Outsiders and Daydreamers

Energised

The more times I repeated the words in my head, the more questionable they became. The more disturbing they seemed. Was I going mad? Voices in my head clearly seemed like a sign of madness. So strange were those spoken words, that every sentence was a different emotion. They hung in the air, lingered in his voice. Frustration, desperation, and . . . something else. Sorrow? Hunger, maybe? I couldn't be sure. The boys voice was but a whisper.

I sat in deep thought throughout the rest of my classes. There seemed to be no reasonable explanation for the recent events, and if there was, it would've been like something off Supernatural.

"Adelaide? The answer?" My literature teacher snapped me out of my disturbia.

Giving me a look of disappointment, she adjusted the wide rimed glasses that sat in front of her near blind eyes - it's funny to think that a women of just twenty six, could have the sight of an old women.- I stared down at my text book, as though the answer might jump out at me.

"The Raven." Caelib whispered, from beside me.
"Oh. The Raven, miss." I said aloud, recollecting that we had just been discussing the works of Edger Ellen Poe.

She shook her head in disapproval at Caelib and I, then continued with the lesson. I gave him an appreciative smile, which he kindly returned.

I could honestly say that Caelib Anderson was one of the oh-so-rare guys that I could call my friends. He had every aspect of a great friend. Trust, loyalty, patients, honesty -and even good looks- He was the son of an old family friend, whom my dad had met in college. I'd known him my whole life. There were times when his extreme honesty would lead to the occasional slap, but after a while I found my self turning to Caelib for descent, reliable advise.

Yet again, Caelib slid me a note from under table, written in his iconic large print.
You wanna watch paranormal activity tomorrow?


I relied:
Sorry can't. Dads got something "planed", meaning "family time". And you know I can't stand horror movies >.<


After ready my reply he began to make quiet chicken noises. Asshole.

I said goodbye to the twins. Caelib and I began our "quest", as he called it. When we got bored, we would pretend to search for dragons or act like spy's to past the time it took to walk home. There was always benefits to living a few blocks away from your best friend. But it wasn't that way today. I formed a number of questions as to my sudden subconscious ability. And those words spoken to me. Like teasing children they would lead me along, before going into hiding once again.
Come and find us! Where over here. No, here . . .

"Are you even listening Adi?"
"What?" I replied.

Had I zoned out again? Sometimes I wondered how Caelib had put up with me for sixteen years. I had a bad habit of daydreaming. He probably thought he was being ignored all the time, the poor guy.

"Earth to Mackenzie, come in Mackenzie!" He spoke into his hand as though it was a walkie-talkie.
"Sorry Cae. I've just had a lot on my plate lately." I gave him an apologetic smile.
"Lay it on me" he nudged me with his fist.
"Just heaps of homework, Benji's going through a faze, parental drama. You know, the usual." I shrugged.

I could tell him about the incident yet. Could I? No, I decided it was to soon. And even I wasn't sure of it yet.

"And when has that ever stopped me from making you smile?"

That was entirely true. Most of my happiest moments were spent with Caelib, Hayley and Alexa. They were like a second family, that I couldn't do without. Caelib was like a clown of a brother, and the twins were my sisters.

"Here's my stop." He said to me, pulling me into a warm hug.
I was surprised.

A hug wasn't really unusual, but it wasn't often when I received one from him. Perhaps he could sense there was something on my mind. I much enjoyed being close to Caelib. He was very comforting, but his hugs were loose and casual. He gave me a squeeze before retreating around a corner. I suddenly felt guilty for not paying more attention to Caelib. But there was no use crying over spilt milk. I would simply make it up to him on Monday.

I had only walked a few feet from where we parted, before I felt as though I wasn't alone. It certainly wasn't Caelib- I knew the sound of all my friends footsteps like the back of my hand- someone else was there. I heard the faint sounds of familiar high heels treading along a fare way behind me. Then, a light breeze blew the scent of strongly scented perfume my way. I knew exactly who was following me.

"Have you ever heard of the term 'stalking'?" I said, halting to a stop. The steps slowed as they got closer. I swivelled and looked Monica dead in the eye.

"Hmm, you're fast for someone in the slow lane." She laughed. A few of her group members slowly emerged from behind trees and garbage bins along the street, that was slowly darkening by the light of the setting sun.

"The saying goes the other way around, stupid" I replied bitterly.
"Is that a blonde joke?" She pointed manicured finger right between my eyes.
"It's a fact." I said sweating her hand.

She lowered her eyebrows at me in disgust. It wasn't at all surprising. I often received that look from her and her followers- who were now gathering around me. There were at least six. All of which were dressed in frills and bright colours, and terrible amounts of makeup. And then there was me, dressed simply in jeans and shades of charcoal that I thought would look slimming. A colourless, dark target in the game they so often played.

"I want an answer. How'd you pull a stunt like that in gym class today?" Amongst the silence Monica's voice was like a megaphone.
"What? I only splashed you. A bit of pool water never hurt anybody." I said, feigning ignorance.
"Bullshit! I'm not blind, you little freak. You belong in a circus." She shoved me, hard.
"With all that clown makeup, you would know." I laughed.

I turned, ready to walk calmly away. I didn't need this, not now. I honestly didn't give a rats ass whether or not she knew. Monica couldn't do much worse to my already tacky reputation. But then, I felt hands knock me to the ground, and my head smacked against a lamp post.

All of the girls laughed at my expense, a howling pack of hyenas. Monica was hysterical. I kicked out my foot, and she stumbled backwards into the arms of a strangely small girl in red. The two of them tripped over there shiny new pumps. While a majority of the group help them to their feet, I latched onto the pole to help my self stand. A bolt of electricity shocked me. But for some reason it didn't hurt, just a buzz. I looked up, and the light at the very top flickered. When it stopped it glowed eerily in the slowly dimming light of day.

My felt dizzy. Dizzy, just like after gym class in the cafeteria. Oh god, not again. I lent against the pole, but again it shocked me. And again it didn't hurt.

"Your dead now, Mackenzie!" I could sense that Monica was storming towards me.

I suddenly felt much more capable of taking her on. If I just concentrated. I turned to face her. I saw the anger in her eyes- but of cause it could have been the lamp light- it looked like there were flares hidden behind them, going off and making her fill with burning madness. My fingers twitched, threatening to jump off my hands. I held up my hands to brace myself for impact.

"Leave. Me. ALONE!" And all of a sudden, the world seem to stop turning.

My entire body buzzed with adrenaline, made my heart race. I shielded my self with my hands, and grabbed her arms. I felt insanely revved up. Nothing could touch me. I closed my eyes and let my body overflow. I reached for her shoulders and . . .

The sound of shrieking tyres filled the air.
I opened my eyes. It wasn't tyres at all.

It was screaming.

Shear horrified screaming.

She and I.

She, was lying a few yards away. Spasming wildly on the cement, in a way that seemed as though she was shrivelling up into nothingness. Vocalising as violently as she was shaking.

I, was crouched in fear and above all things, pain. It burned inside me, the inferno that were electric pulses. I clutched my head, and arched my back in the terror of what just happened.

"OH MY GOD, MONICA!"
"What did she do to you!? Omg!"
There were to many voices yelling, and not one of them noticed me quivering in silent agony.

"CALL 911!"
"Stay away form Mackenzie! She's got a taser!"
"FREAK!"

"Make it STOP!" For a moment I couldn't recognise my own voice.
I violently shook my head. The voices had began to talk to me again.

You can't run from the truth Adelaide.
"Shut up, shut UP!"

I couldn't stand it any longer. I found my bag which had fallen beside me and staggered painfully to my feet. And without so much as a glance at Monica's crippled body, ran home as fast as my legs could take me, disappearing like a shadow in the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's coming along really slowly but trust me, it will get better.
Damn you HOMEWORK! Why must you waste my time!

Thanks xoxo