Status: I really just don't know what to do or where to go with this story, but as soon as I do, I promise you, I will update.

A l'automne

Chapter X

"Autumn," Norman's voice came from above me, I was comfortably nestled in his arms on the couch, no noise but the outside world around us.
"Mmmm," Only slightly coherent, I left my eyes closed, barely even working up the energy to smile. I felt exhausted, but hearing his voice say my name was enough to conjure up the effort.
"I have to leave soon."
"You can stay a while longer."
"I mean leaving New York."
My eyes fluttered open, and I was suddenly awake as if I had been for hours. "Oh." There was so much more to say, but I couldn't bring myself to say anything at all.
"I'm sorry. That's why I didn't want to start anything." He looked down, away from me, not meeting my eyes, "It's why I thought maybe just being friends was better. I'm always gone."
I was always gone, too, but I also had managed several relationships doing so.
"That doesn't mean we can't try." I slightly suggested.
"Or maybe that's exactly what it means." His voice was so low, so quiet.
His words hurt, "I'm going to go."
Neither of us said anything more, and I left. I didn't cry, but I couldn't die that I was hurt. Rejection was just a part of life. Shit happens, and you have to deal with it.
A knock on the door brought me out of the kitchen, I was afraid it'd be Norman, having walked out on him two hours ago. With good reason, of course.
Standing in my doorway, was Mingus. I smiled warmly at his presence, "Hey, what's going on?"
"Can I come inside?"
"Of course." I stepped aside, and he walked inside.
The two of us took a seat on my couch, "I heard my dad's leaving."
I nodded, "Yeah, he told me today."
"That doesn't mean you have to go."
I didn't say anything, surprised at what might come from such an intelligent young man.
"Just because he has to leave, that doesn't mean you do, too. I like having you around. It would really suck if you weren't around just because my dad's not. You're like a part of my family now."
"It's a lot more difficult than that."
"Than what?"
"Just sticking around."
"I'm just asking that this won't change the way you feel, about me, my dad, anything. He's not going to be gone forever."
I sighed, "It's not--"
"I'm not stupid. I know you like him, and he likes you. Just wait."
"I can't put my life on hold, dear, it doesn't work like that."
"What if this is your life?"
I smiled, "I'll stick around."
Mingus grinned, wrapped his arms around me, walking to the door, but before he left, he turned to me, "Even if things don't work out, can we still be friends?"
"Of course, don't think for a second that I'll suddenly stop thinking of you as my own."
He smiled and left. It was amazing what the conversation entailed, and how right he was. Mingus was far beyond his years, mentally, and so was his intelligence.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been SO long since I've posted and I am incredibly sorry. Maybe this'll make up for it? And I will try my hardest to update more often and maybe even get at least one more chapter out this evening.
Have a lovely day/night everyone. <3