Status: Finally a chaptered fic

About a Boy

Chapter Seven

Kellin tied the thin, black tie his mother had insisted he wear to the formal and sighed. It was bad enough he had to go, but now he had to dress as though he wanted to be there. His mother had been… Disappointed that he hadn’t found a boy to take, but was still adamant that he go and ‘have fun’. So he pulled on a pair of black Converses and shrugged on his blazer before pocketing his iPod and phone and moving to leave the house. He waved to his mother and sister, who were watching television, and walked to his car.
Kellin drove the fifteen minutes it took him to get to school and ended up parking on the next street across, the car park full of other students’ cars. He was only half an hour late, and knew that Jesse, Gabe, Jack and Justin would be waiting outside for him. He waltzed to the school and grinned when he saw his friends. Justin had Tay clutching onto his arm (and looked happy as she did so) Jesse was standing with a bored looking Jenna and Gabe and Jack had decided to go alone with him.
“Hey, guys.” Kellin greeted, handing his ticket to Mr. Kowalewicz, who then stamped his hand and gestured for the group to go into the hall. Kellin followed his friends in, and grinned when he heard the sound of Vic singing on the stage. He looked up to see the boy holding a school electric guitar, Tony, Jaime and a boy named Rian Dawson behind him. Kellin listened intently and recognized the lyrics to ‘The Balcony Scene’. Kellin simply stood near the door and watched Vic for a few minutes until Jack came back and elbowed him in the ribs.
“Kellin.” He said seriously, dragging the slightly dazed boy to where the large group were sitting.
“Hi, Kellin,” a voice said from beside him. Kellin turned sharply in his seat to come face to face with an, admittedly pretty, make up caked girl. Her hair was tied into a tight bun at the back of her head, and she wore a low cut, floor length black dress.
“Um… Hi?” Kellin responded.
“It’s me! Katelynne!” She laughed and gently swatted his arm. He laughed back, unsure what was amusing, and turned around so he was facing Vic onstage again. He now held an electro-acoustic, and was playing alone. “Kellin,” Katelynne waved a hand in front of his face. Kellin slowly turned around again and sarcastically smiled at her. She seemed either not to detect that, or chose to ignore it. “Who did you come with?”
Oh shit. He remembered telling Justin to tell her that he was going with someone else. “Erm… She stood me up.” He lied easily, shrugging.
“Rude! Who was it?” She persisted.
“Erm… It doesn’t matter. She’s not here.”
“Hmm… Who isn’t here?” She began to peer around the room in hope of realising who was missing. “I know Hayley didn’t end up coming… Something about her and Jeremy breaking up… Did you ask her?” Katelynne asked excitedly.
“No. Why do you even care?” Kellin questioned snidely.
“Maybe we can sort of… Dance together and stuff?” She suggested, unfazed by Kellin’s tone.
“I don’t dance.” Kellin responded.
“Aw come on Kells,” she prodded. Kellin cringed at her use of his nickname and turned away once again, seeing Vic gently step off stage, handing the guitar to Alex Gaskarth as he did so. He watched Vic walk to his table, and grinned as he tenderly stroked the back of his head when he passed him.
“Hi guys!” Alex called from the stage. He, Jack Barakat, Rian Dawson and Zack Merrick were on the stage, overtaking from Vic, Tony and Jaime. “We are All Time Low, and the first song we’ll be doing for you is ‘Lost In Stereo’!”
“Alright Gaskarth, you’re not at a concert or anything.” Dr. Stump pointed out.
Kellin sat in his seat boredly, ignoring Katelynne’s attempts to get him to dance with her, and instead looking around the room. He watched as Jesse and Gabe poured a bottle of some sort of alcohol into one of the punch bowls, watched as couples danced together in front of the stage and smiled as Dr. Stump and Mr. Wentz talked in a corner. But when he saw one of the paper snowflakes they had to make hanging from the ceiling, it struck him that it was nearly Christmas. As in, it was four days away. And he hadn’t gotten anything for anyone. Kellin sighed and leaned back in his chair. His friends would be content with a text saying ‘Merry Christmas’ on Christmas morning, and his family had grown not to expect anything from him. Vic however… He had no idea what to get him. He knew Vic well enough, but he seemed to have everything that he’d want or need… Kellin ran a hand through his hair and pulled his phone out of his pocket, looking at the time. How was it only ten? He took one last look around the room and stood up, brushing down his trousers and preparing himself to leave.
“Kellin?” Katelynne called his name, standing up so they were at eye level again and giving him a concerned look.
“I’m gonna head home.” He answered, walking away from her. He waved to Vic, who gave him a curious look, and continued to leave the dance. His friends also waved to him, already starting to get a bit drunk, and he strolled out of the room completely, into the December cold and then to his car.
Kellin turned on the heater in his car and shivered. He hadn’t really noticed how close they were to Christmas. He had no idea what he was going to get Vic. Were they even getting each other presents? When would he give him the gift? But then, Kellin decided that it didn’t matter because he cared about Vic too much to not give him anything. So, as he drove home, Kellin pondered over gift ideas, quickly dismissing all the ideas he had so he was left with nothing. He parked in the driveway and quickly entered the now quiet house. Kellin went into his dark bedroom and flopped onto his bed. He needed to get a present. Soon. He untied his tie and tossed it across the room, freezing when he heard a sound outside his bedroom. He raised an eyebrow when the door was opened and he saw Heather standing at the doorframe, a fluffy, white dressing gown on.
“How was your disco thing?” She asked, stepping into the room and joining her brother on the bed.
“Boring.” He replied simply, turning over so he was facing her. She looked younger when she was going to bed, not wearing any makeup, with her hair tied back. He preferred her this way.
“They always are.” She said knowledgeably.
“What would you want from a boyfriend for Christmas?” He asked suddenly. Sure, she would laugh at him for a bit, but she was probably his best shot at figuring out a present for Vic.
“Do you have a boyfriend?” She asked eagerly. Kellin blushed and flipped over again so he was lying on his stomach, chin perched in his hands. “Do you?” Kellin sighed and nodded resignedly. Heather laughed quietly and clapped her hands. “Who is it?”
“Not telling.”
“Is it Vic? He’s gay, right?” How did she even do that? Kellin sighed once again and nodded. “Knew it. Anyway, you want to get him a present?”
“Yeah. But I don’t know what to get him.”
“Well, my boyfriend-“
“Which boyfriend?” Kellin interrupted. “When did you get a boyfriend? Why do you have a boyfriend?” He glared up at her when she laughed again.
“My boyfriend would get me something he knows I like.” She clarified. “What does he like? Music?”
“He has all the music he wants. It needs to special, you know? He means a lot to me.” He might as well have just sprouted a pair of boobs he was acting so much like a girl.
“I dunno. Get him, like, a bracelet, or some dog tags?” Heather suggested, clearly getting bored of the conversation as she started fiddling with her nails.
“Dog tags could be cool…” He murmured.
“And you could, I dunno, get it engraved and stuff.” Heather shrugged and stood up, stretching and making her way back to the door. “See you tomorrow.”
“Good night, Heath,” Kellin replied to his sister, watching her leave and close the door. He would buy the present tomorrow, he decide, peeling off his clothes and clambering into bed in a vest and his boxers, letting sleep quickly overcome him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta da! I had fun writing this chapter, and I introduced Katelynne!
On a completely unrelated note, yesterday in Kerrang!Vic did the Rockstar Test, which was awesome. He got 72% :)