A Life Less Ordinary

You're Going To Have A Scar

3

“I need to examine you.” Isla stood, brushing her black hair out of her face.

Bane stepped forward, his face close, trying to intimidate her. “Fifteen minutes.”

She reached behind her, and opened the door to the laboratory. “I need my keycard to get into radiology. I need to get pictures of the damage.” She replied.

“Sutures, antiseptic, bandages. Those are all that I need.” He said, his breath hot on her face. Her anger sparked and without thinking better, she reached forward under his coat and grabbed his right side. He let out an animal-like howl, made more terrifying by his mask. He stumbled back and glared at her.

“You need an x-ray, PA Lateral to be exact. You have a broken rib, maybe two. I won’t know until I have the images.” She slowly felt herself calming down. Her situation was still dire, but not hopeless. Perhaps her would release her when she had treated him.

Bane’s eyes never left hers, he held his hand out towards the lab door. “After you.”

Without hesitation, Isla hurried to her desk and rummaged through the top drawer. He stood before her, arms at his sides, watching her closely. With keycard in hand she made her way back to the stairwell.

“Can you climb? Radiology is on the next floor up.” She stated.

With a grunt, Bane shoved past her, taking the stairs two at a time, annoyed with her for treating him like a weakling. Isla rolled her eyes and followed him. Once at the second floor, she swiped her keycard and entered the code. The door clicked open and she led him through and down a long hallway.

Outside, the storm raged on. Combined with Bane’s breathing and heavy footsteps, the once familiar hallway suddenly gave her the super creeps.

She took a left into a large room marked RADIOLOGY.

“Remove your vest and stand in front of the white board over there.” He took in a deep, painful breath as he removed his vest, letting it fall to the floor.

Isla slid films into the giant camera. She flipped a switch, lighting his body. When she turned to check the lighting and his position, she was taken aback by his body. A black line went straight down and across his body, similar to a target. Looking past his wounds, she could tell that he was in pristine physical condition. His arms rippled with muscles on top of muscles. His chest and abdomen were chiseled to perfection. She found her eyes following his abs down to his pelvis, where they formed a V before being covered by his pants.

“Whenever you are ready, Miss Sloan”

Feeling her face flush, she quickly slid into a lead vest and took position at the camera. “I need you to take a deep breath, and hold it in.”

Bane’s chest expanded as he followed her directions. A beep sounded, signaling that the picture had been captured. He exhaled. She replaced the film.

“Turn to the right please.” He did so, and took a deep breath. Again, the machine beeped. He exhaled.

Isla removed the film screens and inserted them into a large computer.

Bane walked over to her, standing directly behind her. She remained focused on the computer screen as she waited patiently for the images to load.

“Two obviously broken ribs on the right, one probable fracture on the third intercostal.” Jabbing the screen with her finger. She turned on her heel and patted his right side, causing him to gasp with pain. “Lets check out the rest of you.” she said. “Take a seat on the table, and lie back.”

Bane raised an eyebrow, but after failing to stare her down, he begrudgingly did as told. Donning gloves and a mask, she reached above her and switched on the operative light.

He had a large wound under his left pectoral that was bleeding and an even bigger wound in his abdomen. Whatever caused these wounds had to have been extremely hot, the wound was cauterized and surrounding flesh was charred and blistered. Dirt and debris clumped together with blood stuck to the wound. Bits of flesh had begun to peel from the burns.

“You’re going to have a scar…” she replied, collecting water in a needless syringe.

“One more for the collection.” He replied.

She commenced to irrigating the wounds, washing away blood and dirt.

“Your vest took the brunt of the force so the abdominal wound isn’t an open one.” She pressed her fingers into his abdomen, causing his body to tense with pain. “Your abdomen is soft so there is no internal bleeding that I’m aware of. The wound under your pec needs to be sutured and I don’t have any Lidocaine to numb it with.”

“Just do it. I do not fear pain.” He said.

“I will do it last. Right now, I need to remove your mask. There is blood coming from under it.” She moved to unclasp the latches on the sides.

Bane grabbed her hand roughly. His eyes had a craziness to them that made her breath catch momentarily. “No.”

Isla wrenched her hand free, rubbing it with the other. She was going to enjoy suturing him with no anesthesia.