A Life Less Ordinary

Amethyst Lake

Over a month later, Isla lay out in her bathing suit on the balcony trying hard to pretend to be on the beaches of Rio. The June sun was hot, but nothing compared to Rio.

“I brought you some lunch.” Barsad called from inside the room.

“Awesome…provisions.” She said, sitting up. Barsad came out carrying two plates of roasted potatoes and chicken. He handed the plate to her and sat next to her. Their lunches had become a daily ritual.

“What are we doing today?” he asked.

“I was working on my tan.” she pushed her sunglasses up onto her head. “Tell me Barsad, how have I not become a 300 pound couch potato?” she asked, shoving a potato in her mouth.

Barsad laughed and sliced into the chicken. “It isn’t your nature, love. Though I’m sure you could become a 300 pound couch potato if you’d like, Bane would love you still.”

“You think?” she asked, mouth full of food. She watched below as Bane sparred with another man down in the courtyard.

“How could anyone not love you?” Barsad asked. Isla looked over at him, fork in mid air. His face reddened slightly. “I mean your personality-of course.”

She winced as a man charged at Bane, but was lifted effortlessly and tossed to the side.

“Come on. I have something we can do so you don’t become a 300 pound couch potato. But I would suggest putting on some clothes first. And tennis shoes.” Barsad took the now empty plates and set them aside.

“What kind of clothes? And what are we doing?” she asked. He pulled her up and shooed her into the room.

“You’ll see.” he replied.

OoOoOoOo


Victor stood at the window, looking out at Isla and Barsad as they walked across the courtyard to the gates.

“Have you given him the new medicine, Doctor?” he asked.

Woodrue, ever focused on his research, grunted as he peered through a microscope. “Indeed I did. Tomorrow he is due for a cartridge change. This will be the third one, the Venom increased by 200 percent.”

“When can we expect the symptoms to begin?” Victor turned away from the window, arms crossed over his chest.

“If they haven’t started already, then it will be very soon.” Woodrue scribbled in his little notebook and rolled his sleeve up. Victor watched with disgust as he tied the tourniquet and injected his arm with a greenish liquid.

“I will be in touch.” He replied, walking out.

OoOoOoOo


“This is amazing, Barsad…” Isla said, looking over the edge of a large, rocky cliff. A massive lake was below, shimmering blue in the sunlight. Snow still littered the mountains on the other side of the lake. Dark clouds were visible in the distance.

“Amethyst Lake. I come here when I don’t need to think.” he replied. Isla glanced at him. He stood staring out over the lake, his face covered with the beginnings of a scruffy beard.

“That so?” she asked, kicking some rocks over the edge.

“It’s very therapeutic. No noise, no drama. Just absolute calm.” He took off his back pack and laid it next to a tree. Isla sat against another tree and pulled her knees to her chest. The breeze was cool and strong, giving her a slight chill.

“Thank you for bringing me here. It’s beautiful.” He sat next to her and draped his jacket over her shoulders. They sat staring out at the scenery for a while before Barsad broke the silence.

“You know leaving isn’t going to be easy…” he said.

“Nothing good was ever easy.” she said, twirling a twig between her fingers. “Are you leaving as well?”

He chuckled. “I don’t know where I would go. This is the only life I have ever known.” He stretched his legs out and laid his head back against the tree trunk. “I met Bane ten years ago in Lebanon. He was there with Talia on a mission…something to do with Syria. I was sent by my then boss, to assist them. My Lebanese boss…sold us out to the Syrians. All but two of my men were killed. Those of my team who survived the ambush were taken to Tadmor Prison and forgotten. I only escaped because Bane and his men attacked the prison convoy. My remaining men were killed. Bane pulled me from the gunfire and took a bullet in his shoulder that would have gone through my head.” He closed his eyes, listening to the wind through the leaves.

“I would have died that day were it not for him. I’ve been indebted to him ever since. Talia never forgave me for causing him injury.”

“You didn’t cause him injury…” Isla replied, tossing the twig over the edge of the cliff. “What was Talia like?” she asked.

“Talia was very…assertive. And conniving. She always had a way of getting what she wanted. And she had a way with him. She was convinced that he would marry her and they would build this new League of Assasains. We could all hear when they would argue…mainly her screaming because he had once more refused to marry her.”

Isla snorted. “She sounded like a spoiled brat…”

“Yes…but she was smart. Very tactical. She initiate the entire attack on Gotham City, an no one knew it was her. She was like a virus.”

“How did she die?”

“She crashed a truck.”

“Seems a tad bit anti-climactic for the daughter of what’s-his-name.” Isla began to pull the petals off a small yellow flower.

Barsad laughed. “What do you know of what’s-his-name?”

“Bane told me about him…I know enough.” He laid an arm casually across her shoulder.

“Surely you have some family somewhere? Mother? Father?” Isla asked, laying her head back.

He shook his head. “My mother and brother were killed in Lebanon. I joined the rebel group with my father to fight the Syrians because we had nowhere else to go. He was one of the men killed when we were sold out.” Isla immediately understood why he seemed so cold.

“I can’t imagine what that was like for you…I’m so sorry.” She squeezed his hand. “Our lives are never how we imagine them, are they?” she said. Barsad looked at her with sad, tired eyes.

“No. Never..” he leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the lips. Startled, Isla pressed her hands to his chest and eased him back.

“Barsad…he will kill you…” she whispered.

He smiled and brushed his thumb over her bottom lip. “I just wanted to see what it was that could make him want to change.” He kissed her forehead. “He has always been thought a lucky man. You just stand to prove it.” Isla blushed and hugged him.

“Thank you…for everything.” she said.

The loud cracking of a branch snapped them to attention. Immediately, Barsad was on his feet. He started off into the woods, barely able to make out the silhouette of a man running from them.

He turned to Isla. “Get your things. We’ve been followed.”

“So what? Are we not free to come and go?” Isla asked, grabbing his back pack.
“If there is anything I have learned in this life, it’s never a good thing to be followed.” He helped her up and they quickly began the hike back to the compound.

OoOoOoOo


Isla sat on the balcony, chewing on some ginger root. She watched intently at Bane and Barsad sparring in the courtyard below. Bane was considerably larger than his opponenent, but Barsad was faster. Sweat glistened in the bright sun off both their bare chests. She watched with interest as Barsad deflected a hit from Bane and slipped behind him, attempting to kick his legs out from under him. Bane moved easily aside and tackled Barsad to the ground.

It had been two weeks since Barsad had kissed her by the lake and nothing had been said by anyone. They went about their days as if nothing had happened, and made every attempt to make sure feelings didn’t get awkward.

Bane had been home nearly every night and though he was with her physically, she couldn’t help but notice he seemed distant. Lost in thought. As much as she tried to push it out of her mind, she knew deep down that something wasn’t right, but trusted he would tell her if he wanted her to know.

By now, Barsad stood aside as two other men joined in the fight, attempting to take Bane together. Isla stood and made her way to the stairs and descended to the third floor. A few men lingered around the rooms but paid her no attention as she passed. She froze as she saw Victor exit Dr. Woodrue’s room.

His face was a mask, and as his eyes met hers, he gave her a broad smile. “Good Day Schöne…” he replied, walking past her. She gave no response and continued down to the courtyard. She walked over to where Barsad stood, drinking water.

“Let him get the best of you?” she asked with a smile. Barsad smiled and huffed, attempting to catch his breath.

“Something like that. Feeling any better?” he asked, pouring the remaining water over his head. She shook her hand signaling sort of.

“Still feel like I could throw up.” she said.

“Yea…same thing went through some of the men earlier this week. It will pass in a day or so.” He said, scratching the back of his head.

Isla watched as Bane grabbed one of the men by the throat and slammed him to the ground with a sickening crunch. All of the surrounding chatter died down as all attention was turned to the fight.

Isla watched with shock as Bane began to ruthlessly punch the man on the ground. “Has he seemed a little-”

“Different?” Barsad interjected. “You’ve noticed it too?” he asked. A large crowd had gathered around, trying to intervene.

Isla gasped as blood sputtered from the man’s mouth as he tried to submit.

“Bane!” She ran to him and tried to stop him. “Bane! You’re killing him!” she cried, grabbing his arm. In a blinding flash, he threw his arm back and his fist connected with her face, knocking her unconscious.

OoOoOoOo


Bane gathered her limp body into his arms and angrily scanned the crowd.

“Who is responsible for this?” he asked, eyes wild with rage.

“Du bist, mein Bruder*. It was you hand that struck her. No one else.” Victor called from where he stood on the second floor balcony.

Barsad looked on with a sick feeling in his gut. The side of Isla’s face was already beginning to bruise and blood trickled from her nose and lip.

Bane stared up at him angrily. “Everyone carry on with your training. I will return shortly.” he said.

Barsad followed him as Bane carried her up to their room. “Brother…”

Bane grunted in response, laying her on their bed.

“How…are you well?” Barsad asked.

Bane’s fingers twitched at his sides as he stared at her face. “I have never felt better.” He replied, kneeling next to the bed. “Bring Woodrue to me.” he said, scooping her long hair in his hand and letting it slip through his fingers.

Barsad turned and hurried down to the doctor’s room. There was a heavy knock at the door and Victor entered.

“Might I have a word, brother?” he asked. Bane glanced over his shoulder to see Victor standing with some pictures in his hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
* You are, my Brother.

Yay another update!!! More to come soon! Keep those comments coming. Feel free to offer any ideas or suggestions! They make my day!! Loves to you all!!