Zombie preparation and Defense

Surviving the fallout

The following section is related to the events that will occur directly after the zombie outbreak has been quelled, and will have basic tips on how to survive in a world devastated by a massive zombie invasion.

Living Conditions
Those should be very good. Or you did all that for no reason.
Survival Methods
Run
Run even faster
Run faster than that guy next to you
Trip the guy next to you
Don't let the spazzy woman try and get her dog back
Shoot people randomly
Drive to Alaska (Zombies will freeze into corpsicles, delicious AND nutritious!), but get there fast, the roads will be too congested and if you're too slow...It'll only be a tasty flesh bottleneck
Go out to sea (zombies can't swim, but its fun to see them try.Warning: Peanut Zombies know how to swim, so run)
Sacrifice Ms. Barbra, the old lady across the street (no one liked her anyways.)
Go find some beer (What...?)
Don't fall asleep in the open
If surrounded, just distract them with a classy dance (Warning: May cause: Zombification, Death, Death, and more Death.)
Always find the nearest gun and ammo Shop, and always trade at least a 10, 12, or 20 gauge shotguns, one hit kills
Notice that we said trade. Not even think about break into the shop, the shop keeper is always good with gun and you won't stand a chance. Hell, he's most likely be the boss in that area with several goons, each carries gun bigger than yours.

How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse

In this section there will be a few suggestions as to how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse.
The Zombie Apocalypse will occur when what is known as the Zombie Event Horizon is reached, in other words; when the number of zombies is greater than the number of the living, this event will most likely be caused by a severe Zombie Outbreak, originating from all the major outbreak causes simultaneously.

Please follow the following pieces of advice:
Stay away from zoos! We all know that when the zombie virus/curse/Oprah begins to spread, animals will be infected alongside their human counterparts. If you are a zookeeper when the infection spreads, you should sit down, think about how screwed you are, and then blast your brains out, not necessarily in that order.

Get a gun. If you can't figure out why a gun would be useful...or a shovel, then you should already be a zombie, or will be bitten soon since you are a moron. Try to get as much weapons/ammo at one time so that you don't have to go back and reloot. A good place is the ammo store, pawn shop, or your local S-Mart (unless of course the shop manager is off his "trolley").
Note it’s unlikely that you can loot gun shop, the shopkeepers are usually good with gun and unlike you, he has lot of reserve ammo. So trade some cans of food or your sister for a firearm should be better idea.

If you can't find a gun, raid your local National Guard Armory, visit the White House, or dig a hole in a ground to hide. If you actually managed to raid the armory and are still alive, get some RPGs, M60s, and a couple of tactical nukes.

More generally, learn to appreciate the good points of your new lifestyle. You may well have spent thirty years in a cubicle, building up rage against all of your fellow human beings...now you have a great excuse to shoot them! Sure, killing the already-dead doesn't produce the irreproducible pleasure of wasting a thinking, feeling, frightened human being, but it's moderately close...and besides, in all the chaos, a few living people are bound to accidentally get shot or bludgeoned or tied down in that storage shed and tortured for a few days. Or if that doesn't work, "S/He told me he got bit," usually will. I'm just saying.

Get a car. By getting a car, you can just plow over the zombies (unless you're too dumb to know how to drive). Zombies don't know how to drive, and you can use this to your advantage. It'll conserve ammo and kill far more zombies than any gun. Bear in mind that cars can easily get stuck if the zombie cloud is too thick (imagine trying to drive a car through a mound of snow that's trying to extract your brain). A good counter-measure is to carry a nail bomb at all times, so that you can detonate it and kill the hordes of zombies who clawing at your windows (bearing in mind that this tactic will most likely also kill you). If you forgot your nail bomb then just stay calm and sit quietly and contemplate how royally screwed you are. Also, if more than one person is in the car, make sure SOMEONE is paying attention to the surroundings, as zombies tend to jump into cars when the passengers get chatty. And always check the glove compartment for extra guns and ammo. At the very least, you might find some cash or embarrassing mail the owner of the car forgot to throw away.

Hospitals are very, very bad. Don't go to the hospital no matter how bad you need medicine, or if little Timmy had his appendix removed at the time. There will, of course, be dead people there; which means there will also be a lot of zombies. Nurses tend to be the first zombified and there is nothing sadder then checking out a hot nurse and she turns around and half her face is gone.

The local authorities are always screwed, so don't go to the local police station. You won't find anything there but a hell of a lot of zombies OR people. Any underground escape routes are usually blocked out by ridiculous puzzles and locks set up for "security". Ammo is also surprisingly scarce, as most of it will have been already been used, and any which can normally be found isn't compatible with the weapons available.

Graveyards are not cool. If you don't feel like being safe, do not try to enter this trap. If you really want to visit your dead family members, prepare for a mumbling monologue. It should go without saying that you will not find a proper topic with your great grandmother.

NEVER count on the military to come rescue your lazy ass because basically every single time the army is either unable to actually get to your position or are simply too lazy and can't be stuffed to help you...or if for some reason you are in a mall for three days at the time, the military will actually shoot you themselves. Yeah, creepy, I know.
Pray to your god that...

The zombies can't run or they aren't smart enough to use firearms. Zombies that can run are largely unpopular in the zombie fan community, so this is unlikely.

The military doesn't nuke your area. (Why rescue the survivors when you can simply carpet bomb the infected area? They're only civilians. Besides, Secret Services can cover up the civilian deaths. Tax money has to have a use, you know!)

During any zombie attack, you must never actually use the word "zombie", because it just sounds silly and ruins the tone of the situation. The term 'Undead' is preferred in this instance or another name if there is a rational explanation for the zombies' existence.

Keep your cool. Screaming at a zombie never does any good; it's the zombie equivalent of offering them a turkey leg.

Never bring really annoying people with you. They always get eaten by zombies, thus they will most likely attract them towards you (though it might not matter if you're a Leader or Leading Lady, as they rarely die from/turn into a zombie).

Never use up all your strength running. A zombie can walk about as fast as a three year old, so sit back and watch. Better yet, taunt them by moving along in slow motion. Have a little fun. But if your luck really is as bad as it seems, they will run like a kid in a candy store, only without the candy, and with an even stronger bloodlust powering their rampage. In this case, the best solution is a stern voice, a small amount of alcohol, and a regular bedtime.

If a small girl approaches you amidst such a crisis with her face down, mumbling incoherent rasping sounds, or with blood dripping from her pudgy rotting fingers, do NOT hug her! She is not an abused orphan and therefore does not need your love! And if she is, everyone else will wonder why you are hugging little girls, you sick freak.

If a zombie falls over, don't be a dumbass. They are trying to get you close to them so they can have a go at your leg. (Note: This situation is only harmless if the person in the situation is Chuck Norris. Chuck has fists for feet.)

Zombies never 'go away' by themselves. Even if it has gone quiet, this probably means they're really close to you and about to break through a nearby entrance.
If a friend gets bitten don't be sad and wait around and sulk, suck it up and be a man, shoot, don't talk.
REMEMBER: You NEVER have to outrun the zombies! You only have to outrun the guy next to you (tripping him/her helps)

Last Resorts

If you find yourself trapped in a corner by zombies, the best method of escape is to sacrifice your friends. While they are busy gorging on their brains, you can make a quick escape by walking past them at a relatively fast pace. This plan has one drawback, however. If your friends find you (and being zombies, they will), you can be assured that they will rip off your ankles and tie them to your face. But don't feel too bad about sacrificing them, they've probably thought of it as well.
Screw everyone else! Buy/build your own underground/high building/aquatic apocalypse bunker! (See above) Simply stock it with 10 years rations of canned chili, PowerAde, Gatorade, saltines, your favorite books, and your significant other! If you can stay sane during those ten years, you will emerge in a lush new world where you and your love will repopulate the earth.

If zombies are all around you and there is no escape, it is wise to have a grenade ready to at least dramatically take the undead bastards down with you. As an alternative you may take a lesson from terrorists and just strap 10 kilos of C4 to your doomed ass.

Talk to your family. This is really only necessary if they have something you need (or on an off chance you love them). First, convince them that the world is going to hell and fast. Then convince them that you have a plan that beats anything created by the police, the army or God, and that they should follow you. If all goes badly you can sacrifice them as explained in Last Resort one.
It is always good to be by someone who loves you, so flirt with the ugly chick and keep her nearby, then when the zombies are chasing you can trip her.
Applying Principles of battle

Despite that zombies cannot be intimidated; some principles of battle can be applied. Every soldier fresh out of basic knows “shoot, move, and communicate”, and these could be effectively applied against the living dead.

Shoot: Proper firearms training pre-invasion is vital. The right time to learn to shoot is not when the undead are snacking on your face. Handguns and melee weapons are excellent last resorts, but being capable of killing a zombie from 300 yards keeps you alive to fight another day.
Move: Remember, whatever doesn’t move id dead, at least pre animation. Staying in one place allows the enemy to mass and eventually overwhelm you. The classic zombie fiction cliché of boarding up a house will not work in the long run. A home base may be an option, if well fortified and hidden, but patrols must be maintained for reconnaissance as well as search and destroy missions, and a viable escape plan must be both standardized and rehearsed. In battle itself constant movement will keep Romero zombies at a comfortable distance, as well as potentionally providing debilitating crossfire on ragers. If with a team, however, discipline and coordination are vital to mitigate friendly fire, which leads to the last point…

Communicate: As stated, coordination is vital for effective fighting. Securing personal communication devices, establishing visual or verbal commands, and having a strong chain of command to initiate actions will all contribute to a survivable encounter with the undead. Of course long range passive and active communications to find fellow survivors would be a great boost to both long term survival and morale. A key point in all this is that to communicate, you have to have someone to communicate with. The wolf gunman is in no way viable except in extreme emergency, and even then the bulk of your efforts should be to find fellow humans. It will keep you sane, provide backup in battle, and a large enough group with diverse skills may be able to reestablish an economy to provide for job specialization and full time warriors, allowing the zombie apocalypse to be not only survivable, but livable.

Clear the room: There’s nothing worse than stepping into a room only to be set upon by a horde of brain-hungry zombies. A team of four armed shooters can easily clear a room if they all stand against the nearest wall: one body in each corner and two in the middle. This position proves optimal for quickly dispatching of a room full of the reanimated.

Never turn your back on the enemy: Shambling isn’t just for zombies. Three live humans, can stand with their backs together and carefully rotate through the room, ensuring that all eyes are facing outward and no one falls victim to a surprise attack.

The Fine Line: For those lucky enough to amass a relatively large army of live humans, the Fine Line is the best way to fend off roving zombie hordes. Simply form two lines of armed persons, one line in front of the other. Have the front line shoot while the back line holds. When the front line runs out of ammo, the back line steps in while the front line reloads. Tragically, the squad’s training zombie, Billy the hunter, died while the Squad demonstrated this technique.

Zombies are the least of your worries: It’s bad enough that you have to deal with the zombified masses, which are tireless, feel no pain, and greatly outnumber healthy human beings. But perhaps even more deadly are the humans who simply can’t cope with the new world order. Its best if you keep a psychologist on hand who can identify and subdue such individuals before they embark on a murderous rampage that makes the zombies look as ferocious as fluffy kittens.

Choose your weapons wisely: Not all weapons work for all people, and the trendiest zombie-fighting armaments aren’t always the best. When in doubt, melee weapons are a fine tool against the undead, but think twice before picking up that giant hammer. As satisfying as squishing zombie’s skull may be, swinging the hammer creates a sizable arc that gives zombies plenty of time to nibble at your armpits. I advise that you invest in a machete, which is cheap, lightweight, and neatly separates a zombies head from its body. As for ranged weapons, you may want to reconsider that sawn-off shotgun you’re so fond of. Bolt actions are both powerful and accurate, without the ammo restrictions of the close-range shotgun.

Windows are not your friend: Zombies have a nasty habit of crashing through glass windows, so it’s best to choose a hideout with as few ground level windows as possible. Steer clear of malls, coffee shops, and boutique outlets in favor of Costco, Sam’s club, or any other large warehouse. If you find yourself trapped in your house, it’s best to hightail it up to the attic, which the uncoordinated zombies will have trouble reaching, Basements, even windowless ones, spell trouble.
No Brains for Oil: If you’re traveling with a group, you may consider fleeing by minivan or SUV, but be warned that the gas mileage and rollover rates might be a literal killer. If you’re traveling alone, it’s best to take high miles per gallon vehicles, like a dirt bike, or, better yet, grab a bicycle and escape the zombies under your own replenishable power

Fight world war z with TNT: Using dynamite around the undead is a tricky proposition; the right amount of explosives can blow them to bits, but you might get cremated yourself. It’s better to stave off those desiccated corpses with a controlled burn, make sure it’s a fire you can contain. A raging wildfire could prove far more deadly than the zombies themselves.

Animals: Friend or foe? Animals can be invaluable allies at the end of the world, If the zombie plague is viral, it can infect any living cells, causing even the most inhuman animals to exhibit flesh-craving symptoms (so far I have heard the opposite, in fact alls the virus seems to do to animals is kill them, but we don’t know for sure), let me ask you a question: Would you rather fight off a human zombie-or a Zombie lion?

Suit up: Perhaps the best way to prepare for the day the dead rise from their graves is to assemble the perfect zombie-fighting attire. Avoid brain-spray back by wearing goggles and covering your face with a non-porous material. Use plate mail or leather to create a bite-proof body suit. Kevlar gloves (provided to some food industry workers) can be worn as is or refashioned into impenetrable sleeves, allowing you to fend off zombie bites by holding up your forearms. Riot shields also add an extra layer of protection and make the zombie head squishing that much easier.