Status: Finally a chaptered fic

About a Boy

Chapter Thirteen

To: Kellin <3
You are invited to Katelynne’s eighteenth birthday party on Saturday the 18th of January…
Kellin sighed and stopped reading the invitation. He looked up at his friends, who were already talking excitedly about being invited seeing as Katelynne was one of the more popular girls of St. Martin’s. He didn’t really get it, because he and his friends weren’t exactly the most popular, they kept to themselves mostly. Josh, Max and that group were probably the most popular in their year.
“Are you guys going?” Kellin asked halfheartedly, glancing up at his friends again from his seat in their form room, Monday morning.
“Well, yeah.” Jesse said. “And you are too.”
“I’m not exactly close to Katelynne…”
“Neither are we. You’re the only reason we even got invited to this thing. You have to come. Look, you can bring someone, it says at the bottom. Bring Vic.” Jesse suggested, shoving the card into his bag with a small grin.
“I dunno, Jesse…” He kind of wanted to avoid Katelynne more than anything else.
“Just ask him.” The ginger boy ordered, turning away before Kellin could continue to protest. Kellin sighed and watched the door, jumping every time another student walked in as he waited for Vic to come in.
After maybe fifteen minutes of waiting for the small boy, he finally walked in, and Kellin leapt up excitedly, running to the door and tackling him in a tight hug before he could even step into the classroom.
“Hi, Kellin,” Vic laughed and hugged Kellin back for a moment. When they pulled apart, Vic looked at him curiously for a second, then shrugging and walking to his desk. Kellin followed him, bouncing on the balls of his feet as he stood next to the boy.
“So, Vic…” Kellin started. He almost hoped Vic would say no, so they could spend that night together instead at one of their houses.
“Yeah?” Vic looked at him in anticipation. “What’s the matter, Kellin?”
“Erm, so I got invited to this party…” He started.
“Okay…” Vic raised an eyebrow. “Are you going?”
“Yeah, I think so.”
“What does that have to do with me?” Vic asked bluntly.
“So I was wondering if you’d come with me… Apparently we’re allowed a plus one or whatever-“
“There’s a guest list?” Vic snorted slightly and put his history textbook into his bag.
“I guess so.” Kellin shrugged. He didn’t know the girl very well, or at all really, but a guest list seemed like a very Katelynne thing to do. “I won’t go if you don’t…”
“Aw, don’t say that Kells. I’ll ask my parents about it, okay?” Vic smiled and squeezed Kellin’s shoulder gently, apparently under the impression that Kellin wanted to go. Maybe his parents would say no instead.
____
“What did they say?” Kellin asked when Vic entered their form room the next morning. Vic offered him a slightly blank look and approached Kellin’s desk.
“They said yes.” He answered.
“Oh?”
“They want me to go out. They said I’m too antisocial, and they’re glad that you’re so social, so you can make me go out and stuff. I’m not antisocial.” Vic frowned. “You know, my mum confiscated my iPod.” He said, looking sad.
“You’ve got headphones in now.” Kellin pointed out with a short laugh, tugging the one Vic still had in out of his ear as proof.
“I had to put music on my phone. She said I wasn’t interacting with the family enough.”
“When did you have them in?” Kellin asked, feeling sorry for his boyfriend, but sort of agreeing with Vic’s mum. Not that he was any better. But still.
“On my way to dinner. It’s not like I was going to listen to music at the table! But then she was just like ‘that’s it Victor Vincent! I’ve had enough of seeing you with these headphones in, give me your iPod!’ And my dad just sat there!” He added indignantly. “So I synced my entire library to my phone, so now it’s being really slow, but whatever. So I’m coming to this party with you. “
“It’ll be fun.” Kellin insisted, pulling Vic down so he was half sitting on Kellin’s chair, half sitting on his lap. “I promise.” He said, not quite believing it himself.
“Right.” Vic said dryly, clearly not believing Kellin.
____
It turned out that Katelynne did have a guest list. Her older brother and two of his friends stood outside the door of the house and ticked people’s names off the sheets of paper, then allowing them to wait in the hall for Katelynne to approach.
“Kellin!” She exclaimed, pulling him into a tight hug. Kellin gingerly put his arms around her middle, careful to avoid any skin (which was difficult when she was wearing such a revealing dress) and let them drop almost immediately after. He then handed her the present that Heather had picked out, which she accepted with a large grin.
“Thank you so much!” She squealed, kissing him on the cheek. Then she noticed Vic. “Sorry, I don’t know your name.”
“I’m Vic.” He muttered, briefly making eye contact with her.
“Hi, Vic! Thanks for coming!” Katelynne leaned forward and pulled Vic into a swift hug as well, which he less than eagerly returned.
Katelynne led the two boys into the living room, where most of the guests where dancing in the dark room, and almost immediately lost them in the crowd. There was faint light coming some unknown source, and the couple had to push their way through grinding, sweaty bodies in an attempt to actually find some space.
“Kells! Vic! Hi!” Jesse shouted over Rihanna blaring from some over head speakers, a crooked, dazed smile on his face as he pulled the two into a hug.
“Hey, Jesse…” Kellin pried his already tipsy friend off him and his boyfriend, directing the other teenager in the other direction. There was a group of older men (probably in college) standing in one dim corner of the room, all with long, black hair and wearing a lot of eye make up.
“They aren’t our age, are they?” Vic asked over ‘Born This Way’.
“Definitely in college. They’re probably starting some band. What they seem to be forgetting, is that they’re at an eighteen year old high school girl’s birthday party.” Kellin snorted and Vic laughed, tightening his hand on Kellin’s forearm.
Kellin continued to lead Vic, who gladly clung to the dark haired boy, around the room eventually settling in one corner of the kitchen where there were slightly fewer people, and those who were there were all drunk and still swigging from the bottles of beer sitting in coolers around the room.
“Are you okay?” Kellin muttered into Vic’s ear, the other boy looking uncomfortable.
“I knew I wouldn’t… Never mind,” Vic shook his head and turned away, folding into himself further.
“What? Not enjoying yourself?” Kellin asked knowingly. Vic was never going to enjoy a party like this, or any party really, because the boy was one to try and avoid as much social interaction as possible. It wasn’t as though Kellin minded: he hadn’t particularly wanted to go to Katelynne’s party anyway.
Vic shrugged. “I guess not… But we’ve only been here for like, ten minutes. I suppose I need to give it more time.”
“We can leave.” Kellin offered. “I don’t mind.”
“No! Kellin, don’t do that. I mean, you wanted to come-“
“I really didn’t, Vic.” He interrupted. “I only came because Jesse and the others wanted me to. We can leave if you want. It would probably be best to before the smell of weed stays on your clothes.”
Vic laughed and nodded. “You’re sure you don’t want to be here though?”
“Yes.” Kellin groaned playfully. “I don’t even like Katelynne.”
“She seems kind of annoying.” Vic agreed. Kellin decided against mentioning her apparent crush on him, for obvious reasons.
“I think I’m gonna find a bathroom quickly…” Vic muttered. Kellin nodded and, for the first time that day actually, kissed Vic, albeit swiftly.
He leaned by himself against a wall next to the fridge and sighed to himself. Mrs. Fuentes had practically begged Kellin to keep Vic out for as long as possible, not really giving them a curfew, but Vic, knowing his mother, knew she would start to worry after a certain amount of time. Even so, they would still have plenty of time until he had to get Vic home, which meant that they could finally make out for a bit. Something that Kellin had been longing for more or less the whole day.
“Hey, Kellin,” a voice drew Kellin out of his reverie, and he audibly grumbled at the sight of Katelynne. The slightly older girl, however, was too drunk to detect Kellin’s attitude towards her.
“Hi.” He said stiffly, willing Vic to hurry up so they could leave.
“Where’s your friend?” She asked.
“Bathroom.” Kellin answered shortly.
“Cool.” Katelynne looked up through her eyelashes, which looked slightly like spider’s legs because of all the mascara on them, at him for a moment. “Wanna dance?” She asked casually, jerking her head back to the living room with a somewhat seductive look in her eye.
“No thanks.”
“Come on, Kells!” She pouted. “Come on…” She ran a hand up his arm and looked into his eyes, her own gleaming. Kellin shifted further back into the wall and tugged his arm out of her grasp. He looked over her head in hope of seeing Vic.
“Kellin?” Kellin snapped his head down to see Katelynne looking a little peeved but still determined.
“Look, Katelynne…” He started. “I don’t like you, okay?” He stated harshly.
“You haven’t gotten the chanced to get to like me.” She argued. Kellin sighed and grimaced as Katelynne placed a hand on his bicep. That was quickly replaced with a relieved smile when he saw Vic coming towards him.
Vic looked slightly confusedly at Katelynne and Kellin, but before he could even open his mouth Kellin had tugged him towards him and planted his lips forcefully onto Vic’s. They stayed that way for a short time, Kellin smiling triumphantly when he felt Katelynne lift her hand from his arm, and when they pulled away, Kellin didn’t notice Vic’s frown.
“Goodbye, Katelynne. Happy birthday.” And with those departing words, Kellin dragged Vic away from Katelynne, whose jaw was hanging slightly, and out of the house. Vic was silent as they walked down the road and got into Kellin’s car, but when he started the engine Kellin noticed that something seemed a little… Off.
“Are you alright?” He asked Vic.
“What was that?” The shorter boy demanded.
“What?”
“Why did you just kiss me like that? Like, right in front of her? She was practically in the middle!” Vic exclaimed, annoyance clearly written on his face.
“I… Oh, right.” Kellin nodded.
“Yeah.” Was all Vic said.
“Look, I just… I had to kiss you because she was, like, totally flirting with me. I had to get her to back off.” Kellin admitted, watching for Vic’s reaction.
“She was flirting with you?” He looked skeptical for a minute, before slouching in his seat and nodding. “Okay.”
“Okay? Are you still annoyed?”
“Well. I’m not annoyed at you so much as I am at her, now.” He clarified, causing Kellin to grin.
“Aw, is Vic jealous?” He smirked as he mocked his boyfriend and leaned forward to peck him on the cheek.
“Shut up.” Vic muttered, crossing his arms and looking out of the window.
“You know I only love you?” Kellin offered. Vic stared out of the window before sighing and nodding his head.
“Of course I do.” He turned around to see Kellin, who immediately leant forward again to connect their lips.
“We’re gonna go back to my place for a bit. It’s difficult to make out in the front seats of a car.” Kellin started to back out of the parking space he was in while Vic laughed.
“We could always do it in the back seat.” He murmured.
“We could…” Kellin raised his eyebrows, eyes still glued on the road, heart swelling as he heard Vic laugh again.
“Idiot.” He said fondly.
“Your idiot.” Kellin corrected softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter! I'm not sure when I'll be able to update next, I have a chemistry mock on Tuesday :(
Also, I think I might be wrapping this up. I've got another couple of chapters planned, but I might stretch it out a bit more for you guys. :D