Status: Finally a chaptered fic

About a Boy

Chapter Nine

Kellin shakily called Vic’s number. After two rings, it was answered, and Kellin could clearly hear the sounds of a bustling hospital in the background.
“Kellin?” He heard a voice ask.
“Yeah. What’s wrong with Vic? Why’s he in hospital? Who is this?” He added.
“I’m Mike, his brother. And we don’t know what happened yet, but I went into his room this morning and he had, like, collapsed and I couldn’t wake him up…” Mike answered. He sounded as though he had been crying.
“I… Where is he? And is he going to be alright?” Kellin demanded, fear bubbling in his stomach.
“San Diego State Hospital. And they think so. There isn’t any internal damage, they don’t think. Are you coming?”
“Yeah, I am.” Kellin decided. “See you.” Kellin leapt up and started to get dressed, throwing on a shirt and an old pair of jeans as well as his Vans and bounding downstairs, picking up a hoodie as he did so and putting Vic’s present into his pocket as a last minute decision. He knocked on the door of his parents’ room, willing his mother to hurry up as she started to shuffle around in the room.
“Kellin?”
“I need to go to the hospital. Vic’s hurt.’ He said hurriedly.
“Vic?” She asked tiredly, rubbing her eyes and running a hand through her messy, dark hair.
“The one that sang that solo ages ago. Mum, I need to go.”
“Of course, sweetie. I’m sure he’ll be alright, just tell me which hospital you’re going to and I’ll meet you there.”
“San Diego State.” With that, Kellin hurried downstairs and out of the door, getting into his car and starting the vehicle. He drove like a madman, desperate to see the other boy and make sure that he was alright. Kellin was already fearing the worst, half expecting to get to the hospital and see the Fuentes family crying in each other’s arms because Vic had died. Or maybe Vic had amnesia, and he wouldn’t remember dating Kellin… Or even worse, who he was. Kellin was so caught up in his own trepidation that he didn’t see the red light, or the cars starting to race across the road. Only a large beep drew him out of his reverie, and he hastily sped across the road, knowing he was getting a ticket but not caring as he continued his way to the hospital.
Another ten minutes and Kellin had finally arrived at the hospital. The sight of the sterile, white building, the ambulances sitting outside and the old women in wheelchairs sitting outside to smoke made his feel sick. But he took in a deep breath and pushed the door open, walking up to the front desk and trying to stop himself from crying.
“Um… Can you tell me where Victor Fuentes is staying?” He asked hopefully. The young man looked up at him with a stern look on his face, perfectly quaffed hair unmoving as he shook his head.
“No. You need to go over there.” He gestured to the desk a few feet away, with a long, slow moving queue in front of it.
“Alright then.” He started to walk away, only to be stopped by someone calling his name. “Kellin!”
Kellin spun around to see a tall kid waving to him. He recognized him, from seeing him walking around the school with the other sophomores and had seen him talking to Vic occasionally.
“Mike?” He said once he was close enough.
“Come on,” he said simply, leading the older boy upstairs and outside Vic’s room. In the Emergency Room.
“We aren’t allowed in.” Mike explained because Kellin had tried to open the door to find it locked.
“Why not?” Kellin asked fearfully.
“A doctor’s doing some stuff on him at the moment.” He pointed through the small window on the door, where a doctor was hovering over Vic’s unmoving body.
“What happened to him?” Kellin turned to face Mike, who was already taller than him despite having just turned sixteen.
“I don’t know exactly. I think he might have just hit his head really badly. I heard a loud thump and like, Vic swore under his breath so I rushed in and found him lying on the floor. And there was this massive welt on his head.”
“Oh my God…” Kellin whispered, heart pounding in his chest.
“It’s not as bad as I thought though, so don’t worry.” Mike assured him with a small smile.
“What do you mean ‘don’t worry’?” Kellin hissed. “Of course I’m going to worry he hasn’t woken up yet!”
“The doctor said he should wake up soon. I kind of freaked out when I couldn’t see him breathing, but he was just shocked from the fall or something, apparently everything’s normal. I don’t know, I was just worried.”
Kellin nodded in acceptance. “I found out about you guys, by the way.”
“What?” Kellin snapped his head up to meet Mike’s gaze. The boy had almost managed to smile once again when he saw Kellin’s face.
“I mean… He was so depressing when you guys were fighting, and then you were in his room at like midnight, and then he was so happy again so I just guessed, and he didn’t deny it.” Mike shrugged and Kellin shook his head.
“Alright…” At that point, the doctor in Vic’s room came out with a large smile on his face.
“Mr. Fuentes has woken up.”
“Are you serious!” Mike yelled, peering into the room with a grin and laughing when he saw Vic looking slightly dazed but definitely awake.
‘Can we see him?” Kellin demanded.
“Yes. Who are you?” The doctor asked with a raised eyebrow.
“A friend.” Kellin responded hastily, following Mike who was hurrying into the room.
“Vic!” Mike yelled, falling to the floor so his face was level with his brother’s.
“Hey, Mikey. What happened?” Vic whispered.
You, like, passed out. Do you not remember?” Mike asked.
“No… I- Kellin!” He exclaimed happily, grinning as Kellin stepped out of the corner he was standing in.
“Hey.” Kellin cautiously approached the bed and kneeled down next to Vic, a small smile playing on his lips.
“What are you doing here?” Vic continued.
“Mike texted me.” He answered.
“Oh yeah, he found out.” Vic said.
“Yeah, I know. I don’t really care right now. Are you alright?” Kellin prodded in concern.
“Yeah. My head kind of aches, but I’m okay.” Vic smiled and Kellin leaned forward to gently press their lips together.
“I’ll go get mum and dad.” Mike announced, causing the couple to pull apart and rushing out of the room.
“I… I, er, brought your Christmas present…” Kellin said shyly. Vic’s eyes lit up as Kellin drew the carefully wrapped present out of his hoodie pocket.
“Yours is at home,” Vic said quietly, taking the small box Kellin was offering him.
“Don’t, like… Call me sweet or anything.” He begged as Vic gently tore off the wrapping paper. The Mexican shook his head and pulled open the box, gasping slightly when he saw what was hidden in it.
“Kellin…” Tears began to pool in his eyes when he read the inscription on the tags. “Are these your lyrics?”
“Yeah,” Kellin smiled. That was… Sort of the reaction he wanted. “Don’t cry!”
“But… Look…” Vic dried his eyes and gestured for Kellin to hook the chain around his neck, then mildly fingering the tags as they fell onto his chest. “I love it.” He finished quietly.
“I love you.” Kellin said unthinkingly. He froze as Vic looked at him with wide eyes, even though it was true. He’d fallen in love with Vic, and they’d known each other for two months.
“I love you too.” Vic admitted softly, pulling Kellin towards him to connect their lips once again. And this time, Kellin cried too, and the two boys just sat in each other’s arms for a few minutes.
“Vic?” The two boys pulled apart when Vic’s family rushed into the room, his mother’s cheeks stained with her tears. She rushed to her son’s other side, instantly stroking her eldest son’s hair. “How do you feel, sweetie? Are you alright- hello, Kellin dear.” She added, not allowing her son to answer.
“Are you okay, son?” Vic’s father asked simply. He smiled when Vic nodded, then turning to look at Kellin. “Kellin?”
“Erm, yes,” Kellin answered quietly. Mr. Fuentes offered Kellin his hand, and the teenager gingerly shook it, feeling the need to impress Vic’s father.
“Alright, alright. I’m afraid I’m going to need you to leave for a bit. I’m going to need to run some tests on Victor, but he- I’m sorry you- should be able to leave today and enjoy the rest of Christmas.” The doctor declared from behind them. Kellin had forgotten it was Christmas, even though he had given Vic his present. Several more important things had just happened. He let himself be ushered out of the room with the rest of the Fuentes family and checked his phone for the time. Nine thirty. His mother would probably be there by now. And, just as he thought, his mother and sister rushed into the hallway, looking sorrowful.
“He’s alright,” Kellin smiled, and his mother pulled him into a hug.
“Hello,” Mrs. Fuentes smiled to Mrs. Bostwick. Kellin’s mother pulled away from Kellin and went to speak to Vic’s parents.
“Hi,” Kellin heard Heather say to Mike. He rolled his eyes and leant against the wall as his mother started to talk about ‘the boys’ friendship’ and whatever else parents talked about.
“Well, we’re done with Victor,” the doctor reemerged from the hospital room with a small smile still on his face. “And he feels up to it, so you can probably take him home now.”
“Thank you so much,” Mrs. Fuentes smiled and ran to get her son ready, then thanking the Bostwicks for their support when they reemerged from the room and into the hallway.
“It’s alright. Kellin’s become very fond of your son,” Mrs. Bostwick squeezed Kellin’s arm, causing him to blush and duck his head while Vic nudged him with his hip.
“Yes, the boys are extremely close.” Mrs. Fuentes smiled to her own son, and both boys laughed quietly, because their parents were blissfully unaware of the extent of their closeness.
“I’ll see you on Thursday,” Vic whispered as he hugged Kellin.
“See you then.” Kellin returned, squeezing back just as tightly. “Love you.”
“Love you too.” Vic smiled and pulled away from Kellin, waving to the entire Bostwick family as he walked away with his parents and brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a very different idea for how this was going to turn out, but I decided I didn't want Vic to be too seriously hurt, so I changed it.
I'm not going to lie, I wanted to put Vic in the hospital in the first place because I didn't want to write I really happy, joyful holiday.
I'm kind of twisted.
Anyway, I told you I'd post it today!