A Life Less Ordinary

Awake

Bane looked over his shoulder and grinned behind the mask. “I would hate to live forever by your standards, Victor.”

Victor smiled. “Bane. You rise once more from the grave. Like Lazarus from the dead. A pity your little bitch couldn’t join you. I would have liked the opportunity to see her face as I tickled her insides with my blade once more.”

Bane’s fury flared and he stepped forward. Cooper grabbed him by the shoulder.

“He’s trying to get a rise out of you…” he whispered. Bane shook him off and walked towards Victor slowly.

“I made you kill your best friend….” Victor taunted.

Schneider leaned towards Cooper. “I thought you said he would be gone for two days.”

Victor laughed a deep laugh. “Did you think that I wouldn’t notice the six of you tiptoeing around? If I gave you any information, why did you think it would be accurate?”

“The only reason you stand where you are now, is because you were too weak to fight me like a man.” Bane replied, stopping before him.

Again, Victor chuckled, looking over Bane’s shoulder to Woodrue. “Doctor. I commend your work. The mask fooled even me.” He looked at Bane, a smile still on his face.

“What did you hope to accomplish from all of this?” Bane asked.

“Well I had hoped to have a few more men…but I suppose I will just have to make do with the ones I have. Shoot them.” Victor commanded.

There was a moment of heavy silence followed by the clicking of guns.

Bane smiled. “It seems your men have some loyalty issues.”

Victor’s smile faded as he was jabbed in the back by the barrel of a gun. His arms slowly went into the air, surrendering. “Well played, brother…Make it quick.” he said.

Bane stared at him with cold eyes full of barely controlled rage. To end him now was so enticing. It took every last bit of his will to stop from killing him.

“There will be nothing quick about it. Take him to the basement and lock him up. I have many plans for this one.” Bane replied.

OoOoOoOo


Schneider leaned over to Bane. “She’s awake.” he whispered. Bane looked at him, eyes wide and jerked his head in the direction of the elevator. Schneider retreated.

“You chose wisely, my brothers.” Bane said, pacing slowly. His hands were tucked behind him and his eyes bore into the eyes of each man before him. “Survival is human nature, and I cannot blame you for being human. What I can blame you for…” there was the unmistakable sound of guns loading. “Is standing by while the mother of my unborn child was tortured and humiliated. That goes against our teachings. And that, I cannot forgive.” He turned and made his way to the stairs.

The screams of the men as they tried to shield themselves from the gunfire filled the now empty halls of hotel. But they fell on deaf ears.

Bane was more focused on Isla. He hurried up the stairs and into the attic. Schneider sat next to her on the floor. She was still very pale, her hair was tangled and matted with dried blood.

“Bane!” she cried, trying to sit up. Schneider laid a hand on her shoulder.

Bane hurried to her side, kneeling next to her. “I’m here…” he said.

“Bane…I saw them kill you…” she said, tears filling her eyes. He scooped her into his arms and held her.

“No no no. I’m very much alive.” he whispered, brushing her hair back. He couldn’t stop the tears that welled up in his eyes. “I prayed to whoever would listen…to spare you…” the tears fell from his eyes onto her face. His hand rested just above her stomach.

She looked up at him, eyes wide. “The baby-”

“Is fine…” he said. A sob escaped her lips and she buried her face in his chest.

“And Victor?”

“Is going to get everything he deserves. Don’t worry yourself with him. How are you feeling?” he asked.

“Hungry…”

He looked up at Schneider.

Schneider smiled. “I’ll get some food…”

“Schneider, send up the doctor, would you?” Bane asked.

Schneider nodded, closing the door behind him.

They sat in silence, wrapped in each other’s arms.

“What happened? How did we survive?” Isla asked.

“Cooper and Schneider, Theo, Luca, Cortes, and Woodrue. They hid us, Woodrue saved us.”

“And the others? I head gunfire…” she said.

“Dead. Victor is the only one left. But not for long.”

“And then?”

“We leave.” He said. Isla looked up at him and he cupped her face in his hands. “Wherever you want to go, we will call home.”

“Whatever you have planned for Victor…” Bane tensed, prepared to defend his plans.

“I want to watch.” she said, bitterly.

The comment took Bane by surprise and he nodded.

There was a knock on the door. “Sleeping Beauty awakens.” Woodrue said, walking over to them. He knelt next to Isla. “How do you feel, my dear?”

“Tired, hungry and sore.” she said, sitting up straight.

Woodrue checked her eyes, shining a light in them. “That is completely expected, considering your situation.”

Isla grasped his hand, taking the old man by surprise. “Thank you, doctor. For everything…” she said.

Woodrue smiled. “My dear, I am many things, but a monster is not one of them.” he glanced at Bane, then back at Isla. “May I examine your abdomen?” he asked.

Isla nodded. Bane helped ease her back onto the pallet. She held onto his hand as Woodrue palpated her abdomen as gently as he could. She winced as his hand neared the wound.

“The wound is healing nicely-”

“What about the baby?” she asked, looking up at him.

“He stabbed you in your upper abdomen.” he drug his finger across her lower abdomen. “The uterus is here. As far as I can tell, the baby should be alright. Saying that, your body was put through a very traumatic event. You lost quite a bit of blood. It is imperative that you stay hydrated and well rested.” he said, covering her up once more.

Isla sighed. “I’ve been resting for days now.”

“Doctor Woodrue is right. You need to rest.” Bane said.

She was about to protest when Schneider entered with a tray of food.

“Eat now. Then we are moving you back down to our room.” Bane said.

“Don’t leave me…” she said, looking up at him.

He smiled at her from behind the mask. “I’m not going anywhere, dearest.” he said, kissing her hand.

OoOoOoOo


As the next few weeks passed, Victor was left in the basement cell with only water to drink. His taunts and jeers slowly turned into requests for food. Then the requests became demands, which soon turned into pleading. Each of the remaining men took turns guarding the door, never speaking a word to him.

Isla slowly regained her strength. When she was deemed able, Bane and Schneider moved her into their bedroom, newly cleaned and prepared.

She took in a deep breath as Bane set her gently on her feet. He insisted on carrying her, ignoring her feeble protests. Ever grateful for him, she looked up and gave him a smile.

“It feels wonderful to be out of that attic.” she said, walking out towards the balcony. She stopped short of the balcony edge. It had been three weeks since Barsad had died. She closed her eyes as the images of his final moments flooded her memory.

“You should rest.” Bane said, laying a hand on her shoulder.

She gave a violent start as his voice brought her to. The movement didn’t go unnoticed by him.

“Isla-”

She shook her head and turned to him, forcing another smile. “You didn’t know…” she said, stroking the exposed skin of his cheek.

He said nothing as he stared at her. She looked so tiny and frail, visibly changed from her attack. He could hear her screams in his head and was overcome by an terrifying thought.

“Did he force himself on you?” he asked.

She opened her mouth, but no words came out. Her eyes glazed over with tears. He felt an immense fury wash over him. He pulled her into a strong, protective embrace.

“No one will ever hurt you again as long as I live and breathe Isla, I swear it.” he said, pressing her to his chest.

She closed her eyes, focusing on his heartbeat. “Let’s just leave tonight…please?” she asked. He lifted her into his arms and carried her to their bed.

He looked down at her, brushing her hair out of her face. He was very tempted to take her away that moment, but vengeance took over.

“Soon…” he said. “Get some rest. I’ll send Cooper up with some food.”

Isla kissed the mouthpiece of his mask gently. “I love you.” she said.

He pressed his forehead to hers, closing his eyes as he breathed in her scent. “And I, you.”

Without another word, he signaled for Schneider and the two men exited.

OoOoOoOo


“GET UP!” Bane growled, giving Victor a vicious kick to his ribs.

Victor rolled onto his stomach, gasping. “What can I do for you this beautiful day?” he asked, pushing himself to his knees.

“I come with good news for you, brother.” Bane said, looking up at Cortes and Theo.

The two men grabbed Victor’s arms and hauled him to his feet.

“And what would that be?” he asked, smiling.

“I’m setting you free.”

Victor eyed him suspiciously. “And why would you do that?”

“Because I am better than you.” Bane said. “I am willing to give you the power you so relentlessly pursued on the condition that you swear to never come after me, or Isla again.”

“So the little bitch did survive.” Victor spit a glob of blood on the floor at Bane’s boots. “I accept your offer. You are not worthy of such power. That you would just give it away so easily is proof enough.”

Bane smiled and removed his mask, handing it to Woodrue. “Oh how I had hoped you would accept.” He relished in Victor’s confused look as he was forced into a large wooden chair. His wrists were zip-tied tightly to the armrests.

“What is this?” Victor asked angrily.

“With great power comes great responsibility, brother. If you can handle the mask, then you are worthy of its power.” He smiled as Cortes held Victor’s face in place and the mask was lowered. Victor was breathing quickly and his eyes were wild with fury.

“The trick is to breathe deeply. The Venom is metabolized by the body that way. I will leave you to it, then.” The men exited the room. Bane paused in the doorway and looked back at him. “I should have mentioned the slight side effects. The worst will be over in a few hours. I will send someone to check on you in the morning.” he turned off the light and closed the door.

OoOoOoOo


Isla dozed in the bathtub, rubbing her stomach gently. She hummed along with Iron and Wine’s Sea and the Rhythm as it played over the speakers.

“You’re so beautiful…”

She looked over her shoulder and smiled. Bane leaned against the doorway of the bathroom, his arms crossed over his chest.

“You took off the mask?” she asked.

He nodded. “It no longer suited me.”

“Come join me.” she said.

Needing no more persuasion, he removed his clothing and stepped into the hot water, settling in behind her.

“Isn’t the water too hot for you?” he asked.

Isla laid back against his chest. “It’s not that hot. Besides, it relaxes me.” she said, laying her head back on his shoulder.

He rested his hands on her stomach, the realization of being a father finally settling in.

“What are you thinking?” she asked.

He was silent for a moment as he looked for words. “We’re going to be parents…”

“Mm hm…” she rested her hands over his.

“I’ve only ever taken lives…I’ve never created one.” he said, resting his cheek against her head.

“Take it as a chance for a new beginning. When we leave, we leave this life behind.” Isla said, turning to look at him.

“We will. I swear it. I’ve never lived what you would call a normal life. But I will do anything I have to do, to give you the life I never had…” he rubbed her stomach.

“Was that directed at me or the baby?” she asked with a laugh.

“Both. And I mean it. Whatever I have to do.” he replied.

“I don’t care if we live in a gutter, as long as you are with me.” she said.

He sighed and looked at her. “I hope I can be a better father than my own…”

Isla turned her body fully, wrapping her legs around his waist. She took his face in her hands and kissed his nose gently. “You will be. I know you will.”

He entwined his hands in her hair and kissed her. She wrapped her arms around his neck as the kiss deepened. It felt like forever since the last time they’d had any intimacy and she felt his body immediately respond to the desire.

Closing her eyes, she leaned her head back as his lips trailed down her neck. Then he stopped, his lips resting against her throat.

“I think we should wait…” he said.

“Why??” she asked, looking up at the ceiling.

“You’re still healing…” he said.

She sighed. “I don’t care.”

He grabbed her face gently, forcing her to look at him. Her eyes finally locked with his own and he gave her a big smile. “My dear…my love…I want nothing more than to whisk you away to the bed and have my way with you. But you are healing from serious injury and you are carrying my child. You need time to heal fully.” he ran his fingers through her hair.

She stifled a yawn. “Alright….” she pouted.

He smiled again and stood, extending his hand. “Come. Let’s go to bed.”

Isla took his hand as he helped her out of the tub and led her into the bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave comments!! I thrive off of them! They're like crack.