A Life Less Ordinary

She Is Untouchable

Isla stood on the balcony that overlooked the lobby, gripping the railing as she watched the men. As the weeks passed, more and more men arrived at the doors and she watched with creeping apprehension as Bane welcomed them with open arms. He stood below, speaking with a few of the newer arrivals. Occasionally the men would shift their gazes up to where she stood until Bane sent them scattering with a stiff wave of his hand. He turned and looked up at her, his eyes void of any emotion. She held his stare for a moment before narrowing her eyes and storming away to her room. She made a point to slam the door with all her might. With a loud scream and furious swipe of her arm, she pushed the antique lamp and decorative knick knacks off of the nearby table.

She couldn’t help but notice subtle changes in his demeanor towards her. Bane’s visits to her room were becoming less and less, leaving her feeling more like his captive than the woman he supposedly loved. After the near-incident on the stairs, he had immediately placed two of his men at the base of them, barring anyone from going up-and preventing Isla from going down.

She spent the days in her room, listening to her music, watching the television, or sleeping-the perfect recipe for depression. Sometimes she sat in the seat of the large bay window reading one of the many old books she had found or hanging out on the balcony that overlooked the mountains. At least she had fresh air and the view wasn’t terrible. The sunrise was always visible from the balcony, and the it warmed her face on the rare occasions that it wasn’t overcast.

The closest interaction she’d had with anyone was when the loud knock at her door signaled the delivery of her meals. Bane never knocked. So she knew immediately who it was when the door opened. Glass crunched under his boots as he entered the room.

Isla sat at her dresser brushing her hair, refusing to acknowledge him. After a minute or two of silence, he finally spoke.

“You are displeased…” he looked at her in the mirror.

She turned her head, glancing at him from the corner of her eye. “Is that a question? Or an observation?” she snapped. He sighed and walked towards her, resting a hand on her shoulder. “You changed the minute those men walked through that door.”

“I know I have seemed distant-”

“Absent is more like it.” She said, shrugging his hand away.

“I am sorry.” he replied, dropping his hands to his sides.

“Am I being held captive?” she asked, turning to look at him face to face.

His brows furrowed. “Of course not-”

“Then why am I being held captive?!” she cried. “Because this is exactly what this is.”

He sat down on the bed across from her, resting his elbows on his knees. “That was not my intent, I assure you.”

“Then what was your intent? This is the first time you have been to see me in nearly a week. And it was over a week before that. Am I tarnishing your bad boy persona?” she said.

“This is new territory to me, Isla. This is the only way I can keep you safe when I’m not around.” he explained.

“I’m not made of glass! And I’m not as weak as you like to think. I am capable of taking care of myself, I’ve done it for years before you came along!” she yelled.

“Like you took care of yourself back in that alley.” he was beginning to grow angry. Isla pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes.

“You son of a bitch. THAT was different. He snuck up on me in the shadows.” she said.

“And what exactly makes you think those men down there wont do worse?! Because I can assure you they have!” He yelled. He was furious at her ability to cause him to lose his calm disposition.

Isla jumped as he stood up, his fingers twitching slightly by his sides. He had never yelled at her before and it sounded worse when vented through his mask. His eyes were cold as he stared down at her.

She stared up at him wide-eyed, clutching her brush to her chest.

“Clean this mess.” he turned and stalked out, slamming the door.

OoOoOoOo


Isla woke to the sound of voices outside of her door. She opened her eyes and looked out the window above her bed. It was still dark outside and the moonlight shown brightly, casting a pale glow over her. She had cried herself into unconsciousness after Bane left, and the tears were threatening to return now that she was awake. This isn’t how she had envisioned her new life.

She covered her eyes and rolled over, letting the pent up sob escape into her pillow. Tears soaked her pillow as she wondered just what she had gotten herself into. She cried for the Bane she had gotten to know over the course of their crazy travel. She cried for the complicated boring life she had left behind. She cried for her cozy little apartment with its tiny fireplace and worn oversized plush leather chair. She cried for Baxter the Cat.

The door opened quietly but she continued to sob into her pillow. She felt the pressure on the mattress as he laid down next to her. He laid his hand on the back of her head, stroking her hair.

“This isn’t going to work…” he said quietly. Her crying stopped and she turned to look at him, sitting up. He was without his mask.

“What are you talking about?” she squeaked, tears rolling down her cheeks. He sat up and took her face in his hands, brushing the tears away with his thumbs.

“This room.” he clarified. “You’ve a new room on the fifth floor.”

“You’re moving me further away?” she asked, confused.

“Yes. It is solely for your safety.” His eyes softened. “I apologize for the way I spoke to you this evening.” he said.

She shook her head. “Bane-”

“No. It absolutely was unacceptable.” he leaned forward and pressed his forehead against hers gently, closing his eyes. “I love you.” he whispered. Isla closed her eyes. Her body felt as if she were buzzing every time he said those words. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him down onto the sheets. He rested his head on her chest, listening to her heartbeat.

“I love-” She was interrupted by a loud knock at the door.

“Sir?” one of the men called from hallway.

Bane sat up. “What is it?” he bellowed.

“You are needed in the basement.”

He sighed and looked at her. She forced a small smile. “You are needed…” she said quietly. He grabbed his mask from the bedside table and slid it over his head.

“I will be back before long.” he said, turning to her. She looked up at him and nodded slightly. He brushed his hand across her face gently before taking his leave.

OoOoOoOo


Isla entered the large oak double doors in awe. Her new room was more like a penthouse. Every window had a plush cushion in the sill. The western wall had windows that reached the ceiling, with glass doors that opened onto a large balcony with marbled railing. It overlooked the mountains and the western side of the grounds and gardens. The ceiling had a large circular skylight.

A large king-sized bed was against the wall opposite the balcony. Sheer light blue drapes hung from the lofty bedposts, enveloping it.

She walked into the bathroom and gasped. There was an oversized antique claw foot cast iron bathtub in the middle and a glass enclosed shower in the corner. The walls were oak, the floor dark blue and ivory tile.

She walked under an oak archway that divided the bedroom from the parlor, looking up at the oak lined tray ceiling. The parlor had oak hardwood flooring with a single royal blue area rug. A black chaise lounge was in front of a large stone fireplace which had tall shelves filled with books on either side. Large windows on wither side allowed the light from outside to pour in.

“Will this do?” Isla turned at the sound of his voice. Bane leaned against the archway, mask clad, gripping the lapels of his olive green military coat.

“I don’t know what to say…” She drug her hands over the lowest row of books. “This is more beautiful than I could have imagined.” she replied, turning to him.

“Come, I want to show you the best part.” he gestured behind him into the bedroom.
Isla followed him to the bed. He stood at the head of the bed and lifted a slat on the wall.

Isla’s eyes widened. “Is that a dumb waiter? No more obnoxious banging on the door for food!” she smiled.

“That…” he pulled the middle shelf out and stood back. “and an escape. If anything should ever happen, that” he pointed to the bedroom door. “is the only way out. You are tiny enough to fit in here. It will drop you down into the kitchen. From the kitchen-”

“Seriously Bane, could you be any more romantic?” she asked, sitting on the bed.

“I…wasn’t trying to be rom-”

“Sarcasm.” Isla flopped back on the mattress. “You showed me this beautiful place, and then lock me away in another beautiful place. I‘m not some porcelain doll to be put up on a shelf.” Bane sighed and sat next to her, looking her over.

“I know this…” he said, rubbing her thigh reassuringly. “I have a meeting to attend.” he stood. Isla looked up at him.

“I would like for you to come with me.” He said. Isla arched her eyebrow at him questioningly.

“Honestly?”

He nodded, offering his hand. She took it and smiled.

“Have I ever been anything but honest with you?” he asked.

“You have me there.” she replied. He wrapped and arm around her waist and led her out into the hallway where two men stood guard.

“Bane…can we please lose the night watch? Is it entirely necessary?” she asked.

“It is necessary.” he replied, looking down at her. “But we can discuss that at a later time. After you.” he stepped aside to allow her access to the elevator.

They descended to the basement in silence, Isla leaned her head against his massive arm. She could hear the loud rumble of men talking and laughing. The doors opened, revealing what Isla could only guess as over 100 men. She released his arm, feeling suddenly very nervous as they stepped off the elevator.

“My brothers!” Bane called loudly. The commotion died down and all attention was directed towards them.

“I want to congratulate you all on your escape from Gotham. The overall mission was less than successful, but all things…” he held his hands up. “happen for a reason. WE WERE MEANT FOR GREATER THINGS.” he brought his fist down against his chest.

Isla’s eyes scanned the crowd, looking over the haggard, dirty faces of the men. A chill went down her spine when her eyes fell on Victor. He stood at the front of the crowd, staring at her. At least the other men averted their gazes when she looked at them. She looked away, choosing to focus on the back wall. She hadn’t heard the rest of his speech until he took her hand.

It was an unexpected move as she was positive that he’d had an image to uphold. But the fact that he had acknowledged her in front of his men gave her a warm feeling in her chest.

“This woman…Isla…” he held her hand up in his as if her were going to kiss it. His voice took a vicious tone. “She is untouchable. I say this with every, single, meaning of the word and it will be the only time I say it.” He turned his head slowly, looking at every man one at a time. His words gave her confidence, and she lifted her chin, looking directly at Victor. The slightest of smiles played on his lips.

“She is mine and if any one of you so much as looks at her with anything less than reverence-if you lay a finger on her in any menacing way, I will kill you.” He delivered the warning as one would give a friendly reminder. He looked down at her.

“Go. I will be there shortly.” he said. Isla nodded, gave his hand a gentle squeeze, and stepped back onto the elevator. The closing doors were the only thing that broke Victor’s stare.