Status: Updated almost daily depending on responses

Game

Game; 15

Eli's POV

I was prepared to tell her. She had to know. If I didn't tell her today, I would never tell her and I'd be explaining why I had to run to Canada to escape Quinton.
Tobe joined me on the floor, she hugged her jacket to her chest and she cocked her head. She looked so damn confused. She was only over here to celebrate my birthday and here I was about to drop the bombshell of the year that she'd been part of a bet that had spiralled out of control.
'Before I start, I want to tell you that I've fallen for you. Really hard.' I spoke honestly. I didn't lie a single word when I said that to her. Her brown eyes widened for a second before the colourful blush I'd come to adore adorned her cheeks.
She was about to say something but I spoke first. I didn't want her to say anything. The slightest utterance from her mouth would hinder my confession.
Taking a deep breath, I ignored the clenching of nerves in my stomach wound tight like a parcel ribbon. 'The guys, Harlot, Jamie, Oliver and me made a bet.' I looked at the ground, avoiding her wandering eyes, 'the bet was not new for me. I'd done it before. To other girls. We would choose someone, they'd put money on the table, I'd sleep with them, spread it around and I'd win the bet. This time, the game, Tobe, was you.'
I finally looked at her and hated what I saw. The absolute devastation that crossed her beautiful face almost killed me right there, I couldn't deny the involuntary pull my heart had towards her. I'd never felt this way ever.
She went to speak again and for the second time I stopped her, 'when it came out that you were a virgin, the money went way up. Sky fucking high. Oli mentioned it to someone we know, someone with a lot more money than all of us put together. He got involved and turned this game into something so much more than what it was supposed to be. The guy that came to the shop worked for him and today is my deadline. Tobe, I don't want to play the game anymore.'
Her eyes bore into mine. I couldn't tell how she was feeling anymore. No emotion crossed her face whatsoever and it frightened me. We sat in silence for what felt like hours.
Eventually, she breathed and turned her gaze to the carrier bag next to me. She reached out and took it. For a moment I thought she was going to up and leave with the present but instead she remained seated and took out a wrapped gift from the bag.
'It's not much but Harlot said you didn't have it and I think everyone deserves to own this movie,' she was rambling, turning the gift over in her hands over again before taking out another small gift that wasn't wrapped. It was a car air freshener of some sort. 'Tobe,' I called.
'... and this, well, this is kind of a joke.' She was laughing now but it wasn't full of amusement like it should be.
'Tobe,' I tried again. She continued to speak until I reached out and snatched them from her, gripping her small arms in my strong grasp, she didn't look at me.
'Did you hear what I just told you?'
'Yes.' She clarified. 'I've seen Cruel Intentions, She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You.'
Rolling my eyes I let her go and stood up. She remained on the floor, her eyes set on the laminate wood beneath her. She looked so small but I was beginning to get frustrated with her.
'Life aint a fucking movie, October.'
Running a hand through my hair I wanted to tear it out. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but it wasn't a list of movies she'd watched. I wanted her to yell or scream or something to release her anger - but I didn't want her to leave me.
She put her knees to her chest and hugged them. 'I know' she whispered and in the silence of the empty house, her humorless laugh echoed around the walls, 'I should have expected this.'
I closed my eyes and inwardly groaned, I didn't want to hear that. 'No, you shouldn't, Tobe.'
Leaning against the wall, I couldn't describe the feeling I felt right now. I felt lower than shit. Seeing her on my floor, with her knees to her chest hiding her face admitting she should have expected this all along because it was so rare that someone showed her the affection that I have, it broke my heart.
Crouching down to her level, I put my hands on her cheeks and was relieved when she didn't pull away, her hair was hiding her face as she continued looking at the ground.
'I stopped playing long ago, Tobe. The night at the party. Christ, when I saved you from that fucking Trevor. As soon as you were rude to me in Starbucks.'
She scoffed and finally met my eyes, her brown orbs were glistening with unshed tears and I was about to break my promise. The promise I'd made to never make her feel so low. Unable to look at her, I rested my forehead against hers and closed my eyes, she pressed her head into mine and to my disbelief and utter astonishment, she put her arms around my neck.
'I don't want this to end,' she spoke in whispered confession and I tightened my grip on her.
'It doesn't have to.'
'Your deadline is today. You either say you slept with me and this guy leaves you alone or you don't and...' she paused, 'will he hurt you?'
Quinton was known to having personal vendetta's over those whose wronged him. I doubted he'd go to the full extents of murdering me on the plain old reason of an unfufilled debt and some lost coke but I would be reminded every damn day of the damage I'd done. Broken bones maybe, a missing limb, the stories of Quinton's surviving victims were endless and gruesome.
I swallowed the fear inside of me at the thought of it.
'What if we lied?' She asked and brought her face away from mine. I looked at her seriously, gouging for any kind of joke.
'Lie about me sleeping with you?' I could see the insecurity in her eyes just as I repeated the question.
She nodded with unsure eyes, 'everyone wins.'
'No Tobe,' I bit through ground teeth, 'you don't win. You'll be just another notch in my damn headboard. Your mum will find out, your sister, your friends. Not to mention, we wouldn't be able to date anymore. Fuck that.'
Tobe bit her lip and I helped her stand up, she blew out a breath and some strands of fear whisked away from her face. She looked deep in thought.
'What's the rules exactly?' She asked, 'what's the aim of the game? To sleep with me or just spread the word around and ruin my reputation?'
Shrugging I said, 'does it matter?'
'Yes,' she said and stepped away from me, 'I can deal with the consequences of people thinking we slept together.'
'I said no. I want to be with you. If we say the bet was won, that means the game is over. If Quinton finds out I'm in a relationship with you, there'd be no game.'
'Quinton is the guy who upped the stakes?'
I nodded and she shoved her tongue into her cheek. I appreciated the fact she was trying so hard to save me but I suddenly felt useless. I felt helpless right now as she came up with these suggestions and I stood here like an audience member watching a soap opera.
Placing my palms on her shoulders I pulled her into me, her scent overwhelming my senses. She made me relax.
'What are we gonna do?' She asked softly into my chest.
'We aren't gonna do anything. I will sort this.' I kissed the top of her head. 'You're not mad?'
I felt her sigh and I braced myself for her answer. She put her small hand on my heart feeling it beat rapidly under her touch.
'I feel you.' She said, 'I feel this.' She took my hand and put it on her chest. She smirked, 'no dirty thoughts. Just feel.'
And I did. The beating of her heart as we realized they were almost in complete sync with eachother. Like an intimate harmony only for us.
'This isn't a game, is it?' Tobe asked, 'this isn't fake.'
I shook my head without hesitation. 'No way. No fucking way is this fake.'
♠ ♠ ♠
I got quite a few comments last chapter asking for an update so here you are.
Hope it isn't too bad. Thank you so much for everyone who has commented or taken a chance with this story