A Life Less Ordinary

I Would Listen To The Woman

Her ankle was better and two days later, she was determined to explore. She sat up and looked around. Bane, yet again, was no where in sight. This irritated her as she was now accustomed to having him next to her. She pulled her sweater on, tying it at the waist, then stepped gingerly out of bed. When very little pain was felt, she made her way out the door.

The hallway was very long, apparently her room was on the corner. The floors were dark hardwood with faded but elegant red and gold runners. Large brass sconces were on either side of the nine other wooden doors. An enormous painting hung at the opposite end of the hall by the stairwell and the closer she got, she could tell that it was of Waterhouse’s Circe Invidiosa. The staircase was large and spiral with huge brass railing that was cool to the touch as she gripped it during her descent. The walls were hardwood decorated with more large paintings and sconces.

She found herself in the large lobby. Three massive chandeliers hung from the ceiling, thick cobwebs connecting each candlestick. Sheets covered most of the furniture which was pushed against the walls and the large oversized windows were boarded up. There was an elevator on the west side of the lobby. She walked to it and pressed the button, shocked when it opened. She poked her head inside, counting buttons for at least five additional floors and a basement.

“I would not take the elevator…” Isla screamed at the closeness of Bane’s unexpected voice and spun around.

“Was that entirely necessary?!” she asked, trying to slow her heart rate. He stood mere inches from her.

“No, but it made me smile.” he replied, eyes crinkling behind the mask. He wore a black long sleeved cotton shirt with olive green cargo pants and black military boots.

Isla arched her eyebrow in response. “Nice outfit.” she replied.

“Thank you.” he said, completely missing her sarcasm.

“Did you come to bed last night?” she asked.

“I did, sometime after three this morning.”

“So I take it none of your men have arrived yet?” she began to walk around the lobby.

Bane’s brow furrowed with frustration. “Not yet, no.”

She pulled her sweater tighter around her waist. “Are you able to contact any of them?”

“I have tried, but the storm is making it difficult. I was expecting them to be here before me.” he said.

She turned to him. “What happens if they don’t show?”

Bane looked at her. “I don’t know.” he replied. She could tell that the thought of his men not showing bothered him and that bothered her.

“Show me around, won’t you?” she asked, sliding her hand under his large bicep.

He nodded his head slightly. “How is your ankle?”

“Much better…” she said, lifting her foot and wiggling her toes. He slid his hand over hers and led her in the direction of the basement stairs.

OoOoOoOo


The entire resort had electricity, water and heat, compliments of the League of Shadows. The basement seemed to go on forever and was considerably cooler than the rest of the building. It had a gym at the far end and a large room with a number of computer devices and tools.

“How is there still power here? Who pays the bill?” Isla asked.

“The League of Shadows is everywhere, dearest. Infiltration is the key to our success.” Bane answered.

“Well who kept the place clean? My bedroom and bathroom were spotless.”

His eyes met hers and crinkled.

“You didn’t-” her face broke out into a huge grin.

“I wasn’t going to allow you to clean up after the long trip we had. You were exhausted.” he said.

He led her back up to the lobby and proceeded to lead her down another beautifully decorated hallway which split left and right at the end. A faded sign on the wall pointed left for the ballroom and right for the pools and garden.

“There’s a ballroom?” Isla asked.

“Was. It was changed into living quarters for the others.” he explained.

“There’s a pool? Has that been changed into a giant bathroom?” she asked, making a right for the pool.

She pushed through the double wooden doors and entered the pool area. It was a long beautiful pool, indoor. The water was clear and placid, extremely inviting. The floor was made up white, gold, and dark blue tiles. The lounge chairs were stacked neatly against the giant glass windows that reached from the floor to the ceiling.

“Did you clean here too?” Isla dipped her foot into the water. It was incredibly warm and took everything in her to stop from jumping in.

“For the last two days.” he said.

She noticed the snow falling and walked to the window.

“The gardens.” Bane replied. She could feel his chest against her back as he stood behind her.

“I bet they are beautiful in the spring…” she said quietly, her breath fogging the glass. Bane wrapped his colossal arms around her waist, pressing his mask against her hair.

“I wouldn’t know.” he replied. She turned and looked up at him.

“Thank you…for everything. You’ve taken such good care of me and I can’t remember ever saying thank you…” she said, stroking his mask. He ran his fingers through her hair, locking eyes with hers.

“You don’t need to thank me…What I do-” he ripped off his mask. “I do because I love you.”

Isla felt as if she were suddenly drunk, her pulse began to race. “You…what?”

“I love you, Isla Sloan.” He lowered his face close to hers, his lips brushing lightly against the corner of her lips.

Isla began to tremble from the adrenaline. “I-”

“Well, well, well. What have we here?” The couple turned in the direction of the voice. A man comparable to Bane’s size stood, leaning against the door frame. He wore an open white ski coat with a black turtle neck, black pants and black boots.

“Victor.” Bane’s voice sounded slightly hostile.

“No warm welcome for your brother?” He held his hands out and stepped forward. He had slicked back dark brown hair and spoke with a thick German accent. “Who is this beauty?” His eyes went over her like a beast observing its prey.

Isla’s face reddened as she realized she was clad only in a white pair of boy shorts and her sweater. Bane pushed her behind him protectively.

“Glad to see you made it here safely. Did anyone else arrive with you?” Bane said.

“Myself and about twenty others. And yourself?” Victor clasped his hands behind his back and walked the perimeter of the pool slowly.

“Just myself.” Bane responded.

“And the girl…”

“And her as well, but no one else.” Bane’s eyes followed his movement, his body tense. “Have you had contact with anyone else?”

“Nein. I managed to escape and happened upon Luca with Schneider and two others. We joined with Barsad and another group at the base of the mountain.” Victor said.

Isla peered from behind Bane, watching him as he moved slowly. She made up her mind immediately that she didn’t like him. Something in his demeanor made her uneasy and Bane’s response to his presence didn‘t help.

“I see you’ve removed your mask, brother.” Victor speculated. Isla felt Bane’s arm flinch ever so slightly. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with the woman at your back?”

“SHE is none of your concern, Victor. Take your leave. I will meet with the lot of you downstairs in ten minutes.” Bane’s voice was threatening.

“Of course.” Victor bowed his head slightly and disappeared through the doors.

Bane turned to Isla. “I need you to return to your room and wait for me there.”

“Who is he?” she asked. Bane pulled her sweater closed.

“Victor. He is a bastard and one of my best men. Brutal and precise. When he wants something, it is only a matter of time before he takes it.” Bane escorted her into the hallway. He lowered his voice. “I do not like the way he was looking at you.”

“I don’t like the way he was looking at you.” Isla said. Bane exhaled through his nose.

I will be alright, no need to worry.” he replied.

“Go to your men, sir.” she said, holding out his mask. He took it from her and slid it over his head.

“Go to you room, darling. I wont be long.” The mask had a special way of making his sweetest of comments sound so menacing. She brushed her fingers over the mouthpiece and he nudged into them.

“Go on then.” He said. Isla turned without another word and made her way through the lobby and towards the stairs.

She was half way up when she came face to face with three men and stopped short. Her heart began to race.

“Hello beautiful…” He stood to her right wearing a large coat, a thick scarf around his neck. He had a black goatee and she could see thick black hair peeking out from under his hat.

“Are you our present?” The middle one was clad in similar clothing with greasy blonde hair and blue eyes. “Barsad, d’ye think she’s for us?” he asked, with a British accent.

The one called Barsad stood to her left wearing a long sleeved brown thermal shirt with black pants. He had dark brown hair and a beard. He said nothing, just chewed on a toothpick, his green eyes never leaving hers.

“I’m not for anyone.” She said, lifting her chin defiantly. “I’m Bane’s.” She continued up the stairs, shoving past Barsad and the Brit.

“Oh I have reservations about that!” The first man turned and gripped her upper arm roughly. “Bane has never taken a woman for himself. He leaves them for us.” he too spoke with a British accent.

“Luca, I would listen to the woman.” Barsad said coolly.

“I am his woman not to be shared!” she cried, jerking her arm away.

“ISLA!” The men turned quickly. Bane stood brooding at the bottom of the stairs.

“Told you…” Barsad mumbled, continuing down the stairs. He took his place next to Bane, receiving an acknowledging nod from the leader of the mercenaries.

“Isla, to your room.” He ordered. She turned and walked briskly down the hall until she was out of sight, then she ran, slamming the door and locking it behind her.

Shit just got real.