A Life Less Ordinary

It Is More Beneficial To Take Than To Ask

She was expecting some sort of disfigurement. Some horrible scar or…something. But his was a handsome face. He had a scar over his right eyebrow, that split it in two. His eyes, she hadn’t failed to notice, were a dark shade of hazel with flecks of gold around the iris. His lips were full, and pointed up at the corners, giving them a secretive look.

“Are you ok?” Her face flushed and she jumped slightly. Bane’s voice was deep and raspy, but an entire world away from the mechanical voice she had gotten oddly used to.

“Yeah…sure. Open up.” He opened his mouth and she inserted the thermometer. Isla could feel his eyes on her as she tried to find a different focal point. But her eyes kept wandering back to his face. She attempted to steal another glance at him, only to find him watching her. After what seemed like an eternity, the thermometer beeped.

She looked down at it. “101.4. You definitely have something going on.” she looked around in her bag and pulled out a bottle. “You need to eat something before you take this or it will upset your stomach. It will bring down your fever.”

She set the pills on the table and handed him a slice of pizza and cup of soda. “Eat, then you need to sleep.”

Bane sighed and picked up the pizza. He felt his stomach gurgle in anticipation. Isla smiled slightly as he took a bite, sitting on the edge of the bed before him.

He paused, mid chew. “Something on your mind Miss Sloan?” he asked.

“Why did you take me? Why not one of the doctors?” she asked. Bane commenced to chewing. She waited patiently for his answer, but when it didn’t come, she stood and walked towards the bathroom.

“You were the first one I saw.” he said. She stopped and turned, leaning against the doorway, her eyebrow arched in question.

“I wandered onto the premises, half out of my mind with pain. I was hiding in the brush nearly all day, falling in and out of consciousness. The storm brought me to attention. While I was looking around for shelter, I saw you staring out the window and thought for sure that you had seen me.” he took a gulp from the cup of soda on the table.

“I didn’t see you…” she said, crossing her arms.

He nodded, turning the cup in his hands. “That was apparent when you opened the door.” He gave a short laugh as he remembered the previous night’s events.

“I needed help and you were the only one there. A doctor is too high profile. People would notice if one went missing.” He replied.

That sparked her anger. “Oh I see. No one will notice the quiet single girl. I’m pathetic enough to be kidnapped.” she cried.

“Trust me, there is nothing quiet about you. And I didn’t mean it that way. I simply meant that…” he pursed his lips and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “I don’t know what I meant. I’m sorry if I offended you.” he said.

“I suppose that doesn’t offend me as much as the EXPLOSIVE COLLAR you snapped around my neck!” she spat.

“Would you have come willingly if I had asked you to? If I had told you that I needed your medical help, needed you to transport me into Canada so that I could escape, would you have said ‘Yes’?” he asked, rubbing his face with his hands. He was feeling disoriented from the fever.

“Probably not. But you could have at least asked first.” she knew right away how dumb it sounded. He laughed.

“I could imagine how well that would have gone. In my experience, Miss Sloan, it is more beneficial to take rather than to ask.” He replied.

“How very barbaric of you. You should have just thrown me over your shoulder or drug me out by my hair.” she said, walking into the bathroom and slamming the door.

“Are you going to be going to sleep in the shower again?” he asked, amusement in his voice. She paced back and forth in the small bathroom before yanking the door open.

“You are an ass.” she said, walking back out into the room. She plopped back onto the bed. “But if you must know…” she exhaled with the realization. “I would have considered going with you.” she said. He looked up at her, slightly surprised. She brushed her hair back.

“My life has never been anything special. I spent most of my life in boarding school. My mother was absent and my father may as well have been. I don’t have anyone that I could call a true friend. I haven’t had a boyfriend in six years. I haven’t had sex in five. My sole comfort is my cat…” she sniffled as tears threatened. “I’m turning into the crazy cat lady…” she whimpered.

Bane shifted in his seat, then popped two of the pills in his mouth, chasing them with the soda.

“My life has been at a boring stand still for so long.”

“So come with me.” Bane said. She looked at him as if he had suddenly sprouted two heads.

“I’m already here, Bane. You didn’t give me a choice.” she snapped. He stood up so suddenly that Isla nearly fell off the bed. He was in her face in an instant. She slunk backwards.

“I’m giving you one now…Isla.” he replied, his hands reaching behind her neck. His voice saying her name caused her stomach to flutter slightly. Before she could say anything, she felt the collar fall from her neck, into her lap. His grabbed her chin, turning her head slightly. His fingers brushed the bruises on her cheek gently, then the bruises on her neck.

“I’m sorry for these…” he said quietly.

She swallowed hard. “It’s ok…” she said quietly. Bane locked eyes with her for a moment before nodding slightly, then returning to his chair.

“I’m still going to need clothes…” she said.