Dirty Work

Chapter Eight

*Jack's POV*

Why was it always me? Last night I was cheated on and tonight I was raped... I couldn't talk or make eye contact with anyone. I was so sore and ashamed that I was glad they were the only ones to see me like that. I trusted Vinny, Zack and Rian to never speak of tonight again. Blake was a mistake I made last year and I was glad he was taken to jail and it was finally over. Now would have been the best time to have Alex but that thought made the entire thing worse. I wanted to know where he was, what he was doing.. Yet I also didn't. What if he was with that chick... I needed to stop. I needed to sleep but I couldn't. The pain was keeping me up and I wanted to ask for a pain killer but I couldn't get my voice to work. I searched for a small writing pad and pencil and wrote it down, then woke Vinny so he could help. He didn't whine or any of the things he usually did, he simply looked at me sympathetically and got the medicine. It helped and I was finally able to fall asleep. When I awoke, the pain was back but Vinny came in with breakfast and some more medicine. I took the pills and ate and felt better. I then went back to sleep because I was in no shape to get up and walk. I only woke up to eat and take more medicine. Vinny's mom worked from home so he could go to school while still allowing me to get better. I went back to school on Thursday and had to face everyone there. I skipped lunch and avoided everyone the entire day. Alex even tried to talk to me and I kept my head down and walked away. The guys helped keep people away and from asking questions. I didn't talk for at least a week and a half. Then I slowly started talking, but only to select people. I was also walking normally again after a week of limping. I still couldn't look at people though. Every time I tried the only thing I saw was Blake's face before he.. That stupid smirk that he had before and during is what haunted me the most... We had two days left of school before graduation and I was barely able to make it through the first day. During the second day though, I did better and talked more. I had yet to talk to Alex and knew I wouldn't be able to for awhile. As soon as the final bell rang, I left with Rian and hung out with him and Zack. I stayed at Rian's and when the morning came we had to go to the rehearsal for tonight. Afterwards I left and went to Alex's, he was the only one there.
"Oh, hey.."
"..."
"Look, I'm really sorry..."
"Stop. I just.. I just need to know why.."
"There isn't a reason.."
"Why'd you kiss back?"
"I didn't. I swear I didn't."
"Why didn't you push her off?"
"I was taken by surprise and froze. I love you. I love only you. The last two weeks have been terrible. I've been beating myself up for not being able to push her off. It's been killing me to not be able to talk to you.."
"What happened that night? Since I'm here I might as well hear your side. I don't have the energy to blow up at you nor do I really want to. I went through hell that night and the next night. Hell."
"I was on my way back to our table and this girl called me over, she was talking about the band which is why I responded. She then started handing me drinks and I was already hyped up because of the coffee and adding alcohol just made it worse. I wasn't thinking straight and then she started coming onto me. Before I knew it her tongue was in my mouth and she was practically sitting in my lap. That's when you walked up and she stopped and the look on your face with the tears streaming down instantly killed me. I didn't know what to do and then Zack was pulling me outside and he was trying so hard to not get mad. Then Rian came, slapped me across the face and made me realize how much pain that just put you through. I felt like an asshole for the rest of the night and I went out of town with my parents the next morning to try to distract myself. It didn't work. I still feel like an asshole and will for quite awhile.."
"Oh..."
"I didn't mean to cheat. I'm so so so so sorry and I really wish I could take it back..."
"It'll take awhile but I may be able to forgive you."
"Thank you, and take all the time you need. I don't want to rush into it. And can I ask a question?"
"I guess."
"What happened on Saturday night?"
"Nothing.."
"Jack, you can tell me..."
"I'd rather not.."
"Why?"
"Because I'm ashamed of it. That's why."
"Jack.."
"Fine Alex, you really wanna know?"
"I.."
"I was raped by my ex boyfriend. I was brutalized by a man who I, regretfully, loved but he pushed me away, left me and spread rumors about me. Then he came back into my life raped me and humiliated me by taking a picture of me while I was tied up with my pants down and posted it all over the Internet and sent it to everyone he could. That's what happened Saturday night."
I choked up by the end and had started crying while finishing everything I had to say.
"I'm.."
"Don't. Please, just don't."
"Okay.."
"Now that everything's out and there's nothing to hide. Where do we stand?"
"I don't know, where do we stand?"
"Well to me, you're still my boyfriend at this point and we'll be taking everything slow from here on out."
"I think that's where we both stand. I can definitely agree with that. Thank you.."
"Do you think you could come with me to my parents house?"
"When? Right now?"
"Yeah."
"Sure, why?"
"I want to introduce you to them. I know my mom will be glad to meet you but I want to see how my dad reacts. We have yet to talk and even though we're still a little iffy on our relationship, I want someone to be there. And I want that someone to be you.."
"I'll definitely go with you."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome. I'm glad to do this."
"This should be interesting..."
We headed to my house and knocked on the front door. My mom answered and hugged me super tight. She opened the door wider and allowed us both to come in. My dad turned the corner from the kitchen and stopped in his tracks.
"Mom, dad, this is Alex."
"Jack Bassam Barakat. How dare you come into this house after seven months of silence."
"Dad.."
"No. And not only are you coming back after months of silence but you bring him."
"Do not talk about him like that. Mom, say something."
"Hun, I'm sorry, I'm not going to go against your father's word."
"Mom, tell him what you told me. Please, otherwise it's like you lied to me. If you're ashamed of me then fine but don't tell me that you support me and then turn a blind eye towards me when dad starts in about it."
"Jack, you don't.."
"Don't you dare say I don't understand. In fact, I understand pretty damn well."
"Don't talk to your mother like that."
"Mom, please for the love of god, just tell me right here, right now whether or not you support me."
"Jack, you know I do."
"Mom, say those exact words."
She looked at me, then Alex, then my dad.
"I support you Jack. I may not completely agree with it, but you're my son and I support you."
"Thank you mom. Now dad, please just listen.."
"No."
"Please..."
"Jack. I said no."
"Mr.Barakat, I know it's not really my place to speak and I'm overstepping multiple lines by talking right now but I need to say this. Your son is an amazing young man. He's smart, talented and a hell of a gentleman. I know you may not agree with or understand how someone can like another person of the same gender but that shouldn't really matter. I'm not trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't do but to me it seems a bit ridiculous to disown your son just because he likes guys. I love your son and he loves me back. No matter what you say or do, that feeling will always exist. Love is love, whether its between a guy and a girl, a guy and a guy, or a girl and a girl. Please just think about how being kicked out of his house and being disowned by his parents made him feel. When that happened, he showed up outside my front door with tears streaming down his face. Just because he came clean about his sexuality doesn't mean he completely changed as a person. He's still your son."
I looked at Alex and could tell he meant every single word and I was so glad I brought him with me. My mom was teary eyed and was about to lose it. My dad was surprisingly speechless. He was taken aback by the polite bluntness Alex had just came out with. He started to say something and then stopped. Then finally spoke.
"I guess Jack was right about you, Alex. You really are a good guy. Now, I don't agree with the fact that you're gay, Jack, but after that insight, I'll learn to move past it. After all you are my son and nothing can change that. You both are welcome in this household."
I didn't know what to say or do so I tried not to cry and hugged my dad.
"So do you boys want to go to lunch with us?"
"We'd be glad to."
And with that we went to lunch with my parents and acted like a normal family. Thanks to Alex I had my family back. We hung out at my place with my parents for the rest of the day until it was time to go to graduation. So much had happened this school year, it was insane to think it was coming to an end tonight. As we got there we all gathered into our seats and then the stands started filling up. My name was called first out of the five of us. Then Rian, Alex, Zack and finally Vinny. We all were shocked that we were officially done with high school. After all the blood, sweat and tears that went into it, we were done. Rian and Zack split off to go find their families as everyone flooded the field. Alex, Vinny and I all headed to the edge and found Alex's parents and mine. Vinny decided to split and find his family in the mess of people. My parents invited Alex and his parents to dinner with us and I don't think this night could've been any more fun. After that, we went to the movies and Alex and I left there before the movie was over and headed to Rian's since he was having a party. We both had one beer and stopped and watched as everyone else did stupid shit. It was the perfect ending to a good day. I was finally becoming happy again. I had my family back and my boyfriend. I couldn't ask for anything more. That was all I needed. That and my three best friends but they were there through everything. I passed out in Alex's arms and it was better that way. I was safe and happy and I was able to get a good nights sleep for once. Best. Day. Ever.