A Life Less Ordinary

The Challenge

“Bane!! Stop!” Isla opened her eyes. It was the last thing she remembered before everything went black. The room was dark, lit only by the fireplace. She sat up slowly, wincing from the sharp pain in her head.

“Bane?” she called out.

“Ah. You’re awake” Isla was startled as Dr. Woodrue entered from the balcony.

Isla pulled the blankets up to her chest. “Doctor…”

“How are you feeling?” he asked, walking up to her.

“My head hurts…” she sighed. “I feel sick to my stomach. What happened? Where is Bane?”

“You got in the middle of his fight. He is tending to some business, and asked me to watch over you.” he replied, pulling a small flashlight from his pocket.

“Where is Barsad? He usually sits with me.” Isla had a knot in her stomach.

Woodrue sat next to her. “I haven’t seen Barsad since the fight earlier. Would you please follow the light with your eyes only?” his hand rested on her forehead, thumb lifting the eyelid.

“Your face is going to be bruised…no bones are broken. Can you lay back for me?” he asked. Isla was extremely hesitant but eventually lowered herself down onto the mattress.

Woodrue began pressing on her lower abdomen. “When were you planning on telling him?”

“Telling who what?” she asked, fighting the rising bile in her throat.

“You’re pregnant my dear. Are you planning on telling him?” he asked.

Isla was speechless. She had never paid much attention to her extremely abnormal cycles as they had been irregular all her life. Suddenly she was very nervous. She had been so caught up in the whirlwind that was their relationship, she never stopped to think about pregnancy. Bane didn’t strike her as the fatherly type.

Unable to hold back any longer, she threw her head over the edge of the bed and vomited.

“Please don’t tell him.” she said, head still hanging over the edge.

“He won’t hear it from my lips.” Woodrue said, standing up. “But might I suggest you stay hydrated…and out of his way when he is training.” She heard the door open and shut, signaling that she was finally alone.

OoOoOoOo

Isla woke some time later that night, alone still. From the looks of the room, no one had been there since Woodrue left.

She stood, taking a moment to steady herself. Something was not right. Tying her robe, she opened the door and glanced down the hallway. The silence was deafening as she made her way to the elevator. Pressing the lobby button, she felt apprehension give way to nausea which only increased when she stepped out into the lobby.

No one was there. The closer she walked to the courtyard entrance, she could make out grunts and mumbles.

Pushing her way into the courtyard, she saw all the men gathered in a circle. Fires burned for lighting around the yard, casting eerie shadows on their faces.

“You were my brother…” she could hear Bane’s mechanized voice.

“I am, still. I’ve not done what you think.” Barsad replied.

She began to make her way through them when a hand reached out and grabbed her wrist.

“Isla! You shouldn’t be out here.” Cooper hissed.

“What’s happened?” she asked.

“Just go back inside.” he said quietly. Isla’s brow furrowed in confusion and proceeded to push the rest of the way through.

Bane stood facing Barsad, as if preparing to fight.

“You would believe his word over mine?” Barsad spat, pointing at Victor.

“No. Not his word.” Bane replied. He stepped forward and tossed a handful of pictures in Barsad’s face. “His pictures.”

He grasped at the falling images, flipping one over in his hands. Isla felt as though she would pass out.

Barsad’s chest heaved with anger. “Let me explain!”

“There would have been no need for explanations if you had come to me first. The time for explanations has passed. This is a challenge.” A murmur went through the crowd.

“What is he talking about? What’s a challenge??” she asked Cooper.

“A fight to the death.” Cooper replied.

Isla’s heart dropped and she made to run between them.

“Nein, Schöne. I think you have done enough damage.” Victor said, grabbing her upper arm.

“This has you all over it!” she snapped, yanking her arm free.

Over his shoulder, she saw Bane lunge for Barsad, pushing him back roughly. Barsad threw his arms up on either side of his face to block the punches as best he could.

“I wont fight you!” he yelled. Bane’s fist connected with Barsad’s jaw, sending him stumbling back.

“Then this will be and easy win.” Bane replied, attempting to hit him again.

Barsad dodged the hits thrown at his face, but was unable to move out of the reach of Bane’s legs. He stooped down and viciously kicked Barsad’s knee cap, causing him to scream with pain.

Isla’s hands flew to her mouth and she gasped.

Barsad attempted to punch him, but with his knee injured, his balance was thrown off. Bane stepped to the side as Barsad punched him in the mask. Barsad crumpled to the ground as Bane’s fist made contact with his nose. Blood poured from the gash on the bridge of his nose. He spit a mouthful of blood out and attempted to stand, but Bane brought his fist down on the back of his head, knocking him down to his knees.

Barsad was barely conscious at this point, kneeling on the ground. His face was bloodied and bruised. Once more, bile rose up into her throat.

“Let him be a lesson to all of you.” Bane replied, placing his hands on either side of Barsad’s face. Isla’s eyes widened is horror and she opened her mouth to scream for him to stop, but nothing came out.

“DO NOT TOUCH MY THINGS!” with that said, he gave Barsad’s head a vicious jerk to the left, and then the right. The loud CRACK reverberated down to her core. Barsad’s lifeless body crumpled to the ground in a bloodied mess. Bane wiped his hands on his vest and walked off towards the doors.