Music Store

1/1

Sree flipped through the pages of the guitar magazine but her eyes only glazed over. She was absolutely bored. She was seated on a high tool, behind the counter of her father's music store, her body hunched over.

Gently throwing the book away, she lifted both arms to cross behind her head. She leaned back to get more comfortable and completely forgot that she was on a tool. Finally realizing this, she twists her upper torso around and gripped one of the shelves behind the counter.

Her eyes darted around the store to see if her slip was caught. She sighed with relief. Finding nothing else to interest her, she bent down to reach for her bag. She placed the bag onto the counter and pulled out her latest assignment, as a way to help her pass the time.

Her glance roamed up to the clock above a row of guitars. It had been twenty minutes since her father had driven away. To pick up new instruments, he had said. Usually he wouldn't have taken this long but she had an inkling he probably took a detour towards their house. Her mother had taken the day off because she wasn't feeling too well and her dad most likely went home to check up on her.

The mere thought of her parents' relationship brought a smile upon Sree's lips. Ever since she was a small child she had always wished to have a marriage like her mum and dad's one day.

The bell by the door rang and alerted Sree out of her thoughts. She looked up, eyeing the newcomer hoping it was her father. Her heart sunk when she found it was just another customer. Nevertheless a - what she hoped was - genuine smile replaced her disappointment. "Afternoon. Need help with anything?"

"Um," the customer murmured unsure of what to say. Sree's eyes raked over the boy's figure wondering why he had chosen to keep his sunglasses on inside of the building. She shook the thought away and waited for him to continue. "Is the owner here?"

Sree sighed as she wished he was. "No but he should be here soon. I'm his daughter. Why?"

Without another word, the boy walked away examining the music store. Sree frowned at his rude manner bothered by his presence. She continued to watch the boy as he wondered around the place, sometimes brushing his fingers over the instruments.

In defeat, she decided to not let the stranger frustrate her. She veered her attention back to the assignment. I hate college. That was the only thing she could think of as the boy in her store haunted the back of her head.

"Excuse me?" Sree was already familiar with boy's voice and her head snapped up. She raised a brow, inviting him to say it. "Is that you Sree?"

At his inquiry, she flipped the history book back to the front page and folded her arms against her chest. She eyed the boy once more doubt still in her mind. To prove his point, he eventually slid off the shades perched on the bridge of his nose to reveal his whole face.

Sree's expression changed but he wasn't sure if it was good change, or not. Surprise seemed to be taking most of her features. She brushed her fringe back, earning time before gazing back into those piercing blue eyes of his. She would've recognized those eyes anywhere. And she loathed the fact that she knew him.

"Yeah it's me," she said keeping her tone neutral. A few moments of silence settled between the two young adults before Sree grew tired of it. "What are you doing here, Zach?"

He smiled sheepishly. "I saw that sign," he muttered gesturing towards the window facing the street, "and I wanted to get a job and yeah. That's why I'm here."

Sree was absolutely sure that all blood drained from her face as soon as those words left his lips. Though she didn't allow him to see it. "Fair enough." But it simply wasn't fair.

Her father had been so desperate to hire someone new. Sree wasn't always free as she was sometimes busy tutoring or babysitting her younger brother and her dad had an actual job, working on ships. They had opened up the music store due to her father's love for music and he didn't want to shut it down because nobody was there to take care of it.

As soon as her father found out about a young man, the same age as Sree, he wouldn't even hesitate to give him the job. Her heart skipped a bit as she began to ponder about days when her and Zach would be alone. She chewed the edge of her lip knowing it wasn't exactly going to be a smooth ride for her.

"Okay let's stop this please," he suddenly spoke up.

She frowned towards him, wondering what on earth he was on about. "Excuse me?"

Zach emitted an unnaturally deep breath, taking the few steps closer towards the store counter. He gazes at Sree hoping that this stare would've broken down her walls. She glowered at the sapphire eyed boy in front of her. This was why she wouldn't allow her father to hire him.

"Take me back?"

Sree swallowed down some invisible lump of something, clearing her throat. Nobody knew of their history together and she was definitely not starting to show everyone that now.

She wasn't normally weak, she was tough with thick brick walls all around her. But Zach knew a different story. He knew of her innermost thoughts, her deepest feelings and the things that made her twitch - he was her best friend after all.

Best friend and boyfriend, that is. Neither one of them was sure of what had happened to their relationship. But ever since then, they acted as if the other never existed. Sree looked up at him again finally glad to see him again. "I'll try but I can't promise."

Zach grinned at her. "That's all I needed to hear."

After their small reunion, the bell rang for the second time since her father left. The couple turned their heads towards the door. "Hey Sree. I'm back!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Idek c: