A Life Less Ordinary

I Hate You

Isla woke with a start as massive hands gripped her and pulled her from the trunk. For a split second, she thought she was saved. But as she became more coherent, she realized he was the one who had pulled her out. She didn’t know how long she had been asleep.

“Can you stand?” he asked.

“Yes!” she hissed, shoving him hard. The sudden rush of blood to her limbs caused a pins and needles sensation that made her cringe. “Where are we?” She demanded.

“I require a different vehicle. We are going on a road trip.” He stated. Her heart sank.

“So you aren’t going to let me go.” she said, holding back the tears.

He shook his head slowly. “Your services are still required.”

She took in a deep breath and looked around. They were in the middle of nowhere and it was still dark. She could make a run for it!

Her hope was destroyed when she remembered the collar, her hands instinctively clutching her neck. She glanced sideways.

Bane was staring at her, smiling with his eyes. She let her hands drop helplessly to her sides. She was too tired and sore to run anyways.

“Let’s go.” He said, taking her by the arm once more.

Isla sighed as she was led into the brush off the side of the road. “You know someone will find my car with your prints on it.” She said.

“Will they now?” He asked, stopping. She screamed as her car suddenly burst into flames.

“What do you want from me?!” she cried. He yanked her to her feet and they started once more through the brush.

She trembled under his grasp, the feeling giving a boost to his morale. He shoved past branches and thorns with ease, not stopping to prevent them smacking Isla in the face. Thorns tore at her exposed arms. At one point, a branch snapped back and hit her in her right eye. She cried out and covered it with her free hand.

“Pain is weakness leaving the body.” He answered. She began to seethe.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked. He said nothing as he finally pushed out of the brush into a clearing. They were in someone’s back yard.

“Not one word from you.” He said, his voice threatening. She bit her cheek as he led her forward towards the house.

Adrenaline pulsed through her body. He could feel it in her wrist. Silently he made his way to the side of the house and glanced around the corner.

“Do not slow me down, girl. You will regret it.” He said as quietly as the mask would allow.

“I wont if you tell me what you are going to do.” She snapped, not bothering to lower her voice. But he said nothing, instead he yanked her arm hard, dragging her behind him as he crossed the front yard. She kept silent as he stalked up to the black Yukon XL parked in the road. He looked in the windows before determining that it wasn't locked. He opened the driver’s side door and pushed Isla in.

“Get on Interstate 81, then merge west onto 80.” He ordered, getting into the backseat.

She secured the seat belt, started the SUV and they were off. She adjusted the rear view mirror so she could see her reflection. Her right eye had a small cut and the beginnings of a bruise and dirt was smudged on her chin and nose. Her hair was damp and a mass of tangles and twigs. Disgusted, she fixed the mirror so she could see behind her again.

The bluish glow of the dashboard made his look more ominous. He was slouched back in the middle of the backseat, his head leaned back. She exhaled quietly, glancing at the clock. Just after three AM.

“You going to tell me where we are going? And why?” She asked, looking again in the rear view mirror.

He sighed, but never moved. “And what makes you privy to that information?”

“I don’t suppose anything makes me ‘privy’ to that information. I just think I need to know where we are going since I am driving. I mean, in case we get pulled over or something.” She made sure to give privy an English accent for added attitude.

“We are going to Chicago, Miss Sloan. And you would do well to avoid getting pulled over.” He said.

“At some point I’m going to have to pee. And eat. And eventually sleep. Did you make room in your brilliant plan for any of that?” she snapped.

“You wont have to pee if you don’t eat or drink. If you get tired, I would suggest turning on the air.” He replied. Isla’s stomach lurched at the though of food.

“You want my help, then you need to work with me. I need to eat and rest.”

“My dear this is not a democracy. Or do you need a reminder?” he lifted his head and met her gaze in the mirror.

She gripped the steering wheel and focused on the road. He laid his head back again.

“I hate you.” She whispered.

“Good.” he replied.