A Life Less Ordinary

She Smelled Of Eucalyptus

Isla groaned and stretched. For just a moment, she felt like she was home. She opened her eyes and was met with her own reflection. ‘What the hell…’ She sat upright and looked around. The room was dark but she could see the light trying to peek through the curtain. She looked down and realized she was naked.

“Good morning.” Bane stepped out of the shadow of the far corner of the room.

Isla yanked the blanket up to her chin her face getting hot. “Did we…Did you-”

He gave a short, mechanical laugh. “You should be so lucky.” He said.

“How did I get in the bed?” she asked.

“I carried you. You were unconscious in the shower.” he replied.

She flopped back onto the bed and pulled the blanket over her head. This was all so unreal. Like something she would see in a movie. She wanted something different in life, but this was friggin crazy.

“We need to discuss our plan.” She heard him say.

Isla huffed under the blanket. “Our plan?? This has nothing to do with me.” her voice was muffled.

“That is where you are wrong. It has just as much to do with me as it does you.”

“I don’t see how. YOU kidnapped me, remember? It’s not like I was in on it.” She said, still under the blankets.

“Maybe not…But you did open the door for me last night. You also used your key card to access company equipment after hours on someone who was not a patient in your facility. And you stole medical supplies. Not to mention the SUV parked outside. The police will have a time believing you.”

She could hear him shift his weight, causing the chair to creak. Her nostrils flared as she exhaled angrily. “Mother fucker…” she said, more to herself than him. He was right.

“Would you like some food? I’m sure you must be starving. I could hear your stomach growling from across the room.” His voice was so nonchalant.

Isla sat up angrily, pulling the blanket from her face to glare at him. He sat leaning back, bare chested, his right arm draped casually over the back of the chair, left arm resting on his thigh. Whatever angry retort she was going to throw at him caught in her throat. The momentary silence was interrupted by her stomach attempting to eat itself to survive.

His eyes crinkled at the sides from his hidden smile.

“Pizza…” she said, narrowing her eyes.

oOoOoOo


Twenty minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Isla waited as Bane retreated to the back of the room, out of sight. She wrapped the towel around her and opened the door.

“Hi…uhhhmmm. Pepperoni and mushroom pizza…?” The delivery guy eyed her curiously.

“Yep.” she popped her mouth on the “P” and tossed him twenty dollars, then grabbed the pizza and soda and kicked the door shut with her foot.
She was practically foaming at the mouth as she pulled the gooey slice out of the box.

“Want some??” her speech garbled by pizza.

Bane took his seat at the table, watching her devour the pizza in nearly three bites. “Not particularly…No.”

“How do you eat with the mask on anyways?” she asked, licking her fingers.

He stared at her for a moment before answering. “I take it off, of course.”

“So why wear it then?” she took a long gulp of soda, wiping her mouth on the towel.

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “It is an analgesic delivery system, of sorts.”

This peaked Isla’s interest. She arched an eyebrow. “That so?” she started on her second slice. He gave a slight nod.

“Elaborate.”

“You wouldn’t be interested. Finish your food.” he said, nodding his head in her direction.

She snorted. “You don’t eben know anuthin ‘bout me.” her mouth full of pizza.

“Don’t I?” he asked, leaning back in the chair. “Isla Sophia Sloan…parents are Dean and Lori. Your favorite color is blue, you were born in Elizabeth City in 1986. You are a nurse. You are also indecisive between Braveheart or the Patriot. You like loud music…and pizza. And you have a cat, made apparent by the long white strands of fur in your car. You talk entirely too fast”

She swallowed the last of her pizza. “Only when I'm scared. I read an article once…it was a study. Said that criminals were least likely to kill a hostage if they knew personal things about them….and Baxter The Cat likes to ride in my car.” She pulled the blanket up the her chin and laid back against the headboard. “Your turn…”

Bane smiled with his eyes. “I wear this mask as result of an experiment…” He started.

“Gone wrong?” She watched him closely.

“No. It was a success. The experiment had killed all other subjects. For some reason, I responded well to it.” He looked down and flexed his hands. Isla absentmindedly stroked the collar at her neck, as he continued.

“But now, I rely solely on the serum the mask was made to dispense. If I don’t have it, I will go into withdrawal. In the beginning, the mask was connected to tubes that were implanted into my back. Through the years, they have been removed, the serum compacted into more potent cartridges. The mask delivers the serum, much like an inhaler for an asthmatic, constantly for months at a time.” He had no idea why he was telling her any of this.

“So you are a masked drug addicted man.” She sipped her soda.

“I suppose so.”

“How did you come about your injuries?” she asked.

Bane stood. “That is a story for another time, I’m afraid.”

“Can you take the mask off for an extended period?”

He flexed his arms, and tilted his head, popping his neck loudly. “The longest I have tried was three hours. But it wasn’t without consequence. After I replaced the mask, the serum, Venom-”

“Venom?”

“Yes. That’s its name. As I was saying…once I put it back on, the serum’s potency caused some adverse reactions. I will only leave it off now if entirely necessary.” He replied.

“Speaking of wounds…or not. I need to change your bandages.” Isla said, sitting up. “May I borrow your coat?”

He handed her the coat and turned his back as she slid into it. He turned when he heard it zip, and couldn’t suppress a smile. The coat hung down to her knees and the sleeves covered her hands to the fingertips.

“If you require my expertise, Bane, then I require clothes. And deodorant. SIT.” She pushed him into the chair and tucked her hair behind her ear. He looked up at her, arching his brow questioningly. She reached behind him and flipped the light switch, then she knelt before him to get a better look at his chest.

“The burns look better today…but you feel warm.” she pressed her fingers into his abdomen, causing him to groan. “I thought the Venom was a painkiller…” she said, removing the bloodied bandage from the second wound.

“It is…” he grunted. “But this cartridge is almost out, so the effects are not as strong.” he replied.

The exposed cut was red and hot around the edges. She pressed around the perimeter gingerly. “This one is infected…and you have the beginnings of a fever. I need to get your temperature so I can keep track and make sure the antibiotics are working.” She stood and rummaged through her bag. She pulled out the thermometer.

“I need you to take off your mask.” she said. He tried to stand.

“Absolutely not. Take it under my arm if you must.” He said. Isla grabbed his side, causing him to groan, then pushed him back into the chair. He looked at her angrily, causing her to flinch slightly.

“The underarm is not a reliable source. So its either you take off the mask or I ram this up your ass. The latter is fine with me.” she snapped, angry at his stubbornness. He glared at her for a good minute, taking in a deep breath and exhaling slowly, but she refused to back down. Finally, he looked away from her and she new she had won.

Bane was uneasy with the whole situation. No one had seen him without his mask since the day it was put on. He only ever took it off when he was completely alone. Now, with hands that felt like lead, he reached behind his head and peeled the mask off. It hissed angrily before detaching completely. He kept his head bowed, and took in a deep breath. He took advantage of the opportunity to breathe in fresh air. The room smelled of pizza and eucalyptus. She smelled of eucalyptus.

“Now lets have a look at you.” Isla said.

Reluctantly, he raised his head, meeting her hazel eyes with his own.

Isla gasped.