Status: I really just don't know what to do or where to go with this story, but as soon as I do, I promise you, I will update.

A l'automne

Chapter VIII

My phone went off in the other room and I had to almost run across my apartment to answer it in time. I had been busy going over future shows and runways planned for the upcoming weeks.
On the other end, Norman sounded almost exasperated, "Autumn, I'm sorry to bother you, but I have to ask of you a huge favor."
"It's no problem, go on."
"Mingus gets out of school in about an hour, and I won't be able to get him, is there anyway you'll be able to?"
"Uhh," I felt slightly nervous, I hadn't really been around him so much by myself, but I also couldn't say no, "Yeah, sure no problem."
"Thank you so much, Autumn, I have to go though, I'll see you later."
"Sounds like a plan. Bye." I hung up, and was honored Norman trusted me with such a value in his eyes, but afraid of what could possibly happen.
Was Mingus even comfortable around me yet?
I decided to quit asking such questions and over-analyzing such a simple task, and just focus on not being late.
Mingus trudged through the snow, to where I stood next to my car, "Your dad got really busy." I explained.
He said nothing, and just got into my car; and I followed suit.
I remained inside my head, while Mingus stared at the flashing scenery beyond the window; the people, the cars, the buildings.
"Are you excited for Christmas?" The small voice pulled me from my own thoughts.
It then occurred to me that Christmas was, in fact only a week or so away.
"I guess I haven't had time to think about that, I've been really busy." I sighed, wishing I had more things to look forward to, but with no family of my own, everything just seemed so empty.
There was silence for a while, until Mingus decided to try to make more conversation; he was better at it than I was.
"Do you like my dad?" He asked so innocently.
"Yeah, of course, he's a great guy."
"No, I mean, do you actually like him?"
The child was so genuine and so innocent. It wasn't asked out of ignorance, it was genuine and pure wonder.
My grip tightened on the steering wheel, I tried to deny that I was falling for Norman, but truth be told, it was inevitable. "Yeah, yeah I do."
Mingus turned once again to the passing scenery before him, watching the blur of city street lights, still burning bright in the day time. "Good. Because I like you, and want you around for a while."
The acceptance of a child. It could make one feel complete. His simple and innocent words floated through the air, in my mind, they choked me up. I felt the tears burn the backs of my eyes.
By the time we got back to the apartments, Norman still wasn't back yet, so it was up to me to watch over Mingus for as long as needed.
I put off the things I needed to get done for work to make him something to eat, and to give him a tour of my place.
"You live here all alone?"
I looked to the ground, feeling slightly ashamed that in my twenty-ninth year of life, I still had no family to call my own, "Yeah, strange it may seem, this is solely my place."
"Do you ever get lonely?"
Mingus' questions were slightly personal, but it didn't feel wrong telling him the truth; it wasn't fair to lie to a child.
"Often."
He nodded. He noticed I had three other bedrooms, full furnished and decorated, and empty. Void of another human for far too long. He understood.
Mingus looked at me from under his hair falling in his face, he slowly walked to me, and wrapped his arms around me, in a very meaningful hug, and whispered, "Well, no you have us. We're just across the hall."
Both Norman and Mingus made me feel so at home, and much less lonely than anyone ever had in my entire life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long! I've missed writing so much, it just seems like I rarely have time anymore. Hope you guys understand.