak animatedly to Wendy whose presence remained. We would continue like this for days now, Wendy, Alice and I. Alice would drag us about to see all the new creatures in Wonderland. So we would relax by the side of bodies of water, her feet dangling in, I would dive in. Moments just for I, to observe Alice, and bask in glorious silence.

The neon pink with purple clouds made me smile. I watched as the slide past rapidly, as if in a race, whom of which could get nowhere faster. Wonderland hummed under my skin. I wondered if Alice has noticed her changes yet. The way her eyes had traces of black in them, the way her feet never bleed anymore against the hard brush or perhaps how her clothes never tattered. A deep sigh escaped my lips at the thought, causing pink and purple swirls to fill the water. Soon Alice was become a part of Wonderland, just as all the others have, then she will be a guide. The endless cycle that is Wonderland.

"Cheshire!" Alice looked at the purple smoke twirl around the strands of her hair. "Who is that?"

I gazed over her shoulder at the brim of a top hat. I remained silent I can't reveal any truths of Wonderland. Her eyes glowed hues of blacks like smoke dancing in those green eyes. She was entranced by the new life, by his sudden presence. She knew of nothing of him, but something about the brim of his hat was like a magnetic to her.

"It's a hatter." I say teeth shut in a grin.

"He's beautiful." Her eyes followed his brim across the giant lily pads that were two goreshanks, pardon miles, away.
_________________

Mitchell tugged at her hair. The black waves with kisses of brown cascaded down her back. She willed it to look the best it has ever looked so far. This was an important day for her. She started at her black pleated skirt, green lace top and sighed. She hoped, once again, that she looked perfect. She had to look perfect to see him.

For the first time in four years she will be laying eyes on her very best friend and boyfriend. She wasn't sure how the last part came about but as far as she was concerned it was perfect. The one who she was sure was her very reason for being. Her heart tugged in a playful, yet unsure way. All good things had a bad ending; she knew that much by now. She shook away the ill thought and continued to await his arrival, with anxious butterflies in her gut.

Traveling to see him would be worth it she could feel it. It was an added bonus since she got to see her family too, plus who doesn't love a vacation? She got a vacation on a beautiful lush island that also happened to be her homeland. She was escaping the cold back home, and she was going to see her love. What could be better than this?

When her eyes landed on him and she felt bubbles filled her gut. Then oddly bubbles were floating around her. She wondered if anyone else could see them. She doubted it, strange occurrences like that always happened around her. Through the bubbles she made out a beast on two legs, it had a cat ears and tail. She noticed the pink and purple color and waved in recognition, her love waved back. The bubbles, the cat, all gone as if it never were, all she knew that it had been.

"Hey." He said, taking her hands in his.

She was breathless, she was in love. She savored the feeling of his hand intertwined with hers. How soft his hands felt, how breathless his kisses felt. She felt so loved, like a princess is someone else story. This had to be what love was about, she thought to herself, ignoring the strange tug that something was off.

Over a period of time she started to wonder why her love seemed to speak in riddles. Nothing he said was ever direct, as if he didn't know how to say what he really felt. Or maybe he was hiding something that he was afraid being straightforward would reveal.

"What matters it how far we go?" His hands roamed over her body.

He would say things like, "There is another shore, you know, upon the other side."
Late at night he pulled her under the stars, pressing her body close to him. She could feel their hearts beat as one. The sound of the water creating the only music they have. He started to sway with her.

"Will you won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?" He sang as her twirled her in the mall. They danced to no music but her heart was beating a song. This was their song, a song of love, the song that they will dance to forever. Could this be true love? This had to be it. This has to be real love.
__________________

Alice ran after him, the one who wore the hat, but when she reached him she gasped at the truth. A crying cow headed creature wore a hat that did not belong to him. She knew this hat could not belong to him, it didn't fit in. His shell round and bulbous, impossible to ignore, the sound of his crying was appalling to her. He looked grotesque with the light hitting him.

"You are not hatter!!"

"Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?" He cried out to her as Alice turned away.

Alice left the mock turtle to cry in dismay and self disgust. Her eyes brimming with tears of distrust and self loathing, how could see be fooled by the likes of him? I could see she felt foolish and tricked.
_________________________
"It's over!" She cried to the pink and purple shadow. "Why does everyone do this to me? They always leave." She sobbed in the loneliness of her room. She was comforted by the thought that her colored shadow was listening. Her cat was always there when she needed her, always.
_________________

Alice was fuming. He was not who she thought he was.

"Some people like to deceive us Alice, even here in Wonderland. This will happen until you release who you were once."

Alice glided away, unaware that the edges of her hair were curled up. As green as grass, the edges have become. The same color of her eyes. Soon she will feel Wonderland’s hum within her skin as well. Soon she will be untied with her new home. Then there will be no returning to her old home ever again.