Zombie preparation and Defense

Shelter

Constructing a Zombie-Proof Shelter

A Zombie-Proof Shelter, or Zombie Shelter (ZS) is similar to a Bomb-Proof Shelter in that it is designed to give its residents protection against the outside world and syphilis. While Bomb Shelter’s work on the principle of W=Nb+Nd (Walls = No Bomb + No Death) Zombie Shelter’s work on a slightly different method, that method being W+N+F=Nu+Nd(Wall + Napalm + Fire = No Undead = No Death, that is if you are far enough from the napalm. Good luck with that in a small ZS).
Shelter Types

The basic ZS is a small 5m x 5m x 5m cube constructed of pure unadulterated WIN, reinforced by a solid 10m deep foundation made out of a single piece of diamond. The cube is surrounded by a lake of napalm that, when required, can be lit on fire to prevent the legions of the damned from eating your brain. Other shelters range from the massive zombie-proof mansions of southern Switzerland to the Neverland Ranch theme park created by legendary Zombie Hunter Ozzy Osbourne. Whatever your budget, there is always an affordable and effective Zombie-Proof Shelter available.
Shelter Construction

This guide will focus on the method of Zombie-Proof Shelter construction. If all the steps are followed, a shelter with a high level of Zombie-Repulsion and Disattraction should be easily attained. Before the exact steps are discussed, a list of required materials will be given:

Materials
6 sheets of high quality titanium, at least 40cm thick and 5m x 5m in dimension.
3 sheets of diamond, 50cm x 50cm in dimension and 10cm thick.
1 bulkhead door, made out of titanium.
1 10m x 10m x 10m cube of solid diamond.
1000+ liters of napalm.
8 LED (Life Emitting Diode) Flood Lights.
Cement.
Titanium mesh.
Duct Tape
Steps

Dig a large hole in the ground, approximately 11m deep by 11m wide.
Place your diamond cube in the hole, filling the gaps around the side with high quality cement and strong titanium mesh.

Rivet one of the titanium sheets down to the center of the diamond cube; this will act as the floor.
Take 4 of the remaining titanium sheets; with 3 of them you need to install the sheets of diamond, which will act as windows. In the 4th, you will need to install the bulkhead.
Attach the 4 titanium sheets mentioned above to the floor; they will act as walls.
To the one remaining sheet, attach the flamethrower turret.

Attach the remaining sheet to the top of the shelter; it will act as a roof.
Attach the LED Flood Lights to the four corners of the roof; they will act as a deterrent to any zombie that survives the moat of fire.

Dig out a deep trench surrounding your impenetrable zombie cube and fill it with the napalm; if you need more napalm, now would be the time to acquire it.
It is recommended that you stock your ZS with all the requirements, such as food, water and a large flat screen TV, with cable. As your stay can be long, it is suggested that large amounts of these items be stockpiled.

Closing

Those are the basic steps on how to create a single person ZS, for each additional person add double the materials. If you do not wish to create your own shelter, it is possible to purchase one from your local Sanitarium, or order one online from one of many retailers.
First things first, in the Zombie Apocalypse, you’re going to want to evacuate highly populated areas like large cities. Cities themselves will be a bigger nightmare than the undead. Between the sheer number of zombies and competitive scavengers you’ll be lucky to make it out of highly populated areas with your life.

A better option would be rural areas, try to make your way by vehicle or on foot to a smaller town nearby. The more out in the country it is—the better. Not only will you be far less likely to encounter zombies, but raiders/looters as well. During the zombie apocalypse, you’ll find the undead to be a formative danger, but an even bigger threat to your safety could be fellow survivors. If the area you chose to make camp is flattened out a bit, you’ll be able to see across the land and detect any zombies or outsiders approaching from a distance. This way, you can either send out a party to intercept/receive them or prepare for their arrival. An abandoned house in a grassy area or out in the sticks would be an ideal location. Or you can make camp and see about possibly using local resources to build your own shelter. (Not recommended, but it is a very exhausting option.)

Live near hills or mountains? Scout out that area. Not only are you relatively higher than the surrounding area, but rough terrain is a good thing. It will take on comers more time and energy to make it up to you. This could give you a window of time to prepare in the event of an attack.

If you come across an occupied residence, proceed with caution. You have no idea who or what may be lurking inside. There might be people terrified of outsiders that could try to turn you away. Negotiating skills will come in handy here. See if they may be willing to start a settlement and let them know what skills you and your crew bring to the table. If all else fails, ask if you can at least make camp for the night. If you find that they want nothing to do with you, it might be time to move on and keep looking.

Once you set up a base camp or secure a shelter, the next step is to secure the perimeter. Your best defense is a sky nest. Something that is relatively high with a 360 degree view. A rooftop or a tall, sturdy tree could serve as your sky nest, lending a view of approaching dangers. A perimeter fence is also something that should be on the forefront of your mind. While not impenetrable, it will offer your crew a sense of security and a small time cushion, should enemies make it all the way to the fence line. You can tie noisy things to the fence to serve as your alarm. Use whatever is handy, aluminum cans or plastic bottles, dried out tree limbs, or branches with dead leaves on them. The cans will clank, bottles will crumble, limbs will snap and the leaves will crunch when stepped on—and that could be your very-low tech alarm system.

In addition to your defensive needs, fresh water is key. Where ever you do decide to settle in, be sure that you are near a creek, stream or water well. (As long as it’s not contaminated)

Divide your camp into sections, sanitation, galley, weapons & security, common areas, and private areas. The people in your group can be assigned to areas or be on a rotation, depending on your numbers and skill levels. Try to make it feel as normal as possible. Once you find a base camp that you are planning on staying in, keep up the work on increasing security.

Remember that no base camp in entirely impenetrable from outsiders or zombies, be sure to have an escape plan in place—just in case.

I personally don’t feel like a shelter is a good idea in the first place, this is just what I recommend if you absolutely have to set up camp, example of why it’s not a good idea to stay in one place: when your lost in a forest what do people always tell you? They say to stay put because it makes you easier to find, since zombies have really good senses and don rely on their eyesight, they will find you, maybe not for a few years but they will find you eventually, which is why I recommend staying on the run, get a couple friends and some vans(make sure to armor them up with Bulkheads on the front and at least some razor wires on the side, and keep moving through town after town( try not to go into heavily populated areas) and collect supplies and just generally surviving.