Status: Uh, up and coming.

Not Your Fault

I'm Not Okay, You Wear Me Out

Tea Montgomery rubbed her hands on her face in an attempt to wake herself up. She had woken up late that morning, and missed the bus for school. Her mother was already at work when she had made the mistake, so along with her younger brother, Jet, they decided it would be best just to wait it out.

If it was one thing their mother cared about, it was their grades and schoolwork. Their mother could care less if Tea had gotten pregnant, as long as she went to school.

“Mom is going to be pissed you didn’t wake me up.” Jet sang, a smirk coming up on his face.

Jet took joy in being the kid of the house. Since their older brother, Mikey, was at college, all the responsibilities of taking care of Jet went down to her. She had to make sure he ate and got to school on time. Some days Tea had to make dinner, if their mother had to work her second job as a bartender.

“Shut up, assbutt.” Tea smacked Jet upside the head. It was a little bit difficult, even though Tea was a junior in high school and her brother a freshman, Jet towered over her.

Jet rolled his eyes at his older sister. None of his friends believed him when he told them she was evil, when they tried to hit on her. Well, that was before the accident happened, anyways. No one dared talk to Tea anymore except a few of her old friends.

Saying the wrong thing around Tea could make her completely stop talking to you, it was like walking in a mime field blindfolded.

“I’m going to go to the store and get some Rice Krispies, we’re out.” Tea grabbed a jacket and slipped it over her pajamas, not bothering to change out. It wasn’t like she was trying to impress anyone, anyways.

Tea hopped on her bike, the dew on the handlebars pressing tightly against her palms. It was barely seven in the morning, and the sky was highlighted in pinks and yellows. There was a light breeze spraying Tea’s bangs against her forehead as she pedaled the distance to the local store. It added to the serene atmosphere that was Baltimore in the morning.

Locking her bike up in the bike rack, Tea shoved her hands in her pockets, keeping her head down. Someone was bound to tell their mother that Tea was alone, something that everyone was trying to keep from ever happening. Jet relied on Tea, but everyone relied on Jet to be with Tea at all times.

Tea hoped everyone was too brain dead in the morning, so they wouldn’t find it logical to call the diner her mother waitressed at, and report to her the lone Tea.
Hurrying through the fluorescent-lit supermarket, Tea rushed to the cracker aisle, knowing Jet would want Ritz Crackers.

She wasn’t alone, though. Leaning up against a shopping cart, with a confused and lost expression, was a guy about her age. He had floppy hair and big eyebrows, and looked just as tired as Tea felt.

“What the fuck is a low-fat Sea Salt cracker chips?” the guy muttered, loudly. Tea rolled her eyes, this guy was a little bit daft. The Special K box was directly in front of the guy.

Swiftly picking up the box and a box of Ritz crackers next to it, Tea approached the guy. “These are low-fat sea salt cracker chips.” She held the box out to the guy, who looked startled.

“Thanks sweetheart. My mom gave me a list and to be honest, if I didn’t know her, I would have thought she was making a bomb or something.” Tea raised an eyebrow at the pet name. This guy sure worked fast.

“Making a bomb with sea salt? Uhm, okay.” She laughed out.
He stuck his hand out. “I’m Alex.”

““Tea.” She nodded, ignoring his hand. “Well, bye.”

That was weird, Tea thought.

**

Alex found himself sitting in a plastic chair next to his mom, while the secretary was printing out his school schedule.

He felt odd wearing jeans, used to only wearing slacks and loafers to school. His mom was puttering off reassuring words that yet again, she only was saying to reassure herself. He just wanted to get the day over with and go back to sleep.

“You’re going to do great and make so many new friends. You have everything, right honey? You don’t need any pencils? Here are some pencils.” She stuck some in his pocket, looking like a nervous wreck.

“No, mom, I’m fine. I don’t need any more pencils.” Alex laughed, getting up and walking towards the secretary, who had his schedule outstretched in her hand and an annoyed expression on her face.

“Thanks.” Alex muttered, glancing at the schedule. He had AP English first period, and basic high school classes the rest: Algebra two, Biology 2, and World History.

It surprised him that he even got into AP in one class, he usually slacked off in everything. The good thing about his schedule was that he had two periods, then lunch. In in his old school, he had lunch at the end of the day, and it was hell.

“You’re going to be great. Make a lot of friends.” His mother patted his shoulder, looking like she was close to tears. It was like going to high school all over again.

“I’ll be fine, don’t pick me up, I can walk. I love you.” He waved at his mother, taking a deep breath when he was in the hallway.

The school was bigger than his old, and it looked like with more people. Kids were pushing and shoving in the halls, people congregating in groups in front of lockers. Alex decided it would be better if he found his locker later, when there weren’t so many people.

“GASKARTH!” A voice yelled, he looked up from his schedule, startled. How did someone already know his name?

A lanky boy approached him, a giant smile on his face. He came from one of the groups that was huddling around lockers.

“I’m Jack, your old man is friends with my old man. He told me to keep an eye on you and make you feel comfortable.” He stated, a grin leaking up into his features.

“Well, I guess you already know I’m Alex.”

“No shit, now come on. My friend Rian is sick today, so I am thanking you for not making me a complete loner.” Jack grabbed my elbow, and guided me through the hallway.

“Keep your head up, they can smell fear.” Jack squinted his eyes and stared down a group of lower classmen standing near another set of lockers.

Alex chuckled, knowing that this Jack guy was going to be his best friend.

***