A Life Less Ordinary

Retaliation

Bane opened his eyes, momentarily forgetting where he was. The sound of someone moving next to him brought him to full attention and he sat up quickly. Reaching out with an animalistic growl, he grabbed the person next to him.

“Bane! Wait! Wait!!” Schneider cried as he wrapped his hand around his throat.

Bane’s eyes were wild with rage as he squeezed. Schneider’s face began to turn a deep red and he gripped Bane’s wrist.

“We…saved…her.” Schneider gasped, pointing towards his left.

Bane looked in the direction Schneider pointed. Isla lay under the window on a pile of dusty blankets. Immediately he loosened his grip and stalked over to her, collapsing by her side.

She was unconscious and her face was pale. His hands glided over her body hovering just above the skin, too afraid to touch her. He could see her chest rising lightly.

“Isla…” he croaked. His throat felt as if he had swallowed fire. He reached up to his neck, feeling the bandages.

“Don’t…You might re-open the wound.” Schneider said, extending the mask. Bane looked at the mask, his eyes narrowed.

“Where are we?” he asked.

“In the attic.”

“How long?”

“Two days.”

“What happened?” Bane asked.

Schneider sat across from him. “Victor tried to kill the both of you…”

“Yes. I realize that. But why aren’t we dead?” Bane snapped, taking the mask.

“We brought you here-”

“Who is we?” he demanded, staring down at Isla.

“Cooper, myself, Theo, Cortes, and Luca…And Doctor Woodrue.” Schneider said.

“Woodrue is a dead man.” Bane said, taking Isla’s cool hand in his.

“With all due respect, Isla would have died if it weren’t for him.”

Bane glared at him. Schneider held his hands up. “When Victor stabbed her, he severed an artery. With everything we were doing, she would have died. Woodrue found the artery and fixed it. He fixed you too.” He pointed to Bane’s throat.

Bane was silent as the news sunk in, brushing Isla’s hair back gently. “What about the baby?” he asked quietly.

“According to Woodrue the baby should be fine. But we need to get the two of you out of here.” Schneider said.

There was a light knock on the door. Bane stood, ready to fight.

“It’s alright. It’s probably Cooper or Luca.” Schneider said, walking to the door. He knocked once. When two knocks responded, he opened the door. Cooper walked in.

“Thank God you’re awake.” Cooper said.

“I am. But she is not.” Bane said.

“She lost a lot of blood. It’s going to take a little while.”

“What about Victor?” Bane asked, pulling the blanket up to her neck. He stood and faced the two men.

“He has dispatched men to meet with the other leaders. He has promised the men Venom.”

Bane arched a scarred brow. “Venom?”

“He is sporting a mask similar to yours.”

“How so?” Bane began to pace, his hands behind his back.
Isla shifted in her sleep. Schneider knelt next to her, feeling her brow.

“Woodrue, however much you despise him, is a genius. He was able to build a mask resembling yours, one good enough to convince Victor that it is yours.” Cooper said.

“What is he planning to do?” Bane asked.

“He is trying to mass-produce the Venom. He plans to create a superior group men.”

“Let me guess…he plans to take over the world?” Bane mused, looking down at the mask.

“He’s planning something, that much I know.” Cooper replied. “It was suggested by the doctor that you wear the mask to promote rapid healing…” he said, pointing to the mask.

“Very well.” He slid the mask over his head, breathing deeply as the cartridge released the familiar mist.

“We need to get you guys out of here. The helicopter is just outside-” Schneider said.

“No. You need to get Isla out of here.” Bane said sharply.

Schneider stood. “You need to go with her.”

“I NEED TO MAKE SURE HE DIES.” Bane barked.

“Isla needs you more.” Cooper said. “I want to see Victor get what’s coming to him more than anyone, but you need to take care of her first or all of this will be for nothing.”

Bane stared at her unmoving body, seething. “No. Victor dies first. She will never be safe so long as he still breathes. Bring me Woodrue.”

OoOoOoOo


It was nearly half an hour before Luca arrived with Woodrue in tow. Bane sat by the boarded up window next to Isla, stroking her hair.

A single candle lit the small area where they sat, casting an eerie glow on his face. The knock sounded, Schneider responded with his knock, opening when he heard two more knocks.

Woodrue followed behind Luca, keeping his distance from Bane.

“You asked for me?” he said.

Bane said nothing, just stared at him, smirking as the doctor was visibly uncomfortable with meeting his gaze. He stood and slowly walked towards him. Woodrue slunk backwards against the wall. Bane stood with his face mere inches from Woodrue.

“You saved us. Why?” Woodrue gave a visible start at Bane’s voice.

He searched for the right words. “Because I can understand the things you do. Victor’s actions were pure evil. Watching what he did to you…to Isla…will haunt me for the rest of my days. I could not have lived with myself if I had not intervened.”

Bane narrowed his eyes. “But you didn’t intervene, did you?”

“If I had intervened when the two of you were attacked, he would have killed me. I chose to stay quiet knowing that I would be alive to try and help.”

Bane exhaled slowly, trying to calm himself. “She has not woken up yet.”

“That is not uncommon for someone in her state.” Woodrue walked to her and knelt down, feeling for her pulse. “Her heartbeat is considerably stronger than it was two days ago. I’m afraid to tell you how close we were to losing her. But it takes time to recover from this kind of trauma.” He lifted her eyelid gently, shining a small light in it.

“Her pupils are reacting to light, which shows us she isn’t in a coma.” he said, lowering the blanket to her pelvis. Bane made to stop him, but Schneider blocked him.

“He’s only checking the wound…” he said. Bane glared at him but Schneider didn’t back down.

“He’s come in every day-sometimes twice a day to check it.” Luca replied.

“We have to make sure the wound stays clean. It would not do for it to become infected.” Woodrue replied, lifting the blanket back up to her chin. He looked at Bane. “It looks rather clean.” He sighed. “I don’t suppose I could sway your decision to stay?”

“No. Its final.” Bane replied, looking down at her.

“Do you have a plan? Because as strong and able as you are, there are a few hundred men down there who think you to be dead, and wont hesitate to kill you again.”

“And what would you suggest, doctor? Sneak up on them while they sleep and slit their throats?” Bane asked.

“You and I both know that wouldn’t work.” Woodrue said with a dark smile.

“And what would the great doctor recommend?” Bane asked, sitting next to Isla on the floor.

Cooper stepped forward. “We poison them.” he said.

Bane stared at him, considering the possibilities. “How do you propose we do this?”

“I’m the cook. I will slip it in, no one would be the wiser.” Cooper said.

“And what exactly is it?”

“Venom. A very potent dose.” Woodrue replied.

Bane took a deep, raspy breath. “You’re certain that this will work?”

“It will. And no one would be the wiser. The Venom is very fast acting when given in high doses. Those who don‘t die quickly will be rendered incapacitated. Then we can slit their throats.” Woodrue said.

“What about Victor?”

“He left by helicopter and wont be back for two days. By then, we will have the upper hand.” Cooper said.

“There goes our chance at getting her out of here…” Luca said.

Bane was silent for nearly a full minute as he stared at Isla. She groaned and he lay a hand on her forehead. “I’m here…Please waked up…” he whispered, laying his forehead against her own.

Her eyes fluttered, but never opened.

“When do we start?” he asked finally.

Woodrue clapped his hands together. “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been one for procrastination.”

OoOoOoOo


Hearing the screams from the other side of the locked doors of the Lobby, the man tried to kick his way through. He yelled in an unknown language and was pulled back by a pair of strong hands.

His eyes widened at the sound of Bane’s mechanical voice. “Too late brother.” The man’s screams turned to gurgles as Bane plunged the blade into his neck.

Wiping the blade on his vest, he kicked in the lobby doors. Men lay everywhere, dead and dying. The few who had not been poisoned or killed, were backed against the wall, held at bay by Luca, Schneider, Woodrue, Cooper, and Cortes wielding guns.

Bane stepped over the mutilated body of one of his soldiers. The smell of death and vomit hung thickly in the air. He pushed his way between Cooper and Theo, relishing in the look of confusion and fear on the faces of the survivors. He grinned maliciously.

“My brothers…you look as if you have seen a ghost.” he said, clenching his fists. “It seems I have lost my way.” he lifted his left hand.

Theo walked into the lobby, his gun pointed into the back of one of the men.

“I feel I should remind you all…” Theo shoved the man to his knees before Bane. Bane grabbed the man’s jaw, forcing his mouth open. “Of why I am who I am.” He looked over his shoulder. “Doctor, if you would be so kind.”

Woodrue stepped forward and began to force a long hollow tube down his throat. The man gagged and tried to pull away but was held firmly in place.

“We’re in.” Woodrue stated, looking at Bane.

“You thought I was displaying signs of weakness…” he was handed a small explosive the size of a quarter, lit it, and slipped it down the tube leading into the man’s stomach. He writhed in fear, but Bane held him steady. “Shh. It will all be over soo-”

There was a deafening explosion and the man fell to the floor. His chest had been blown open, splattering bits of gore and blood onto everyone.

Bane nudged the corpse with the toe of his boot and looked once more to the small group of men. “A fate much worse than his awaits you.” his voice was pure evil.

One of the men spoke up. “What about Victor? He will kill us either way.”

“And how would you prefer to die? By the hand of a coward or honorably?” Bane asked.

“What man would choose to die when he can live forever?” Everyone turned to see Victor and four men standing in the main entrance.