Status: To understand this you need to read Red Petals, Storm Brew and Final Curtain

Infatuation

Chapter 8 - Exclusive

Part of me wanted to lock Melissa in a room. I wasn't sure if it was because she was basically undoing her life without thinking twice or because she'd used the word boyfriend to describe Aric. While Aric was sitting next us. Well, it didn't help that I was tracing my fingers across the back of his hand. It couldn't be helped; our waitress was perky and young, eying Aric far too much. I felt her eyes on him every time she walked by. I knew Aric enough to pick out the smugness underneath the cool face. That, and that smirk spoke volumes. After my bathroom trip, things escalated quickly: Mel flipped out on us and snapped at the waitress. Alright, so I didn't mind the last part. She marched off, leaving Aric and I staring after her.

"Well." I glanced at him. He shrugged. "She's adjusting well."

"Now's not the best time for jokes, Aric."

Aric sighed, craning his neck to one side. Shadows crept underneath those dazzling eyes of his. I slid my chair closer, bringing my mouth to his. Aric jerked, then, relaxed. He propelled closer, rolling my lower lip between his teeth. It made me squirm. A large hand cupped my neck; a thumb brushed my jaw line. It wasn't often that we were out in public. Usually, we spent our "together time" inside a room. The first and last time we showed off this sort of PDA—in public—was at the bar where we first hooked up.

"Kitten," he whispered against my mouth. So darn sexy. "My car's close by."

I burst into a laugh, then pulled away, grinning. Aric's hold on my neck didn't waver.

"Is my body all I'm good for? Shame on you, King. Shame on you." An equally large grin graced his face.

"I always knew you were more than a pretty face, luv." He stated. Aric leaned forward, staying in my personal space. "How were classes?"

"They were fine." I paused as he took a bite out of his muffin. "I didn't think I'd see you today."

"That's why they call it a surprise." Right. "I figure it's okay to surprise you now. Since you're calling me your boyfriend." I paled. Though, my stomach twisted into a knot.

"I didn't say that! Mel called you that, not me. Her."

Aric finished chewing another chunk of nutty-chocolate goodness. He faced me with a kind of intensity that always got me to shut up.

"No need to panic, Anna, dear. We don't have to put a label on our relationship…" he trailed off, vibrant eyes flickering to mine. "That is, as long as you admit we're in some sort of relationship. We've been seeing each other far too often for it to be casual sex." Was this the talk? I'd heard about it in movies and corny tv shows.

We looked at each other. I knew we were past the friends with benefits crap. He asked me out—to dinner—and I basically accepted. Mel's use of the word boyfriend had brought this on, but I knew this would've come into play sooner or later.

"Have you been seeing other people?" I asked, dragging a foot back and forth. A nervous tic.

Aric sunk into his chair, "No, of course not." Of course not. Like the deed had never crossed his mind. "Have you?"

"No…" I confessed softly, even though Aric knew the answer already.

He eyed other tables. I mulled over words. Suddenly, Aric cleared his throat.

"There's nothing wrong with wanting a serious relationship, Anna."

"I wasn't brought up believing that."

"And you think I was?" shit. "Listen, doing what we do doesn't mean you're mental or heartless. Many people have a code of their own, something to operate under. A moral compass."

"And you think that's the case with me."

"I know that's the case with you."

Aaaannnd… we were back to staring at one another. My leg was bouncing now. Great. Not conspicuous at all, Anna.

"Fine," I all but screamed. I swear the table closest to ours jumped five feet in the air. I ignored them. "We're in an exclusive relationship. Are you happy?"

"I was happy before." I punched his thigh. He winced, but I saw a twinkling in his eyes that previously hadn't been there and…it made me happy. "Does this mean I'm scheduled in for dinner?"

"When?" I was reeling, feeling like I shouldn't be allowed to speak without a supervisor or a moderator.

"Tomorrow?"

I pushed the giant ball of lead down my throat and faced him with a teasing smirk.

"I have to check my agenda."

Aric stretched out his arm and cocooned my hand in his. I liked the warmth of it.

***

Aric coerced me into coming to his house. Nate wasn't in, which was a huge plus, because we could be as loud as we wanted. Aric barely slammed the door behind us before I found myself pressed into a foyer wall, cornered by his larger frame. His hands groped along my body, slipping under my ass; he hefted me against the wall. Aric pinned me between him and a hard place while savoring the arch of my neck. I nibbled along his chin.

My breasts were sensitive by the time we made it to his bedroom. Aric flung me on the bed and I laughed a deep laugh. I sat up, tugging the camisole off—something warm and wet slipped across a nipple. Once I pulled the camisole above my head and tossed it, I saw Aric had moved a bra cup, exposing my left breast. His mouth was closed over the tip. I raised an eyebrow—ah, shit! He sucked harder and my thoughts scattered. I dug my fingers into his silk hair, pulling hard, telling him to keep on doing his thing.

Aric played with my breasts until I moaned and wrapped my legs around him or downright grabbed one of his hands and led it down below. He kissed my aching breasts one final time before facing me, mouth melting into a mischievous smirk.

"Something you need?" Aric shook my hand off. The hand I'd guided downstairs, trailed outside my panties in a slow, torturous motion. His chest pressed into my side—he angled himself and suddenly my left nipple was brushing his skin. My chest was heaving; every time I inhaled, the hypersensitive tissue brushed Aric's pec. One finger pressed into my clit—I groaned, biting my lip at the tantalizing pressure and tickling. "Are you going to cum for me, luv?"

He was so full of himself.

Despite my aching bundle, I twisted a bit. I ended up facing Aric on my side. My hand roamed downwards, grasping him through his boxers. He was hard and ready. I managed a sugar-coated grin when he quivered under my sudden grip, quickly relaxing.

"Two can play at this game, lover boy."

Aric made me cum twice. The second orgasm took longer. Aric came in my hand while working me for the second time. Now, after a quick clean up with a wad of tissues, we were lying on his bed. Aric was on his stomach and my chin was on his back. I ran my fingertips across his skin. I slid my body on top of his. I kissed his shoulders and neck, enjoying the radiating heat.

"That's nice." He cocked his head to the side, glancing at me out of an eye corner. He looked contented. I hid a smile by kissing his nape. "I meant your naked body pressing on mine. But the kisses are good too."

I dug my nails into his thigh. Aric groaned.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for Nolan's job?"

"Shh. Kitten, we're not discussing him right now." I rolled off to the side, landing on my back. Aric draped an arm around me. I sighed.

I caught a glimpse of Aric's most prominent scar. It was recent; from when the three of them got taken to the Order's base. The older scars… the ones Aric got as a kid, they were bleached gold, lighter than the rest of his skin, but still noticeable under light.

"Something on your mind?" he breathed in my ear.

"Just thinking about… family. I guess."

"Family," he whispered. I couldn't help thinking the word sounded like an abstract concept in both our mouths. "Do you remember them?"

"I remember my mom. I was twelve when she died. I remember her perfume. She didn't like cats. She argued with my aunt's cat often… My aunt says that made me laugh—when I was little. That's why mom did it." I bit my lip. I'd never shared this much with him or… even with Mel.

"It sounds like she was a good mum."

"I think so," I whispered.

"She was in the Hive?" I nodded. "Your dad was the odd one out, then." Nice to know Aric listened. "What about him?"

"He died when my mom was still pregnant." He never got to meet me. "Mom and him weren't married, they were dating. But it was a long-distance thing—mostly. My mother wanted to keep him in the dark about her real job. They got a little too drunk and well… condoms only work ninety-seven percent of the time."

"I didn't know that."

"Yep," Slowly, our conversation at the cafe returned. If I didn't know better, I'd blame drugs, but I didn't do those. Being trapped in that freezer shot me with fear, almost like a wakeup call—I regretted not having more. I'd told myself I would try a different life if I made it out and this with Aric and college… It was more.

I needed to go down this road with him. More than needing, I wanted to.

I leaned in, kissing him slowly, testing the waters. Aric was eager, though. "Hey," I whispered as we parted for breath. "Can I ask… about your…"

"Parents?" I curled my legs. "They're not my favorite subject, Anna." Especially his father. I didn't need to ask why. "My father was a bastard. The only times I remember him being a semi-decent father was whenever I did what I was told, which stopped happening early on."

"Why did your mother marry him?" I pursed my lips, but it was too late—it was out.

Aric turned over, onto his back.

"You can ask me things. I'm not going to get angry, luv." I propped myself on an elbow, watching as he glared at the ceiling, considering. "I honestly have no idea. My mother visited me whenever she could. She left when I was still a babe. Vincent was in charge at the time, but my grandfather was still alive. He made a deal with my mum. She could leave the Order, but she couldn't take me with her, because I was the future heir—from both founding families." Aric talked about his mother without resentment. "Whenever mum wanted to visit, she had to schedule it with my grandfather. Sometimes my father would be present."

I didn't want to imagine how those visits played out. I traced the ink on his shoulder and down his forearm, contemplating how incredibly strange and liberating sharing things with Aric was. Or hearing about his own past. I pressed my forehead to Aric's shoulder and shut my eyes.

"Why does Nolan hate you?"

"Because my father hated me. Nolan was my father's number one admirer, he followed every order and learned every lesson without a second thought. Without questioning why or if any of it was wrong."

"What about Riley?"

"She wanted attention and would do anything to get it." Aric paused. "Riley wasn't like Nolan and my father. She was lonely and afraid, though. When I left, she stayed with the only people she knew." I could understand wanting attention from your family, I'd heard Mel complain enough along the years. It had been hell not being allowed to tell her why Elena and George kept away. It hurt her. "I think that's enough for today. Hmm?"

He needed to get ready. I held in an irritated sigh.

"Alright." I rolled away from him, sitting up at the edge of bed. "Can I stick around here? I have a paper to do. Going back to my dorm will take like an hour or something." I collected my bra off the foot of bed and began a search for my tossed panties.

"Sure, luv. Make yourself at home." I felt him stalk me as I slipped on my underwear. Aric's calloused hands ran over my butt cheeks—squeezing—then moved toward my hips. "I would love nothing more than to come home and have you here." I threw him a shrewd glance. The start of a smirk showed on his face. "To cuddle with, Anna. Get your mind out of the gutter."

I let loose a cat-like grin as I twisted against him, pressing our fronts together. I wrapped my arms around Aric's neck.

"Kitten?" he whispered when I wouldn't do anything but stare.

"Just…" It came out as a raspy whisper. I tightened my embrace around his neck. "Watch your back."

Aric didn't dismiss my worry. Which was great, because it was stabbing me in the gut like a hunting knife. He dropped a kiss on my head.

I left Aric to get ready and went to grab my stuff out of his car. Nathaniel and I crossed paths just as I entered the small foyer connecting the kitchen and living room. He slammed the front door behind him.

"How did it go?" I wasn't sure why I bothered with asking, but hey, call me stupid.

"Not well." Nate stormed upstairs without looking my way. I wasn't offended.

Plopping down on Aric's couch, I wondered what the hell Mel was doing with her life.

***

It was late. My back and neck muscles were stiff and wouldn't loosen up, no matter how much I stretched out. My eyes felt like dried prunes from writing this damn essay. Scribbled pages were strewn about on the couch; two books on social economics were open on the floor. I could finish tomorrow and submit it before midnight…

A click I'd been waiting to hear since… Well, since they left, caused me to jump. I grabbed my computer before it met the floor. Steps pounded stairs. Nate was still in a pissy mood. Aric came into the living room rubbing the back of his neck. His green eyes were too alert for early hours in the morning.

"Still not done?"

"It's a lot of work." True, but not why I was still forcing myself to glare at economics. "How was your day, honey?"

Aric grinned at my cheekiness.

"It was a long tedious job." Crashing a drug trade wasn't exactly what I'd call tedious. "I don't have any extra holes in me, if that's what you're worried about."

"Good to know. How about your brother?"

"Which one?" I closed my laptop's lid, side-glancing him. Aric shuffled some papers around so that he could sit. "They're both fine. Although, I wish one would spontaneously explode."

"Me and you both."

Aric swept a hand through untamed hair; a deep sigh cut through him. A tidal wave of relief plowed into me and the constricting pressure around my stomach loosened. The last time I was this thankful, it was because Mel woke up from her coma. Aric pulled me into reality by prying my computer from my hands, depositing the technological thing on the coffee table. I blinked blearily eyed. Aric nodded toward the entryway.

"You look beat, Anna, let's go upstairs." I didn't argue like usual. Because I was mentally exhausted. Once we were inside his bedroom, Aric handed me the shirt he'd worn this afternoon, before it got ripped off in our sexual endeavors. We changed in unison—well, I changed. Aric stripped down to his boxers ready to hit the shower. "Be right back," he whispered, eyeing me closely. I had a feeling he thought I looked sexy in his shirt. "Try not to fall asleep without me, luv."

Aric smiled ruefully at my tired shrug. I was too busy getting under the covers, like a groundhog going into hibernation. I drifted; sleep was trying to consume me, weighing on the back of my mind like a ton of bricks. Still, I wanted to hang on. I have no idea when he came back, but human warmth cradled me. I fell deeper into oblivion.

Lips I was acutely familiar with touched my nape.

"Kitten," I heard in that sexy accent. But it echoed, like we were on opposite ends of a tunnel. I couldn't force my eyes open, little alone muster a coherent response. Maybe I let out a mumble. Something firm and warm circled my waist making me feel safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter happens during chapter 18 of Final Curtain (after Mel leaves Anna and Aric in the cafe). Enjoy!