A Life Less Ordinary

It's Not My Story To Tell

True to his word, Bane returned to their room that night. At first glance, he wasn’t sure she was there. A fire burned in the fireplace of the bedroom, but the bed lay untouched.

He removed his vest, dropping it on the sofa at the bottom of the bed. “Isla?”

A cold breeze blew the curtains, signaling the balcony doors were open. He walked out and looked around. A fire burned in the pit. Isla lay bundled up on the large plush chaise lounge, book open across her hip. He quietly made his way over to her, reaching for the book when she turned a gave a start.

“Christ!” she cried, sitting up.

“Apologies. I thought you were asleep.” he replied, sitting across from her.

She pulled the blanket tighter around her and closed the book. “Almost.”

“I see you found a book.” The light from the fire gave his face an menacing appearance.

Isla nodded, rubbing the worn cover of the book. “The Sound and The Fury…it’s too depressing. Found it in the drawing room. How did your meeting go?”

Bane leaned back in the chair, rubbing his hands over his head. “Like they all go. Words of encouragement followed by orders.”

“Orders?” Isla asked.

“I’m sending you to Jasper tomorrow with Barsad and two others. We need supplies and you need clothes.” He replied.

“Why can’t you go with me?” she stood and walked to him.

“There are things here that I must tend to. You will be safe with Barsad. He is my most trusted man and would die for you just as he would myself.” he reached out and grasped her bare leg, stroking her thigh gently. She brushed her fingers down his face.

“If you really think so.”

“I do think so.” he said, standing up and escorting her into the bedroom.

OoOoOoOo

Isla stepped out into the cold, early morning air. Men were scattered about the grounds, some training, others setting to other tasks that had been assigned. She zipped up her coat and made her way to the gate doors where Bane stood talking with Barsad. Luca and another man stood silently next to them.

“Good morning.” she stood on her tiptoes and planted a kiss on Bane’s exposed upper cheek. He acknowledged her presence with a furrowed brow and a grunt.

“Once we arrive in town, we will have 24 hours to obtain the supplies. After we have everything, we are to return immediately.” Barsad explained. Isla looked up at Bane. He stood with his arms crossed over his chest, focusing on the goings on in the courtyard.

“How are we getting there?” she asked.

“Snow mobiles, out front.” Barsad jerked his chin in the direction of the gates.

“Well how ar-” Bane cut her off.

“It’s time.” he replied, punching in the code. The gate locks groaned with age, then gave a loud pop before opening completely. Luca and the other man got on to one snow mobile. Barsad followed.

“Bane-” He looked down at her.

“Do not keep them waiting, Isla.” he replied. She was taken aback slightly at his cold tone, but she nodded in response. Making her way to the snow mobile, she climbed up and wrapped her arms around Barsad’s waist, giving Bane a reproachful look before they sped off.

OoOoOoOo


“How long have you been with Bane?” Isla asked. Barsad looked at her with tired, bloodshot eyes.

“Ten years.” he replied quietly, putting his cigarette out in the ashtray. He leaned back, draping his arm lazily across the back of the chair. They sat at the small table, the single light casting a yellow glow on them.

“Has he been acting strange?” she asked.

“He has a lot on his mind.” he said. Isla looked out the window of the hotel room. They had arrived in town after several hours of non stop, high speed travel across rocky, snowy terrain.

Isla’s back and legs ached after spending several more hours purchasing clothes and hygiene supplies. By the time they had entered the outskirts of the town, night was falling quickly and the weather had deteriorated into one of the final snow storms of the season. Barsad and Luca parked the snowmobiles and the four of them made their way to the nearest motel.

Luca and Theo (she learned the latter’s name from Barsad as the two men were apparently too afraid to speak to her) had gone to meet with a connection who was supposedly assisting them with the collection of “supplies”. Isla wanted to ask what those supplied were as she was certain that Bane wouldn’t have sent three of his men to accompany her on a shopping trip.

“How long have you been in the League of Shadows?” she asked, wrapping her arms around her knees.

He looked at her quizzically. “I’m not.”

“What? But Bane is part of the leag-” Barsad was shaking his head before she had even finished her sentence.

“No.” He lit another cigarette. “He didn’t tell you?” he asked, smoke pouring from his lips as he spoke. Isla shook her head slightly. He took a long drag and scratched the back of his neck.

“Bane was excommunicated from the League of Shadows ten years ago.” he said.

Her confusion was apparent. “But that’s all he talks about. If he was truly excommunicated then how is it the League continues to provide everything?” she asked.

He gave a cynical laugh. “There is no more League of Shadows. Bruce Wayne saw to that when he murdered Ra’s al Guhl. He honestly didn’t tell you?” he asked.

“No…who are Bruce Wayne and that other guy? Why was Bane excommunicated?” she asked, suddenly feeling very awake.

Barsad shook his head, taking another deep drag from the cigarette. “It’s not my story to tell.”

“Why would he not tell me though?” she said, feeling her anger rise.

“You think that a few nights in a cheap hotel room and pillow talk makes you soul mates? Bane is and has always been his own person. If he didn’t tell you, there was a reason for it. You want the answer? Get it from him.” his voice was cold.

Isla bristled at his tone. “You have no idea what went on between us.” she snapped.

“Sweetheart, I don’t much care. But you have to think. His body and mind suffered a great trauma and you were the first person he saw after said trauma. Traumatic bonding sounding familiar?” Barsad asked, leaning forward against the table as he spoke. Isla sunk back into the chair.

“What is your problem?” she asked, refusing to acknowledge his previous remark. He stood, walked into the kitchenette and poured himself a glass of water.

Barsad leaned against the counter. “I’ve known him for the better part of ten years. You, I’ve only known for about ten minutes. He has always been an ambitious man, always ten steps ahead and ready for the next mission. We come in, prepared to receive our next orders, only to find him playing house.”

Isla’s anger was palpable as she abruptly stood, feeling cramped in the small room. “So what? Is there some code between you men that prohibits any kind of interactions with the opposite sex?” she yelled.

Barsad slammed his hand down on the table angrily. “These men may seem loyal, but they are looking for any reason-and I mean any-to seize the opportunity and remove him from his position. They see you being here as a pretty damn big sign, and the fiasco on the stairs that day didn’t help- not to mention the meeting fiasco where he threatened everyone‘s lives. And now he has me out here babysitting you while you try on fancy clothes and such.”

Isla collapsed down on the edge of the bed. “So he’s no longer the leader, I don’t see the-”

“By remove, I mean kill, Isla.” he interrupted. “If you know anything about him at all, then you know he is a very powerful man. There is no way that he would willingly step down, and whoever takes him out will be immortalized throughout the underground communities.”

Isla’s heart dropped to her stomach as she registered his words. “Have you told him any of this?” she asked.

“I don’t have to tell him, he’s no fool.” Barsad returned to his seat at the small dinner table, lighting his fourth cigarette.

Isla jumped as the motel door swung open and Luca and Theo traipsed in. She didn’t hide the look of disgust at the sight of blood on their hands and clothing.

Luca walked into the bathroom and began to wash his blood-stained hands. Theo sat adjacent to Barsad and bummed a cigarette.

“What happened?” Barsad demanded.

Luca entered the room, drying his hands on his shirt. “Nothing important. The supplies have been secured.” he said.

Barsad looked at his watch, then at Isla. “You should get some rest. We leave at daybreak.”

OoOoOoOo


Sleep eluded Isla partly because of her anger towards Barsad and it didn’t help that the other two men creeped her out, but mostly because of her worry for Bane. It also didn’t help that Barsad, Luca, and Theo stayed up the remainder of the night whispering animatedly amongst themselves.

She tried to remind herself that Barsad was loyal to Bane and wouldn’t allow any harm to come to her, but she could only focus on the anger that he held towards her.

“Isla, its time to go.” Theo said, nudging the mattress with his knee. She sat up and rubbed her face, jumping as she was smacked in the face with her coat.

“Suit up. Its still snowing out.” Isla glared at him, donned her coat and followed Theo and Luca outside while Barsad paid for the room.

They led her around the motel to the edge of the woods where they had parked their snow mobiles.

“Where are our supplies?” she asked, looking around. She pulled her hood tighter around her face.

“It doesn’t concern you.” Theo said.

Isla rolled her eyes. “It does-”

“Why are you standing around? Let’s go!” Barsad demanded, clapping his hands impatiently. Isla was more than ready to return and sat on the back of the snowmobile. Barsad barely gave her time to wrap her arms around his waist before he sped off.

She dreaded the next hours. Although the snow was steadily falling, the wind had considerably died down. She held out hope that the temperature would cease to fall.

Isla pressed her face into his back and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to gaurd her face from the wind. She felt Barsad’s arm move, pulling her out of her cold daze. They were slowing down as they approached a large clearing.

“Why are we stopping?” Isla yelled over the wind. The two snowmobiles came to a halt at the edge of the clearing.

“This is where you get off, Isla.” Barsad replied over his shoulder.

“What are you talking about?” she asked.

He dismounted, and walked into the field, looking up at the sky. Isla was starting for feel anxious as she could just make out the unmistakable sound of a helicopter. Thoroughly confused, she looked up and saw it slowly descending into the field.

“Wha-?” She held her hands up to shield her face from the snow that was being blown around by the blades of the chopper. Barsad took her arm and led her to the helicopter. “Barsad! What’s going on?” she asked, grasping his arm.

“Our orders have changed. The chopper is going to take you back to base.” Barsad said, ushering her into the cab. He slammed the door before she could protest.

“Strap yourself in.” Isla turned her heart rate increasing. Victor sat behind the controls. “It’s going to be a rough ride.”