Status: Finished. Sequel possible.

Bums

Strikes Back

With the Empire Strikes Back blaring on the television, Julian and Bandit sat entranced on Jimmy’s couch staring at the screen. When Bandit had suggested that the two of them watch Star Wars together, Julian almost began to sob with pride. Julian had no doubt that she and Bandit were related.

Halfway through the movie, Lindsey finally joined the two of them and asked if Julian would step outside with her. Warily, Julian agreed and the two of them went into Jimmy’s secluded backyard. Tomorrow was her birthday, and she was constantly anxious of bad news rearing its ugly head. She was starting to get stir-crazy from Jimmy’s house, and this wasn't helping.

Lindsey opened her purse on her arm and pulled out a battered and faded Polaroid photograph. Carefully, she dumped it into Julian’s hands and watched as the younger girl scrutinized the picture. It was obviously of Gerard as a teenager. Chubby, dark hair falling limply across his forehead and thoroughly elated. In his arm was a white-swaddled baby, staring up at his face in wonder.

“He knows you’re here, Julian. He asked me to give that to you. Take care of that, it’s the only picture he ever had of you, he carried it with him everywhere. I’ll see you tomorrow, Julian,” Lindsey leaned forward and gave Julian a tight hug and a gift of her own, before going into the house to fetch a screaming Bandit.

Julian looked down at the picture in her hands, and at the half-used pack of Marlboro reds, and began to sob hard enough to almost gag herself. Jimmy came outside and awkwardly patted her on the back, unsure of how to handle her breakdown. Julian shooed him away and tried to fish her lighter out of her pocket to begin chain smoking the pack of cigarettes that held the unmistakable smell of turpentine.

***

4:36 A.M. flashed on the electric clock on Jimmy’s DVD player.

Curled up on the couch, Julian clutched the picture to her chest and stared at the cell phone vibrating on the coffee table with the familiar number of her father. Shakily, she answered the phone and tried not to cry when she heard his own shaky breath.

Her façade broke in seconds as Gerard quietly sang the birthday song to her, his voice cracking whenever she herself let a sound break through. She was unable to answer when he finished and whispered that he loved her. The line went dead, and Julian pressed her face into the arm of the couch and let herself break.

Three hours later, Lindsey let herself into the house and held Julian as she trembled and cried. Lindsey explained that Gerard was a complete mess, pacing around the house and damn near pulling his hair out. Julian let out a small laugh, and Lindsey pulled away to take hold of Julian’s shoulders.

“Well, you’re an adult now, Julian, so the cops don’t have any more to do with you. You wanna go?”

“Yes. Oh god, yes, you don’t even understand, Lindsey.”

“I’ve had to be around Gerard these past two weeks. Trust me, I understand. Get your things ready.”

Julian clambered into Lindsey’s car, wringing the chest-band of her seatbelt in her hands and staring nervously out the passenger’s side window. Lindsey gave her a reassuring pat on the shoulder before pumping on some music and pulling out of the driveway. Mindless Self Indulgence, Julian smiled when she recognized the band.

“He’s gonna love you, Julian. He already does,” Julian gave a weak smile before wringing her seatbelt again with renewed vigor. Lindsey pulled into a driveway after only ten minutes of travel, and helped Julian get her things out of the car before climbing back in and leaving without a word. Julian watched her go with confusion, before turning to the house.

Fortunately, it looked nothing like what she’d dreamed up all those nights ago. Dragging her suitcase behind her, she climbed up the porch steps and turned the door handle.
♠ ♠ ♠
WHOAAAAAAAHAOAHOHOHOHOHOHOHO.
We're getting to the end.