Dirty Work

Chapter Four

When I was awakened, which I wasn't happy about since I was in the middle of a good dream that involved Alex, I found myself laying on his bed with him sitting on the edge of it.
"It's almost one. I figured you wouldn't want to sleep the day away and you might want to eat..."
"Thanks and yeah, I could eat. Can I ask a weird question first...?"
"Yeah?"
"Last night is a bit of a blur. We didn't do anything too stupid.. right?"
"What do you mean?"
"Like... we didn't have.."
"Sex?"
"Uh, yeah.."
"No we didn't. I wouldn't take advantage of you like that. I would only agree to that if I knew you were thinking straight and if we both wanted to."
"Thanks, I appreciate that. So anyways back to food, what'd you have in mind?"
"Taco bell?"
"Sure. I love how we always have burritos whenever I'm over."
"It's because burritos are awesome."
"This is very true. Haha"
It was nice to know he wasn't that kind of person. A douche bag that took advantage of drunk people that is. I still remembered that kiss and the whole time we were talking all I wanted to do was kiss him. I'd never really felt that way toward someone.. It was strange but I kinda liked it just because it was new and it had to do with Alex. After Taco Bell, I headed home for a little while before heading out to hang with Vinny. We had drifted apart lately because of the band and never being able to match up our schedules. When I got to his house, he instantly knew something was different. I don't know how but he did.
"Why are you so giddy today?"
"What do you mean?"
"You really like someone and something happened. Spill the beans."
"Spill the beans? Really? You've never said that one before, you feeling okay?"
"Don't play dumb with me, I know you too well. Who is it?"
"No one."
"Is it someone you met through me?"
"In a way.."
"Rian?"
"No."
"Zack?"
"Nope."
"Alex?"
...
"It is! You have a crush on the guy you hated at first! That is hysterical. Classic, but still, you're actually moving on. What happened?"
"Nothing happened, why do you wanna know so bad?"
"Because you're my best friend and you used to be a wreck. Now you're happier. You have an awesome band, new friends, and even possibly a boyfriend. Am I not allowed to get excited?"
"I don't get this excited when you get a girlfriend."
"That's because it's not that shocking, I didn't cut all ties to the outside world when someone left me. Not trying to be mean, but that's what you did. I was your only tie to the outside world after that incident."
"I know. Thank you for dealing with that and with me for as long as you did. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but thanks for making me go to that party. If you hadn't I doubt I would've ever become as great of friends with all of those guys as I am now."
"Told you so. This is why you should stop fighting me on stuff."
"Not gonna happen."
"It was worth a shot. So back to Alex. What happened that has you so.. entranced?"
"Nothing."
"Liar, liar pants on fire."
"What are we, five?"
"You are."
"Sure, I'm definitely it. I'm the one using all these old sayings that almost no one uses anymore."
"Oh shut up, just tell me."
"Fine! Stubborn ass."
"You love me, it's okay."
"I don't know why. Anyway all that happened was we hung out and maybe, possibly established that we both liked each other..."
"Is that it?"
"Yep."
"You were too quick, there's something else. Tell."
"We may or may not have kissed. That's it."
"Awh, you're blushing."
"Shut up."
"Oh, whatever. When's the next show?"
"Im pretty sure its Thursday, but I could be wrong."
"I'll try to make it this time. I can't believe you guys are starting to get big already. It's insane, but I'm glad you found something to occupy yourself with and that you love doing."
"I know right, it's extremely hectic but fun. All of it has happened so quickly but hey, we're getting paid to go and play covers with some originals thrown in every now and then so I can't really complain."
"That's awesome."
After a few hours I headed home and went to bed. I hadn't done much but I was extremely tired. Then Sunday flew by and I had to go to school. I talked Alex into staying home and hanging out instead of school and we both knew we'd end up in Saturday school. We didn't care though because it was worth it and we'd be able to entertain each other while we were there. We had a fun day and then we went out to dinner, which was pretty much a casual first date more or less. When I got home my parents were pissed about how much school I'd been missing and were blaming it all on Alex and saying he was a bad influence. I quickly defended him and that irritated them more. My dad decided that I was done with the band and Alex. I think they both knew that wasn't going to happen currently, so they also decided to take away my car privileges. I blew up at them, stomped all the way to my room and then slammed my door. I decided I'd start off by sneaking out when I needed to and if I got caught I'd have to wait and see what their next move was. If it came down to it, I'd just move out. They started taking me to and from school. Would only let Vinny come over and he became my only friend in their minds. By Thursday I knew I'd have to get out of that house because I was about to explode and the guys were gonna need me. As it was nearing closer and closer to the show time I developed a plan of how to sneak out. As soon as my mom went into her room and I knew she had fallen asleep I walked out the front door and quietly locked it. I had left a note on my bed telling them I couldn't give up on the band and that was it. I walked to the park and called Rian, he came and quickly got us to the bar. We were just in time, Zack and Alex had just finished getting everything set up. We kicked it off with All The Small Things and the adrenaline rush finally kicked in. The show was over too quickly and I knew I'd be dead when I got home. I didn't really care anymore though. Alex had told me that if I needed a place to stay I could crash at his place anytime. When I got home, I decided I'd just walk through the front door again, there was no point in trying to sneak in since they already knew I'd walked out. They gave me a lecture and I just nodded through the whole thing, not really listening to any of it. When they brought up Alex this time though I paid attention.
"We care about you and don't want you to be friends with people who will bring you down. Ever since you started spending a lot of your time with Alex, your grades and attendance have dropped. We don't want you to be taken down a bad path.."
"He's not a bad guy. You guys are making him sound horrible. And he's not the one who suggests we skip school most of the time."
"Who is it then?"
"Me. I suggest it because I don't care about school. I care about music. And I care about spending time with people who care about it too."
"Have your band mates skipped as much school as you?"
"No, they've skipped about half the time. Zack and Rian only skip for shows and practices."
"And Alex?"
"We've skipped about the same."
"Why him and none of the others?"
"Because I like him."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean I'm gay and he's sorta my boyfriend."
"Please tell me that's sarcasm, young man."
"No dad, it's not. You have a gay son. You always have. I only dated girls to make you happy.."
"I will not tolerate this in my household. Get out."
"Seriously?! You're going to throw your son out because of his sexuality?!"
"You're damn right I am! Get. Out."
"Fine! I don't want to be here anyway! You're a homophobic asshole!"
"Do not insult me in front of your mother or in my house."
"Whatever. I'm done."
And with that I slammed the front door and got into my car. I sat in the driver's seat for a good ten minutes crying and trying to calm down enough to be able to drive. I drove to Alex's and knocked on the door. He answered and saw how puffy and red my eyes were and simply hugged me.
"What's wrong?"
"I just got kicked out..."
"Why?"
"I'm gay and my asshole of a father doesn't accept that.."
"Oh.. Well fuck him then. Good for you though, for being able to tell them that is. I still haven't told mine, I mean I don't think they really care but still.. Look at it this way, even though you got kicked out you still have a place to sleep that isn't a car. You have people that love you and now we won't have to skip as much school since we'll be hanging out whenever schools over."
"True..."
"I know it hurts, I wish I could fix it but its one of those unfixable things.. I'm sorry.."
"It's okay..."
"Would having me kick his ass make you feel better?"
"Haha, a little bit.. But I wouldn't want you to get hurt in the process.."
"Fair enough. So I'll have to set up the guest room if you want to sleep in there, but you don't have to. My parents will be home tomorrow, they're actually on their flight now but it won't land until the morning. Just so you know."
"Okay, so what are we gonna do now?"
"No idea. Suggestions?"
"I got nothing."
"Wanna see if the guys want to hang for a bit?"
"Sure, I just want to distract myself at this point."
While I was getting my phone out to call Rian and as it was ringing, I happened to look up. Alex took that opportunity to kiss me right before Rian picked up and I became a blabbering idiot so Alex took the phone. He agreed to come over and would pick up Zack along the way. Even though it was 10 o'clock on Thursday night, we all hung out till close to 1am. We got up at the crack of dawn and Alex started cleaning the house. I got up and helped and then it was 6am. Alex had to be at the airport by 6:30 so he started to take me to school first but I talked him into taking me with him. When we got to the Baltimore airport, it was close to 7 and his parents' flight had just landed. When we were walking in, he grabbed a hold of my hand and smiled at me in an adorable way. He didn't let go once, even when his parents approached us and asked. He simply replied by saying I was his boyfriend and they just accepted it. His mom was so sweet and wanted to get to know me and his dad wanted to know what we'd been up to while they'd been gone. We told them about the band and made sure it was cool with them that'd I'd sorta moved in for awhile. They were very understanding and okayed everything. We skipped school and chilled with his parents for the day and then they took us to our show that night. They enjoyed the show just as much as we did and it was amazing to feel accepted and like part of a family again. I'd only been without it for 24 hours but it was nice to have that feeling again. I couldn't believe that everything had really happened. But I was glad it did. Even if that meant getting kicked out of my house and pretty much disowned by my own family. I now had an amazing boyfriend, his awesome parents, three other awesome best friends, and a great band.