A Life Less Ordinary

The End....

Bane pressed his body to the cement floor, trying to avoid the wings of the bats that flew above him. The room was pitch black, but he could hear the flutter of the wings.
Sweat drenched his body and waves of pain washed over him.

Suddenly the fluttering stopped. The only noise he could hear was his own ragged breathing. He groaned as he felt the pain peaking again. Then he felt the feather light touch of cool skin against his hot face.

He opened his eyes, trying desperately to focus. “Isla?” he croaked. The cool hands stroked his face and forehead, attempting to soothe him. He blinked hard. His breath caught in his throat and her face came into focus.

Her long hair fell over her shoulders. Her cheeks flushed as she smiled down at him. He reached out to her and pulled her down, meeting her lips with his own.

“Isla…are you-” he stopped short as her face suddenly twisted in pain. She threw her head back and screamed, her hands clutching at her abdomen.

He sat up quickly, trying to grab her, only to grab cool damp air. Looking around frantically for her, she was no longer there. He fought back the rising bile in his throat.

Her ear piercing scream had him on his feet and at the door in a flash. The door was locked. In an animalistic rage, he gripped the bars on the window of the door, pulling with all his might. “ISLA!!” he screamed. He pounded on the door repeatedly with his fists until they were bloody.

Her screams filled his head. He beat at the door and screamed her name until his throat was raw. He slid to the ground as powerlessness flooded him. He could hear her sobs echoing down the hall, tears filled his eyes.

“VICTOR YOU BASTARD!” he screamed before blackness enveloped him and he fell into unconsciousness.

OoOoOoOo


A vicious blow brought Isla to perception. Tasting the blood in her mouth, she tried in vain to keep the contents of her stomach from reappearing.

“Sleeping Beauty awakens…” Victor’s voice set her heart rate bounding. Two men pulled her roughly to her feet.

Victor stood before her, a subtle smirk playing on his lips. “Time to make your debut for the grand finale…” he hissed, lifting her hair to his nose and taking in a deep breath. She tried to jerk her head away as he forced a kiss on her lips.

She cried out as they began to drag her away.

OoOoOoOo


“Rise and shine.” Bane sat up with a gasp as ice cold water was splashed on him. Jameson and a solemn faced Cooper stood before him.

“Victor wants you.” Jameson said, attempting to pull him to his feet. Bane pulled his arm away.

“Where is Isla?” he asked through gritted teeth.

“With Victor…”Cooper said. He and Jameson pulled him to his feet and led him down the hallway of the basement, up the stairs and to the lobby.

His heart nearly stopped. Isla was on her knees, Victor standing behind her with one hand possessively on her shoulder. Immediately the rage took over and Bane made to lunge at him, only to be brought to his knees by a crack to his legs from a metal rod.

Landing on his knees, he fell forward as the rod collided with his back. Hearing Isla’s whimper, he took a deep breath and pushed himself up to his knees.

“That’s quite far enough…” Victor said, brandishing a knife. Someone behind him grabbed his arms and zip-tied them behind his back.

Bane knelt on the floor approximately eight feet directly in front of Isla. Her face was bruised, her lip split and nose dripping fresh blood. Her eyes were bloodshot and swollen. He felt as if his heart had dropped to his stomach and wanted nothing more but to scoop her up and take her away. But in doing so, he knew the odds weren’t in their favor.

“Isla…” he watched her eyes slowly rise to meet his.

“Bane…” she whimpered. She yelled as Victor yanked her head back by her hair.

“Let’s get down to business, shall we?” Victor asked. Bane gave a jerk as he tried to stand but was quickly pushed down onto his knees.

“What do you want?” Bane asked, never taking his eyes off Isla. He could see the tears streaming down her face.

“I want everything. So I plan on starting-” He pointed at him with the blade. “With you.”

“With me…” Bane said.

“I remove you, and take over. In doing so I gain your power and move on to create a new Order of the Brotherhood. Better than the League of Shadows. The world’s powers will know my name.”

Bane glared up at him, refusing to respond.

“No kind words for me, Brother?” Victor asked. When Bane said nothing, he reached forward and ripped the night gown from Isla’s chest, leaving her naked and exposed before everyone.

With a wild scream, Bane was on his feet. Victor barely had a moment to register before Bane’s forehead collided with his nose in a violent head-butt. Blood began to pour from his nose and he staggered back. Immediately four men tackled Bane to the ground but he still fought to get to her. With a scream, he pulled his arms apart with all his might, the veins in his neck bulging. There was an audible SNAP as the zip ties broke.

Isla was openly sobbing, watching in terror as they began to beat him.

Victor wiped his nose on his sleeve, still clutching the knife. “Fighting for the woman you love…oh so noble.” he said. “STOP!” Victor barked.

The men paused in their melee. Bane was crawling towards her, blood pouring from his mouth and nose.

“Let the knight in shining armor hold his princess one last time…” he said.

Bane was no longer listening as he pulled himself to his knees and pulled her to him in a tight embrace, breathing in her scent. Sobbing, she buried her face in his chest.

“I’m so sorry…” she cried.

“It’s alright…you’re going to be alright.” he whispered, feeling his throat constrict with emotion.

She looked up at him, her eyes wide, face streaked with blood and tears. “W-whatever happens“ she swallowed hard. “…I love you.” she whispered between sobs.

His eyes filled with tears to the point of blindness as he pulled her head to his chest and kissed her forehead. “My God…I love you so much. Never forget that.” his voice was strained. “You are everything good in this world, and I know our child will be loved.”

Isla closed her eyes and listened to his heartbeat. For a moment, just one brief moment, she felt home. A pair of hands around her arms brutally ripped her from that moment.

She screamed, reaching out for Bane as she was pulled just out of his reach.

Bane stared at her, breathing heavily through flared nostrils.

“A beautiful last memory…” Victor said. He looked at Bane, smiling. “Unfortunately for you, there will be no legacy to continue your name…” he said, plunging the blade deeply into Isla’s abdomen.

Bane’s eyes widened as the words registered too late.

An earsplitting scream erupted from her lips as he withdrew the blade, wiping it on his pants. Isla clutched at her bleeding belly, hands shaking as she tried to stop the bleeding. Distantly, she could hear Bane’s screams and cries like a wounded animal. She felt herself falling, then hitting the ground. It all felt like a bad dream, surreal.

She looked at Bane, her face on the cold ground, and reached out a bloodied hand towards him.

“I’LL KILL YOU!! I’LL RIP OUT YOUR HEART!!!!” he screamed, fighting off the men that beat him. Victor’s deep, raspy laugh sounded through the air like the devil himself.

Four men grabbed him by his arms, forcing him once more to his knees. One of the men gripped his chin, forcing him to look forward.

Victor knelt down next to Isla, staring at Bane. “Look at her…one last time…” he said, lifting her hair and letting it cascade through his fingers.

“DON’T TOUCH HER!” Bane barked.

She tried to find her voice, but could only mouth his name, her arm still outstretched to him. She could see Dr. Woodrue standing by the stairs, a look of horror on his face.

“End this.” Victor ordered.

Isla watched as Bane’s head was pulled back. The world seemed to stop.

He smiled at her, feeling the cold blade slide across his neck.

“NNNOOOO!” Isla screamed.

Bane felt the hot blood pouring down his chest. He fell to his knees, crawling towards her.

She cried, dragging herself to him. Even with the mortal wound, his grip was strong as his hand found her own.

“I’m so sorry Bane….” her voice was barely audible.

“Leave them to their death. There is work to be done.” Victor said. As the darkness slowly approached, she could make out the men as they all turned their backs, following Victor to the basement.

There was a sickening gurgle as Bane tried to speak.

“I l-love…you…” her body trembled uncontrollably as she fought to stay awake. He squeezed her hand, eyes boring into hers.

Her eyes were the last thing he saw before succumbing to the darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END IS NIGH!!!